The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-06-2013, 07:09 PM   #26
capev86

Re: Meet Earl. '71 C10 Suburban

with just a front sway bar there will still be a fair amount of body roll out back but a front sway bar will give a million times better control than no bar. the truck won't wobble around on corners. i can drive my 40 year old truck nearly as aggressively as a modern rig thanks to the sway bar. the stiffer springs out back will help with rear sway a bit.

as for shocks, you can go cheap replacement, kyb's for a bit of improvement, or you can get Bilsteins like i did. German engineering for the masses. just like with the front sway bar, there are a lot of similarities between the 71-72 and 73-87 so shocks for the next gen trucks will fit if you don't see them listed. for the rear, the front shocks for a vintage (late 60's?) Toyota Land Cruiser are a pretty good fit. luckily i keep a log book in my truck so here's the part numbers for ya~

front: 24-192941
rear: 24-002486

if you prefer black over the normal yellow/blue and want to spend big bucks ($400 instead of $250), there is an online shop that sells 'em specially calibrated for our trucks. could send you the link in a pm if you want to go that route. i wanted to save a bit of $$$ and the blue on yellow compliments my Hawaiian blue Suburban anyway.

as for the HD springs, only upgrade the rears and you should be ok with the ride quality as you won't be riding in the back seat much. with the trailer hitched up, all things will be even!
capev86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:53 PM   #27
RyanAK

Geez that's generous info! Thanks again man. I really appreciate it.

I'll def go with Bilsteins. I had them on an S-10 that I had in high school and loved them. Any time I replace shocks, I go with Bilsteins.

I'm glad I'm going the "stock plus" route with Earl. When I started looking at Suburbans, I had sorta decided that if I ended up with a C10 that had already been fooled with that I was going to do a "what if" build and have a 1969 Chevrolet Suburban Super Sport. Think Chevelle SS in 'Burb sheet metal. "Stock plus" is so much more achievable.

But I still think I'll have an SS Suburban some day. Ha.

R
Posted via Mobile Device
RyanAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 12:04 PM   #28
RyanAK

Suspension complete for now (2"/2") and rust repaired. The drop created a few new squeaks... Now on to the wiper motor (anything that's easy to test before tearing it out? it's just really, really slow) the headlight relay mod, and then some horsepower upgrades. This place has been a huge help. Thanks for all the generous info!

Meet 'Earl', '71 C10 Suburban - Sold, but not forgotten...

Meet... yet to be named, ‘78 K10 Suburban Daily Driver
Old 09-26-2015, 05:13 PM   #29
Average Joe

Glad to see you still have your Burb Ryan. She looks great. Did you ever get your Bilstein shocks?

An Average Joe and His 'Burb:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=775843
Average Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 07:33 PM   #30
RyanAK

Guess I haven't updated in a while... Before the trip from Hobbs, NM home to PA, I put new Bilsteins on all four corners along with front and rear sway bars. Plus 15" rallyes and Cooper Cobra radials. Huge improvement over stock. Just finished the suspension with 2" drop springs up front and new springs plus 2" lowering blocks out back.

Hoping no issues come up... The rear drop puts the sway bar and U-bolts pretty close to the ground and the front seems like it might not be sitting perfectly level. Still, it handles REALLY well. And it looks great too.

R
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-26-2015, 09:29 PM   #31
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
I would try to size your pictures down before you post them. It is really hard to look at them that way.....

LockDoc
Attached Images

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote