The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-21-2022, 07:49 PM   #1
Harrison.

Front wheels not centered in wheel openings

Is this normal? I can’t tell if it was accentuated by lowering it and 20” wheels. I can’t figure out how it would be adjusted?
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Harrison. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 08:41 PM   #2
Myself

Re: Front wheels not centered in wheel openings

Unfortunately YES,.....it's normal.
Myself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 11:41 PM   #3
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Porterbuilt sell a set of tubular control arms that move the wheels forward for really low static dropped or bagged trucks.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 08:07 AM   #4
special-K
Special Order

Looks fine to me

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 10:57 AM   #5
cericd

A flip to show the off-centeredness better. And yep, it's normal.
Attached Images

My 1970 SWB C/10 - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=534872
cericd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 11:33 AM   #6
Harrison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cericd View Post
A flip to show the off-centeredness better. And yep, it's normal.
Thank you for that, could not figure out how to fix it on my phone.

And thanks for the replies, looked wonky to me just wanted to make sure there wasn’t something wrong.
Posted via Mobile Device
Harrison. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 11:44 AM   #7
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison. View Post
Is this normal? I can’t tell if it was accentuated by lowering it and 20” wheels. I can’t figure out how it would be adjusted?
Posted via Mobile Device
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post
Porterbuilt sell a set of tubular control arms that move the wheels forward for really low static dropped or bagged trucks.
While the Portebuilt 1" forward arms will definitely make a difference, you can also do the Caster mod to stock arms which will help. Lowering & trying to achieve modern caster numbers kick the top ball-joint toward the firewall. The more aggressive you go w/Caster, the closer it moves to the firewall. That being said, you want aggressive Caster numbers.

The Caster mod on the stock lower arms shifts the lower BJ's forward while keeping the uppers in the stock position. This mod negates using extra shims on the uppers for the modern/improved Caster goal. While it doesn't shift the C/L of the front hub as far forward as the PB arms would, it doesn't cost much to do vs. buying new parts. The additional benefits of the PB arms is improved geometry, Delrin bushings, & tubular construction (more rigid vs stock).

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ght=caster+mod

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=563219
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 12:44 PM   #8
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Looks fine to me
Same here...

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 09:29 PM   #9
CC69Rat

73-87 kmember swap will fix it too. But it's a lot of work. As others have said, it's normal on the 67-72s.

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 01:02 AM   #10
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC69Rat View Post
73-87 kmember swap will fix it too. But it's a lot of work. As others have said, it's normal on the 67-72s.
This is a new one on me.... How does the 73-87 x-member make a difference?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 06-23-2022, 06:42 AM   #11
CC69Rat

The guy that had the Gold 69/68 Dad and I put together a few years ago owned a front end alignment shop. When I bought the truck, it was just a frame, cab, and 69-70 front clip. The truck was titled as a 69, but we swapped it to the 68 front sheet metal.

But anyway, we bought it with the front kmember already done. He told us it came out of an 84 Silverado. They swapped it over to get disc (of course) and the 1.25 rotors, etc. But he also told me the center line of the uca / lca ball joints was slightly more forward than the 67-72 design. The geometry is different, Steering, etc. I know enough about rebuilding front end stuff just to get by, basic alignment etc but it kinda makes sense. The 73-87 front swap is a direct bolt in, he told me you just have to drill 2 holes (?) Or maybe it was 2 per side. I'm old, and it has been a minute.

Maybe the way the kmember bolts in, square vs 67-72 is positioned slightly more forward? But the stock UCA / LCA are noticeably different and the suspension cycle, and / or compressed I can see where the earlier trucks cycle more toward the back of the front fender well than a true up/ down cycle, not changing the center line and position of the wheel as it cycles (if I'm making sense? It's early..)

But anyway, they swapped it in and this guy knew his front end stuff, that's for sure, .. old timer. No hacking on the frame or anything, he told me a direct bolt in other than drilling the extra holes. I have a 67 now with the earlier kmember under it and I still have some pictures of the 68 with the 73-87 kmember I can post up if it helps.

My best assumption would be the way the control arms cycle, more up and down with no lateral shift on the 73-87. And the 67-72 especially with a shorter spring will allow that cycle to shift the wheel back slightly in the wheel well. Just my .02

I didn't do it personally but.. Side by side at shows and stuff, there was a noticeable difference. My 4.5/6.5 ish static vs a similar 67-72.

1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
Old 06-23-2022, 08:06 AM   #12
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC69Rat View Post
The guy that had the Gold 69/68 Dad and I put together a few years ago owned a front end alignment shop. When I bought the truck, it was just a frame, cab, and 69-70 front clip. The truck was titled as a 69, but we swapped it to the 68 front sheet metal.

But anyway, we bought it with the front kmember already done. He told us it came out of an 84 Silverado. They swapped it over to get disc (of course) and the 1.25 rotors, etc. But he also told me the center line of the uca / lca ball joints was slightly more forward than the 67-72 design. The geometry is different, Steering, etc. I know enough about rebuilding front end stuff just to get by, basic alignment etc but it kinda makes sense. The 73-87 front swap is a direct bolt in, he told me you just have to drill 2 holes (?) Or maybe it was 2 per side. I'm old, and it has been a minute.

Maybe the way the kmember bolts in, square vs 67-72 is positioned slightly more forward? But the stock UCA / LCA are noticeably different and the suspension cycle, and / or compressed I can see where the earlier trucks cycle more toward the back of the front fender well than a true up/ down cycle, not changing the center line and position of the wheel as it cycles (if I'm making sense? It's early..)

But anyway, they swapped it in and this guy knew his front end stuff, that's for sure, .. old timer. No hacking on the frame or anything, he told me a direct bolt in other than drilling the extra holes. I have a 67 now with the earlier kmember under it and I still have some pictures of the 68 with the 73-87 kmember I can post up if it helps.

My best assumption would be the way the control arms cycle, more up and down with no lateral shift on the 73-87. And the 67-72 especially with a shorter spring will allow that cycle to shift the wheel back slightly in the wheel well. Just my .02

I didn't do it personally but.. Side by side at shows and stuff, there was a noticeable difference. My 4.5/6.5 ish static vs a similar 67-72.
Everything I've learned about this front suspension indicates it's a direct bolt-in because the geometry is unchanged. You can run 63-72 a-arms on a 73-87 x-member or 73-87 arms on a 63-72.

I've been studying & tweaking on C10's since the mid 80's & have never read nor heard where there was an update or revision to the Squarebody specific x-member geometry that changed the original design parameters.

I'm not calling you out but I definitely question/challenge that statement w/o further supportive information. I'm all about learning stuff so if you could ask him for more specific technical info I'd appreciate it.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 06-23-2022, 09:20 AM   #13
CC69Rat

Opinions? This is a 73-87 swap. Stock 73-87 control arms. McGaughys 2.5" spindle and 2" Big Block drop springs. All new underneath, all Moog. 20x8.5. 255/45.

I don't know what it is exactly and the old fella is somewhere in Corbin KY or I'd ask him. I don't have a way to get in touch with him. But as I understand it he just bolted in the swap, drilled the extra holes and this is what I ended up with. Everything else is stock as far as I knew. (Sold the truck, so I can't really tell you for sure)

I'm always for learning too, and I wish I could tell you more but honestly man this is all I've got to offer. It would be interesting to research it though.
Attached Images