The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-30-2014, 08:00 AM   #1
tonythezeek

The Return of Missy

I've been meaning to make a build thread but never got around to it... but as time has sloooooowed down a bit, I figured now would be a good time to start.

I've actually had the truck since 2000. It is a 1962 Stepside and I drove the hell out of it in my home town. It eventually took me across FL to go to college in Jax. Long story short, the engine died (due to mechanics that relied on computers to do anything automotive) and it had to go back home to people I knew I could trust. As it was my only means of transportation and being in college, sacrifices had to be made and getting it back to Jax was a very low priority.

As time passed, things got stable. I was out of college and wasnt living in an apartment anymore. I now had a garage to tinker in and a few resources at my disposal. So, in 2008, I brought her back to Jax

tonythezeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:06 AM   #2
tonythezeek

Re: The Return of Missy

...she was in rough shape...

I could have left it alone but there were a lot of issues after sitting for so long in the elements.... cancer spots, surface rust and some weird electrical issues. Also parts for these trucks usually had to be ordered and I didn't want to be stuck somewhere if I had something like a ball joint go out. ...so I joined this forum and MAAAAAN the ideas started flowing.

My first thought was just to update parts so I could acquire them at a local auto parts store. But after soooo many awesome builds, I realized that I wanted a bit more. ... let the deconstruction begin.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:13 AM   #3
tonythezeek

Originally, i was going to go with a crossmember from a 73+ truck. Was able to score one for the cheep and also was able to secure the rest of the front suspension too. ...that quickly changed when I heard about a company called Porterbuilt.

After I saved up enough and learned how to weld... I was glad i made the change

Old 04-30-2014, 08:15 AM   #4
tonythezeek

Old 04-30-2014, 08:50 AM   #5
tonythezeek

Now that I had the front on the ground, the focus shifted to the rear. I decided to do a notch.

and later on, put the front metal back on

This is when I realized I would need some cuts to allow the tire to travel without obstruction.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:58 AM   #6
tonythezeek

I also wasn't comfortable with the gas tank being inside the cab of the truck. Dont get me wrong, I drove it for years and it really didn't bother me much... but now I have a family and it is really hard to get your loved ones into a vehicle that smells like a gas station. Time for a new tank.

but before putting it in its resting place, I needed to make sure the axle stayed in place. I dont really know why I decided to go with a watts link vs panhard bar... but I did... and here it is
Old 04-30-2014, 09:09 AM   #7
tonythezeek

After a while, she was able to move on her own so I brought her out into the light.

By no means is she ready for the road... at least not yet. A lot of the work I have been doing was what I considered "Phase I". The goal was to get all (or most) of the suspension work done. There are a few things I need to go back and re-address or complete. I still need to do rear brakes as well as adjust the rear bag mounts.

I also need to finish installing/purchasing the air management system. Right now she only has schrader valves. As soon as I am comfortable with that, I can move on to "Phase II": Interior... and there isnt much of one to begin with lol

The last phase with be body work/paint. I figured I should be really comfortable with the torch by then so there should be any boo boo/mistakes to cover.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:20 AM   #8
1963c-10

Cool project and you've done a lot already. Glad to see its under its own power again.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=619024
1964 Short bed trailer
1963c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:31 AM   #9
CaliberNick

That suspension setup looks awesome so far. Keep up the good work.
CaliberNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 11:32 AM   #10
tonythezeek

Thanks guys!!!

So, it is hurricane season here in Florida which means lots of surprise rain and thunderstorms almost every day. But there is a lot of body work that needs to be done. I sanded down the fenders a while back to bare metal again which was a lot of work. I have been really swamped with work so I really haven't been able to devote as much time as I'd like to on finishing sanding the rest of the truck down. Then there is the urge to drive this beast and get it road read to drive to a show and shine later this month... and considering that there is a different "paint theme" going on on all four corners of the truck, something had to be done.

I've been toying around with the idea of "dipping" the truck as a temporary means of protection against the elements (the day after I worked on the bed, i started noticing little areas of surface rust popping up). It was also bothering me that i didn't have a consistent paint all the way around... so i did something about it.

here it is with just the flat black. was really suprised that it spayed on this easy and for the most part smooth

then i decided to up it a notch and add a little red to the mix

The stuff i used was Plastidip. This stuff is so easy to work with, both in spaying and clean up and seems to be hella forgiving. This was the first time I picked up a spray gun and I think it turned out okay. Heck, this was the even the first time mixing paint (later on I found out I didn't have to thin out the paint because it was already thinned).

You can see from the first two photos there a lot of over spray on the glass. after it dried a bit (about 15-30 minutes) most of it pealed right off like a giant sticker and the rest cleaned up with a bit of glass cleaner.
Old 06-02-2014, 12:18 PM   #11
Ta2Don

Lookin' Good!!!

Subscribed...
Proverbs 27:17
US Air Force Retarded errr Retired
My '65 Stepper Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=533920
My '60 Rusty Patina Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...66#post7402266
My '72 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...59#post7204359 SOLD
Ta2Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 01:59 PM   #12
C@rnut001

Your truck is looking great. You have done an excellent job on the suspension and the body is looking great too. Keep up the amazing work and please keep updates coming.
C@rnut001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 05:16 PM   #13
rusty76

Really neat truck. Can't wait to see more.
My build thread
Crossmembers CC
rusty76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 11:38 PM   #14
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Looks good! I'm sub'd!
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 08:04 AM   #15
Zane M

Great stuff so far.
Plastidip is a nice temporary alternative to keep things covered up until it is time for real paint. Unfortunately it isn't exactly cheap.
Zane M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 08:43 AM   #16
tonythezeek

I totally agree Zane, it isn't cheap. But considering the alternatives, it is pretty effective. I dropped around $200 for everything... not something I would usually do for something temporary... buuuuuut it says it has a life of about 3 years. Not saying I'd keep it on that long but it is nice to know that if it does need to stay on for a longer period of time, it can.

Also, patching it up (in the event of a scratch) is ridiculously easy. You could either have a spare spay can and tag the trouble area or use a little bit mineral spirits or paint prep to return it back to a liquid like state and work it over the area.

...i do admit, i have to fight the urge to peal off the paint at times (throwbacks to childhood and obsession with pealing stickers)
Old 06-03-2014, 12:22 PM   #17
ChevyFreak60

Cool looking truck! How are you liking the plati-dipping so far?
1965 Chevy Fleetside 4X4
1960 Chevy Fleetside BBW 2wd
ChevyFreak60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 09:41 AM   #18
tonythezeek

Okay I guess. Really haven't had it out and about yet but aesthetically it is pleasing. It also has an interesting texture... it isn't smooth which makes since because of what it is made of.

One thing that does bug me is that now it is painted (even though temporary), I have to be a bit more careful around the garage when working on/around it. No more moving at top speed with all sorts of sharp, pointy objects in my hands nor do I rest things that are really abrasive anywhere on the paint.