The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 60-66 Suburbans

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-28-2014, 01:26 PM   #1
CaliberNick

CaliberNick's 1962 Panel Build

Hey guys, came across this 1962 panel and i really dig it. It was a good deal so I bought it and have some plans to clean it up and customize it a bit to my liking... but first a bit about me. I have been a chevy guy for a while, but really love anything car related. I actually have only ever owned american cars, but i see how a 240Z Datsun or a GTR or Supra can be cool too. I currently have in the stable a 1969 Camaro Convertible (not original at all), My Daily which is a Dodge Caliber SRT4 (about the fastest thing I've owned), and a 2006 Harley Street Bob, and now this. I have also had a 1970 Chevelle Malibu, and 1987 Grand National, 1979 Trans Am at one point an 80's K10 (that I only kept for about two weeks).

A little bit behind where this Panel sits right now. It seems the previous previous owner did a lot of work to get this riding nice, but never finished it off. The last PO had it for 2 years but didn't really do anything to it. Now it is mine and I am going to finish the project off and make a cool shop truck. i already have received many compliments on it, and everyone who sees it agrees, it is in fact cool.

I took a look at it closely and this is what I found. It has an SBC V8 now (I think it was pulled from an 80's Camaro or Monte, have to find the block code and check) Auto Trans, It is lowered using springs out back (not just heated ones either), It has drop spindles and power disc brakes up front. Also added were front and rear sway bars. The frame is solid, as is the entire body. The interior is nothing special, right now it has two bucket seats from an 80s camaro and a monte carlo tilt steering column, The paint has plenty of imperfections and some bust bubbles starting to appear around the drip rails and lower doors. Overall it runs good and drives as smooth as a new car. I am really happy with my purchase and hope to learn a lot about this platform from you guys.

Now the important part... Pictures.

CaliberNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 01:06 AM   #2
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: CaliberNick's 1962 Panel Build

Welcome to the forum

Yes that is a good looking panel. I've always liked the panels but the only one I've owned was a parts rig.

Keep us posted on your progress.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 06:46 AM   #3
lucifer

Cool Re: CaliberNick's 1962 Panel Build

Looks like an solid panel to start with!

Welcome to the forum.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:33 AM   #4
chakah

I likey, very nice CaliberNick, welcome
'66 swb C-10
'63 Panel
'60 VW vert
'56 VW vert
chakah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:38 AM   #5
CaliberNick

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer View Post
Looks like an solid panel to start with!

Welcome to the forum.
Thanks, I got lucky. It had to be something solid for me to even think of starting with because we just don't have the same parts availability he in MA as guys down south do. But, that also means in this area this is a very rare sighting, in fact it is the only 60-66 panel I have ever seen in person, it's actually kind of rare to even see a 60-66 C10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chakah View Post
I likey, very nice CaliberNick, welcome
Thanks, I saw pics of your panel, very cool, love the patina, and bags are sweet, keep it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
Welcome to the forum

Yes that is a good looking panel. I've always liked the panels but the only one I've owned was a parts rig.

Keep us posted on your progress.
Will do. First step is updating the front interior a bit and addressing some rust before it gets out of hand, but there is plenty more to come, maybe one day I'll be one of those guys with a 60 page thread, hahaha.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:12 AM   #6
CaliberNick

I meant to ask... What is the value of one of these in the condition as it sits right now?

It is running driving, will be registered and insured soon, I don't see any reason (other than a missing wiper) that it would not pass inspection. Like I have said the interior isn't spectacular but besides the bench and original column it is all there. and the paint has flaws, but they are small enough you can't really tell in pictures.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:45 AM   #7
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Good looking panel.

Not sure what you mean by not having the original bench. They never came with bench seats, they had panel specific bucket seats.
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 11:09 AM   #8
CaliberNick

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy_mike View Post
Good looking panel.

Not sure what you mean by not having the original bench. They never came with bench seats, they had panel specific bucket seats.
Oh ok, cool... Well it doesn't have the original seats, they look out of an 80s camaro.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:32 PM   #9
chakah

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy_mike View Post
Good looking panel.

yup, and I'm in the search if anybody hears of any
'66 swb C-10
'63 Panel
'60 VW vert
'56 VW vert
chakah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 11:03 AM   #10
CaliberNick

So now that I dove in head first into this project... I have actually researched a bit and looked over the major changes between 60-66 and I have to say, even though I grabbed this panel because it looked cool, was the right price, and stuff like this seldom pops up where I am, I probably would have stuck to the 62 or 63 anyways if I had multiple options to begin with.

First off, the hoods on the 60-61 is just not to my liking, I'd venture to guess they could probably be switched pretty easy, but why start with something you don't want.

The "knee-knocker" windshield (why is it we call it this anyways?) is much better looking IMO and adds a lot to the style. It's something that really drew me to this truck. And of course that is something that can not be swapped. So strike 64+ from my list.

So now I'd be looking at just 62 and 63... I think I prefer the grille of the 63. Easy swap I'm sure, or I may swap to a GMC or 61 grill, depends what I find and at what price. (Any links to threads about grill swaps?)

The only other major change is the suspension up front. Between the two I'd think the 63 had a better suspension setup from the factory, but since this one was already taken care of, I have no problem with the 62 setup.

Also just a small thing... but the 62 emblems look the best of all C10s ever IMO.

When buying the Camaro, Chevelle, and GN I knew ahead of time those were the years I would prefer. The Caliber SRT4 only was made 2 years (08 and 09) mine is a 2008... would have preferred the 09 because of some minor differences, but they are so rare and hard to come by that I jumped on the 08 when I found it.

Overall, after having this purchase sink in, I have to say I am even more satisfied with my purchase than I was the day I bought it.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:05 PM   #11
MikeS.

Good looking panel. Congrats and Welcome to the board.
Triluminar Lodge #117 GL of WVa

My 1963 4x4 Suburban build;
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=531274

My Gallery, now with pics of my 1966 C30 motorhome.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...&ppuser=103447
MikeS. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 11:38 PM   #12
CaliberNick

Found the casting number on the block under a layer of grime... 14016379. Looks like its a 350 as I suspected, from a 77-79 car. It's mated to a turbo 350 trans. My guess is it came a Camaro or Monte Carlo since the column was definitely from a monte and the seats looked like camaro buckets. Besides dropping the pan is there any way to tell if its 2 bolt or 4 bolt main?
Old 05-01-2014, 12:04 AM   #13
CaliberNick

More digging... The steering column (or at least the old wheel on it) was from an 86-88 Monte Carlo. Like I said, that was the old steering wheel, because tonight I fitted a wheel from a '56 Bel Air. Still need to get the horn hooked up, but I think it looks worlds better, I actually prefer it over a stock C10 wheel. While I was in there I also ripped up the rubber mat that was falling apart and cleaned up all the wiring under the dash. Once I get my new shifter ordered I'm going to pull out the old one and the seats and throw in a mint bench seat from a '70 chevelle... Sure this thing is going to be frankenstien's monster, but that's how hot rods are right,I'd rather have a mix of the coolest parts from different cars than a bunch of off the shelf parts. Anyways... To the important part, pictures.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:33 AM   #14
CaliberNick

Found another number on my engine block (they keep popping up as I wipe away grease)

First one was the Block Casting Number 14016379. Looking at different sites it ranges from a '77-85 Car or Truck 350ci either 2 or 4 bolts.

Then I found the Engine ID Number VA134832. Which looking around I am having trouble deciphering as it does not have the typical suffix code.

Also I found no Vin Code... Could this have been a crate engine?

If it is a crate my guess is the V=Flint Engine plant, A=January, 13=13th, 4832=P/N

Next on my list is to pull the numbers from the heads and from the holley carb and see what those are exactly.
Old 05-16-2014, 02:57 PM   #15
CaliberNick

Was up late last night getting the shifter in. Went with the American Shifter deluxe version with side detent shifting and the 23" swan leg arm. The shifter and hardware was great (although they give you so many extra bolts and nuts) but the shift knob is the cheapest thing I have ever seen, worse than any of the crap you can buy at autozone. That will be gettin thrown out and replaced quickly.

I am also going to pick up a bench and a grille from a '66 tonight. I have read the grilles basically swap out, and the bench should be just as easy. Once I throw that in Ill get some new pics up.

Also thinking about colors. Found one color called Tequila Lime Gold that looked really cool. Was thinking it would look good with either black or Dark silver accents. Anyone have pics of different C10s, panels, or burbs painted a lime green/gold color?
Old 05-16-2014, 04:06 PM   #16
MikeS.

Using Google this is all I found.

Old 05-16-2014, 04:17 PM   #17
MikeS.

Also see BurbGirl73s ride a few post down.

Old 05-19-2014, 02:23 PM   #18
CaliberNick

How long does it take Brothers Trucks to usually fulfill an order? I ordered 2 mirrors about 3 weeks ago and I still have yet to receive them... worse yet when I sign in to look at the status, they don't even show as shipped. They are just stuck in the "Web Order Received" stage.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:49 PM   #19
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Have you tried calling them or sending an email? I would have about 2 weeks ago.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:52 AM   #20
CaliberNick

Quote:
Have you tried calling them or sending an email? I would have about 2 weeks ago.
Of course. No response to emails yet. Call didn't go anywhere helpful.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:13 AM   #21
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I can't believe some of the lack of customer service I hear about anymore. If you're going to be in the retail business, you need to take care of the customer right away, not just when you get around to it.

Have they received the payment from your credit card, or how ever you made the payment? If so, do you have any recourse thru them to reverse the payment transaction?
Old 05-21-2014, 03:10 PM   #22
CaliberNick

Quote:
I can't believe some of the lack of customer service I hear about anymore. If you're going to be in the retail business, you need to take care of the customer right away, not just when you get around to it.

Have they received the payment from your credit card, or how ever you made the payment? If so, do you have any recourse thru them to reverse the payment transaction?
Well I finally heard back from them after saying I would prefer a refund if they are not in stock... magically they got the shipment of mirrors in the day I last emailed them and told me I would get email notification of shipment being sent later that night (this being last night around 4 my time)... I just got the email confirmation 5 mins ago (3 my time)... Not happy with the service there. This was my first interaction with them, I will now be shopping at other places before I take my business back to them.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:26 AM   #23
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I'm glad to hear that you finally got a response and some results. A little communication goes a long way towards keeping a customer happy.

If I have a delay in shipping a customers order, I let them know right away, and do my best to keep them updated on the status.