The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-29-2014, 11:48 PM   #1
jimbosprint

Street engine performance upgrades

Looking for advice on engine performance upgrades. I have a completely stock '72 350 motor, and I would like to upgrade the parts that were limited by emissions standards of the time. I'm not building a race car, so I'd also like to keep it relatively street-friendly.

I'm considering a Summit combo kit - http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-bbc100

Also considering an HEI distributor and headers.

I mostly don't want to end up with mis-matched engine components that don't work well together for what I want. There's a million aftermarket performance parts to choose from for a SBC, and it's too easy to make poor buying decisions.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

jimbosprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 12:18 AM   #2
DBD

Re: Street engine performance upgrades

I think you're headed in the right direction. headers, q-jet overhaul (or holly swap), mild cam upgrade, intake and HEI and you're in a pretty good place. replace the snorkel cleaner with a corvette open-element cleaner. get it tuned right either by yourself or on a chassis dyno.

the next step beyond that would be heads...if you want to go that far.

the combo stuff in that package wouldn't be my choice - you may spend a little more money but you can make better choices for each of those pieces...
DBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 12:25 AM   #3
jimbosprint

Here's what I've discovered so far about the condition of the motor: It burns and leaks oil (smokes out exhaust) but seems to respond to throttle and run strong. I still need to do a compression check on it. Oil looks fairly clean, not sure when it was changed last. A friend told me the oil burning might be valve seals from the truck sitting for a long while. There's a lot of grease around the engine compartment to clean up, so I might as well fix any leaks while I'm going through it. And there is a noisy lifter on the passenger side.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:27 AM   #4
jimbosprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBD View Post
I think you're headed in the right direction. headers, q-jet overhaul (or holly swap), mild cam upgrade, intake and HEI and you're in a pretty good place. replace the snorkel cleaner with a corvette open-element cleaner. get it tuned right either by yourself or on a chassis dyno.

the next step beyond that would be heads...if you want to go that far.

the combo stuff in that package wouldn't be my choice - you may spend a little more money but you can make better choices for each of those pieces...
What parts would you recommend?
Old 07-30-2014, 09:16 AM   #5
Hugh Mongus

I bought a stock GM Performance crate 350. Then I installed vortec heads, a Lunati 60102 cam, Eddy EPS vortec intake, and an Accel HEI distributor. It runs great. It starts easy, runs on pump gas, and has plenty of power for me.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:34 AM   #6
jimbosprint

Still overwhelmed with the choices in cams/intakes/carbs. Any other suggestions out there?
Old 07-30-2014, 12:20 PM   #7
DBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbosprint View Post
What parts would you recommend?
Edelbrock Performer EPS...hands-down the best dual-plane out there for a mild street engine.

Cloyes tru-roller timing chain.

CompCams Xtreme Energy 4x4 12-231-2 cam and lifter kit. SOMETIMES anything over .450 lift can be an issue for stock springs and valve covers...check carefully.

Hooker headers...I've installed a bunch of these and they fit well with decent spark plug access. there may be better, but that's what I've done.

you can reuse your rockers and pushrods...keep the rockers and balls together if you can, and double check your valvetrain geometry.

Lots of choices for carbs, but the street avengers are my first pick unless the engine is pretty warm...for a stock, mild engine the 570 or 670 (if you think you're going to do more engine work later) are good picks. easy to tune for the street.

I like the msd street fire hei - comes with a timing curve kit. good unit, pretty cheap. don't need any kind of ignition box.

gotta break in a flat-tappet carefully - lots of cam lube and the break-in oil.

one guy's take.
Old 07-30-2014, 01:29 PM   #8
jimbosprint

Here's my current parts wish list. Please let me know if any of this is not recommended.

Old 07-30-2014, 01:54 PM   #9
DBD

I think the marine cams are like the 4x4 where they have ground-in advance to move the torque peak down. it's a reasonable pick; the XE cams make more power.

new or reman q-jets are a waste of money IMHO. if you're going to replace the carb, get a holley so it can be easily tuned.

dunno about the Summit hei...it's fine I'm sure, I just like the tenability of the street fire.

Last edited by DBD; 07-30-2014 at 02:09 PM.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:13 PM   #10
jimbosprint

I had the same exact cam, intake, and distributor on my 72 Nova with a Edelbrock Performer 600 carb (10 year daily driver). I liked the idle sound and mid-high end power, but the low end response wasn't that great. I have to admit I don't know much about tuning carburetors. Never had a problem with the Summit HEI, what's the advantage of tuning that?
Old 07-30-2014, 04:00 PM   #11
tjsblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbosprint View Post
Here's my current parts wish list. Please let me know if any of this is not recommended.
Will that carb match that intake ? That is a spread bore carb and the intake says square bore unless it is dual drilled I'm no expert but I would confirm that.

Edit: I just looked at the intake on Edelbrock website. That intake does not have both sets of carb mount patterns. Pretty sure you're going to need to change either the carb or intake choice.

'72 Blazer K5

"Camshaft opinions are like belly buttons; everyone has one and no two are alike"

My Blazer Build:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=626752

My Engine Build:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=637336

Last edited by tjsblazer; 07-30-2014 at 10:22 PM.
tjsblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:18 PM   #12
donut

I was wondering about that also. (carb/intake)

IMO, maybe the HEI upgrade.
Beyond that, elbow grease and tuning.
I notice your in California, emissions standards of the time? Really don't know.
You stated it smoked and leaked oil. Track down all that first, maybe do your compression test and/or leakdown test.

How many miles? '72 motor isn't exactly "fresh", no point in stuffing a bunch go-fast parts into something that may be gasping it's last.

I'm kinda like duct tape- no real purpose, but handy to have around.
donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 10:09 PM   #13
chris mc bride

go with edelbrock performer kit.Carb,intake and cam. Get heads redone and have at least 3 angle valve job if not 5 angle.Some mild pocket porting just clean up are in bowl and any obstruction.You would be surpised what a little clean up a multi angle valve job will do power wise. Add a set of headers with good dual exhaust. New ignition HEI are great for price. You can build a good dependable 375 hp small block easy and resonably cheap. if want more go with performar rpm and air gap intake. I have run these inn few of my cars and cpl for folks I build motor for.
Old 08-01-2014, 02:03 AM   #14
Gumby

drive way install shift kit and a high stall TC will make a night & day difference. Not a few Hp here n there that you can feel but slowly get use to, a total change that rewards you often with smiles.
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 10:01 AM   #15
burnin oil

A couple of things.
1. I buy alot of Summit and Jegs house brand parts. Some are great and others are junk. Don't skimp on a timing set. Cheapos, and summit racing house brand, fall into this catagory. They are notorious for being inaccurate.
2. Marine stuff needs to stay off of a car motor. It is usually designed to run at a steady RPM and tend to have less than steller response off idle. Boats have no problem with this because of the props. Different ball game.
3. I would not buy a summit or skip white distributer. Some have good luck with them but most recieve cheap chineese junk. I would throw a used junkyard distributer in first. For only a few more dollars you can have a good MSD box and dizzy. They run sales on them pretty often.
burnin oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:59 PM   #16
AcampoDave

Ouch, those headers are costly, I know the cheapies are worthless but wow, I think I'd just stay with manifolds and run dual pipes with nice mufflers. Especcialy on a (ahem) "seasoned" motor like yours. But that's just me, I run ramhorns myself and really like their looks, convenience, and leak free performance.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote