The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-19-2019, 01:04 PM   #1
Mav

Electrical problem

Am out of ideas, hope somebody has a good one. My 70 K10 has a new battery but when it sits overnight am down to 11.5 volts and wont turn the starter. I put charger on for 1/2 hour and its 12.5 , starts fine. Thought I had bad battery off the shelf so put in 2nd new one, same problem. Alternator is putting out 13.5 volts, (had shop verify, and they said might be regulator so put new regulator and condenser on, didnt fix. Battery gauge hadnt moved in years, stumbled on info about the 4amp fuses in front corners of engine compartment and replaced them. Only draw on battery is clock in radio and its .2 millivolts. Battery gauge now moves toward discharge when starter is engaged. Have disconnect on neg. batt. post but batt. drops overnight whether its on or off. What havent I done? Thanks, Mav
Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 01:15 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Electrical problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav View Post
Am out of ideas, hope somebody has a good one. My 70 K10 has a new battery but when it sits overnight am down to 11.5 volts and wont turn the starter. I put charger on for 1/2 hour and its 12.5 , starts fine. Thought I had bad battery off the shelf so put in 2nd new one, same problem. Alternator is putting out 13.5 volts, (had shop verify, and they said might be regulator so put new regulator and condenser on, didnt fix. Battery gauge hadnt moved in years, stumbled on info about the 4amp fuses in front corners of engine compartment and replaced them. Only draw on battery is clock in radio and its .2 millivolts. Battery gauge now moves toward discharge when starter is engaged. Have disconnect on neg. batt. post but batt. drops overnight whether its on or off. What havent I done? Thanks, Mav

Have you tried removing the NEG cable overnight and see what it does? All disconnects are not created equal. If it drops with the NEG cable completely disconnected I would think it would have to be an internal problem in the battery. There could not be any external electricity flowing with the cable removed.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 01:50 PM   #3
Mav

Havent tried that yet, disconnect seems to be ok, but will do it and see what happens. Two bad batteries in a row? Is anybody that unlucky? LOL! Thanks Lockdoc, will post result tomorrow.
Old 10-20-2019, 11:59 AM   #4
Mav

Battery is down again, I bought the last 2 batteries a year apart and they were different types. 1st one was AGM, this one is regular lead/acid. Think I will charge this one up and unhook both pos. and neg. cables overnight because I know the place I bought it will be a little skeptical at first. Thanks for the help Lockdoc.
Old 10-27-2019, 07:56 PM   #5
Mav

There is a ground screw 3 in. above regulator, I checked to make sure it was tight, the guy who fixed my problem broke it loose 1/2 turn then tightened it back up. Live and learn.
Old 10-27-2019, 10:13 PM   #6
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: Electrical problem

Is there any wires going past the disconnect to the battery? To check the disconnect put red lead of voltmeter on the + battery terminal side and black lead on cable side of disconnect. Watch meter and turn it off make sure it disconnects. If that checks out then it has to be the battery itself. Take the battery to another parts store first and have them check it out before you take it back.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 11:03 AM   #7
Mav

Sorry, I reread my post and it was very , unclear? What I was trying to say was the problem is fixed, it was just a bad connection to the ground screw. If I had loosened it 1/2 a turn then re-tightened it I would have discovered the problem. Thanks for the reply, and yes, I had already done the test you described.
Old 10-28-2019, 11:10 PM   #8
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: Electrical problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav View Post
Sorry, I reread my post and it was very , unclear? What I was trying to say was the problem is fixed, it was just a bad connection to the ground screw. If I had loosened it 1/2 a turn then re-tightened it I would have discovered the problem. Thanks for the reply, and yes, I had already done the test you described.
Good deal!

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote