The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-09-2015, 08:37 PM   #1176
Dan in Pasadena

Re: Danny Boy is BAACK! w/ '55 Big Window

December 09, 2015. Front fender rust (Very minor) repaired and hung, guide coat on for start of block sanding:

Driver side front door gap is waay too big. Metal will be added to match door gap above:

Passenger side front door gap for comparison is nice and tight. A little hard to see in this shot. F anything it might be too tight!:

Gratuitous additional side shot I laughed at. I work for Metro and I'm always in my company truck on the way home when I check the '55. He put the Metro "M" on it as a joke.
Next up is dropping off the hood and upper & lower valances above and below hood with sandblaster. Valances will be sandblasted and powder coated a color near the final paint as primer. The hood brace will PROBABLY be sent out for chroming, because...well...I like chrome!

I also told him to weld shut the ashtray and HVAC control panel openings. I've seen it done on one truck and it de-clutters the dash a lot without being as drastic as a totally shaved dash...which I like but think I might regret later.

Here's an example of a dash with the HVAC panel shaved. The ash tray is still there, mine will be shaved. The ignition is shaved but mine won't be because I have an ididit column without a key. Feel free to comment:

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 12-09-2015 at 08:56 PM.
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 09:33 PM   #1177
Kim57

Looks like they're making good progress.
That dash looks real nice.
Kim
Old 12-09-2015, 09:35 PM   #1178
Dan in Pasadena

Thanks Kim. I can't remember if your dash is mostly stock or modified? If I had a lot more money is put a Belair dash in it but it'd add a ton.

That dash picture makes me reconsider dark red over my original idea of Porsche Guards Red, which is +/- half way between red and orange.

Old 01-03-2016, 09:16 PM   #1179
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

Any updates Dan? Hope you had a Merry Christmas!
ChuckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 10:05 PM   #1180
Dan in Pasadena

Hi JJ!
We had a very nice Christmas and a good New Years Eve sitting out on the Rose Parade route (1 block from my house) with family members that decided to camp out, then came out again in the morning to watch the parade. Thanks for asking. How was yours?

Only progress is the hood and the metal cross pieces above & below the grill were sandblasted and delivered to the body shop for fitting. The upper/lower grill sheet metal was powder coated in color to act as primer. I took the hood cross brace off because i plan to have it chromed.

I don't know what other things I'll chrome? It used to be the inside windshield lower trim and the door interior trim over the Windows was kinda standard to chrome but I kinda think that's ver doing it. Suggestions are welcomed.

What's happening wth your truck? I haven't checked your thread recently but it seems you were in a holding pattern for awhile. Any progress?

Old 01-04-2016, 07:54 PM   #1181
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

We had a good Christmas too, thanks!

I've always wanted to chrome those three items also.

I managed to get a carpet installed that I've had for nearly 10 years and got a Altman Latch Kit too!

Also, got a little welding done to the large C-notch after cutting it down a bit.

More progress soon!
Old 01-09-2016, 04:20 PM   #1182
Dan in Pasadena

Stopped by the shop yesterday to check on the progress of my truck. Not too much to mention but I want to post a couple pictures I took as part of my "permanent record" of the progress on the truck.
I forgot to take a shot of the interior but the dash is complete and gray primed. The bodyman wasn't there but I spoke to his son who was block sanding my two front fenders separately. I'm going to set progress back a little but I'm going to have him shave the ash tray and the heater panel. I debated shaving the entire dash or even replacing the entire thing with a '55 Belair dash, but it's likely too expensive and though I'd love to have it, I'm gonna pass.

Old 01-10-2016, 11:05 AM   #1183
Kim57

Cab looks good.
I agree on the 55 car dashes looking real sweet in these trucks.
Kim
Old 01-10-2016, 01:13 PM   #1184
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim57 View Post
Cab looks good.
I agree on the 55 car dashes looking real sweet in these trucks.
Kim
Thanks.
Yeah the car dashes look great but really? They should have put them or in the trucks to move the glove box to the middle where closer to the driver. Trucks usually only had a single passenger in those days. Maybe the car dash but only one humped?

I notice tpimuncie added a second hump to his dash - maybe cut out of a car dash? But the shape doesn't match the factory cluster shape.

Yeah, they look GREAT, to me anyway. While searching for those I even found one in an AD truck. I think it's a bit crowded. I'd like to see an AD truck with a car dash from that era, would be interesting.

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 01-10-2016 at 01:32 PM.
Old 01-10-2016, 06:15 PM   #1185
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

How about the 59-60's?!!!
Old 01-10-2016, 06:34 PM   #1186
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckDriver View Post
How about the 59-60's?!!!
Ha ha, yes I like em too.

For me, part of the reason I want a car dash is that my dad gave me his black, purchased-new '55 Belair two door hardtop when I was 16 and I was so STOOPID that I didn't really want it! I gave it back to him when I got a '66 Chevy van. Yeah, vans were the hot thing when I was in high school, geez.

I could kick myself for not keeping that car forever. This was 1972 and he ended up selling it via the "Pennysaver" for $450. Gotta remember it was just a 17 year old car then. Same as a 1999 Chevy would be today.

Old 02-10-2016, 11:57 PM   #1187
Dan in Pasadena

Wednesday, February 10, 2016:

Painter was waiting to see if I was going to modify dash. Ultimately decided no so interior will now be primered red too. He's requested I bring blasted and powder coated rear fenders next, then bed sides in pieces also blasted & powder coated after. I'm now trying to decide if I'll lose the tailgate chains and latches and go with a Mar-K repop gate. So far everything else is remaining stock so I don't know. I LIKE the originality of chains but don't want chipped new paint of course. Plus my original tailgate is nearly perfect...why spend $400? We'll see.

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 02-11-2016 at 12:05 AM.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:54 AM   #1188
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

That's looking real nice Dan!

Are you still planning on using the Altman Latches, if so you may want to do the cuts in the doors so they can be primed as well.

Can't wait to see it in color!!
Old 02-11-2016, 09:25 AM   #1189
Kim57

Looks real nice.
Kim
Old 02-11-2016, 01:28 PM   #1190
Dan in Pasadena

Thanks guys and yes JJ, I already bought the Altman latches. Thanks for the reminder. I haven't gone back and looks at the instructions in awhile, off hand I can't recall if the cuts are made to the door or the door panel? I guess I was thinking in the door panels and that's why I wasn't thinking its a hot priority to do it now. I'd better check.

As an FYI and reminder to myself later when this thread is a diary of the build: I am considering a color change from the red I'd always planned to orange. Either Chevy Hugger orange or the 2012 Jeep Wrangler "Crush" Clearcoat.

The reason? It was a strong suggestion from my oldest brother in law. He's been in our family since he was 18 and is now 70. He's much more like a brother than a brother-in-law to me. I was 8 or 9 when he met my oldest sister (I'm 61 now!). He was the best man at my wedding and has been diagnosed with an inoperable aortic aneurysm. The family knows the aneurysm could go/he would go, at any time. So is considering it as a surprise he may or may not live to see but it would be a tribute. I love orange, I just wondered if I'd get sick of it long term. Opinions are welcome. Thanks again guys!

PS: I'm trying to hurry up a bit now and am considering having someone do my IFS install and reared flip, plumb my fuel and brake lines, etc. The plan was do do this myself as retirement is fast approaching. Now I feeling a little urgency to get the truck driveable while my brother-in-law could still see it/drive it. Kim, do you know a reputable SoCal shop or guy that would charge and arm & leg?

Old 02-11-2016, 01:33 PM   #1191
Low Elco

Is Kab still doing them?
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 01:40 PM   #1192
ptc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
Thanks guys and yes JJ, I already bought the Altman latches. Thanks for the reminder. I haven't gone back and looks at the instructions in awhile, off hand I can't recall if the cuts are made to the door or the door panel? I guess I was thinking in the door panels and that's why I wasn't thinking its a hot priority to do it now. I'd better check.

As an FYI and reminder to myself later when this thread is a diary of the build: I am considering a color change from the red I'd always planned to orange. Either Chevy Hugger orange or the 2012 Jeep Wrangler "Crush" Clearcoat.

The reason? It was a strong suggestion from my oldest brother in law. He's been in our family since he was 18 and is now 70. He's much more like a brother than a brother-in-law to me. I was 8 or 9 when he met my oldest sister (I'm 61 now!). He was the best man at my wedding and has been diagnosed with an inoperable aortic aneurysm. The family knows the aneurysm could go/he would go, at any time. So is considering it as a surprise he may or may not live to see but it would be a tribute. I love orange, I just wondered if I'd get sick of it long term. Opinions are welcome. Thanks again guys!

PS: I'm trying to hurry up a bit now and am considering having someone do my IFS install and reared flip, plumb my fuel and brake lines, etc. The plan was do do this myself as retirement is fast approaching. Now I feeling a little urgency to get the truck driveable while my brother-in-law could still see it/drive it. Kim, do you know a reputable SoCal shop or guy that would charge and arm & leg?
Ill charge you 2 arms and 3 legs if you like!!! kidding - I think you meant NOT charge you.... yes?

Sorry to hear about your 'brother' - its hard when that kind of news comes forward. IMO - The Hugger Orange is true and blue Chevrolet.... just add some flake and some pearl to it and I think you'll never grow tired of it in the sunshine or moonlight.

Hurry but dont cut corners at this stage...!!! it will all be good - prayers with you all !
Old 02-11-2016, 02:11 PM   #1193
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Is Kab still doing them?
Last I "talked" with him, no. He was struggling to maintain progress on his own projects. I won't bother him again with this unless something comes up on the forum indicating he's doing better.

Excellent suggestion though. He was/would be preference No. 1.

Old 02-11-2016, 02:17 PM   #1194
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptc View Post
Ill charge you 2 arms and 3 legs if you like!!! kidding - I think you meant NOT charge you.... yes?

Sorry to hear about your 'brother' - its hard when that kind of news comes forward. IMO - The Hugger Orange is true and blue Chevrolet.... just add some flake and some pearl to it and I think you'll never grow tired of it in the sunshine or moonlight.

Hurry but dont cut corners at this stage...!!! it will all be good - prayers with you all !
Thanks so much for the kind words! Yes, my brother is on my mind a lot these days. The hard part is knowing vthere's nothing to be done but wait, ugh.

You're a little far in Sacramento, and I'd prefer a person/shop local to me so I could drop in to monitor progress BUT.... I have family in Auburn and I own a big ass dually that could certainly haul my frame, etc up there! If you have any serious interest in this drop me a PM. It probably would be logistically difficult but what that's worth doing right ISNT difficult, right?

Old 02-11-2016, 02:47 PM   #1195
Task Force Era

She's looking damn good Dan!! Hell I'm diggin the red primer! Ha
Task Force Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 07:01 PM   #1196
Flysocal

My chopper is orange with flames and I love it. Can't go wrong with orange if done right. Can't wait to see your truck at the local in n out. Go to the one off Harvey in Glendale I'm right around the corner!
Flysocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 06:43 PM   #1197
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Task Force Era View Post
She's looking damn good Dan!! Hell I'm diggin the red primer! Ha
Thanks, glad you like it...I don't! Ha ha.

When I bought the truck it looked BAAD and I needed to primer it just to make it presentable. It was going to be a rattle can job and my choices were light or dark gray and red oxide. I didn't want any of them and found the light green I ended up using. It didn't hold up so I switched to Rustoleum satin which is how it remained until this full strip and repaint effort.

Old 02-12-2016, 06:46 PM   #1198
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flysocal View Post
My chopper is orange with flames and I love it. Can't go wrong with orange if done right. Can't wait to see your truck at the local in n out. Go to the one off Harvey in Glendale I'm right around the corner!
How about some pictures of your chopper?

Man, I keep going back and forth on red vs. orange. I'll probably make a seat of the pants decision the day the painter says, "Here's the color books, pick!"

Old 02-13-2016, 11:31 AM   #1199
Rude Dude

Looking good Dan go with Red but if you do orange go with Factory Omaha Orange
Rude Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 11:47 AM   #1200
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rude Dude View Post
Looking good Dan go with Red but if you do orange go with Factory Omaha Orange
Hi Rudy! How goes things in the "other Glendale"? Still making progress on your own project?