The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-29-2009, 04:07 PM   #1
70rs/ss

Ideas on converting my 2wd Burb to a 4X??

I bought a nice 71 Burb and want to make it a 4X. At first I was just going to buy a 4X burb frame/chasis, but now I am leaning towards converting. I have a complete set of 3/4 ton 4X axles (dana 44 8-lug and a 14BFF rear) and a Dana 60 rear w/3.54's and a posi! I need to decide on the rear to use, I know the 14bff is a stronger rear and the ratio matches the front (I think haven't verified that 100%), so the 14bff and the dana 44 are what I "should use" although the 3.54's and posi really have me leaning towards the dana 60 and possibly swapping the gears in the 44 to the 60's ratio?! Any help on this part is welcomed!!

As for the rear suspension, I am sticking w/the coil spring rear (didn't say that before, but the burb is a coil sprung rear!), just going to put the trailing arms on top of the axle vs under it and will get about 2" of lift there and a new set of springs from Eaton Detroit Spring, with maybe another inch made into them (not looking for a monster truck, just 3-4 inches total so we can still get in and out of it without a ladder!!

For the front I will use DIY4X hangers and go w/leaf in the front for now (I want coils up front styled after the 07 dodge I have now, but in the interest of time and $$$, leaves will do for now!!)

I found a guy that sells 700r4's for $900 w/12 month warranty!! So a 700r4 w/208 or a 205 transfer case, and the axles as I mentioned above. How does that sound!?

Once I am driving it for a while and get some of my other projects done then i'll tackle the coil sprung front, ala Suburban Gorrilla from Extreme 4X4, with the Dodge truck set-up. I am looking to get a 32, maybe 35" tire on it and be capable of DD and wheeling when the white stuff flies!!

Last edited by 70rs/ss; 07-29-2009 at 04:17 PM.
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote