The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-23-2015, 10:25 AM   #1
frenchy51

Deluxe windshield install problem

I ordered a complete DLX weatherstrip kit for my '71 Cheyenne from Brothers. Just tried to have my local glass shop try and replace windshield using the kit. They said the Dlx windshield trim with the channel for the chrome molding was defective and they suggested returning it and to use the standard rubber and forget using the trim.
I like the looks of the trim and would like to retain it-Have any of you had the similar problem with replacing the trim? Is my glass shop just being lazy?
frenchy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 10:39 AM   #2
SFBay69

Re: Deluxe windshield install problem

Had a very similar issue with the trim
Kit from LMC. Apparently there is a shallow and deep channel rubber available. I'm still confused as to which one I received from LMC. I ended up ordering a deep channel rubber from the installer then tracked down OEM trim. Snapped right in. It was a struggle for weeks because the trim was just too big for the channel. The glass guy was perplexed. If I recall correctly, the 69-72 window rubber is deeper to allow for deeper trim tabs. It may be the other way around. Just make sure to use the correct channel/tab.
SFBay69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 10:41 AM   #3
GMCGrim

It almost sounds like they are being lazy. I just had my windshield installed three weeks ago and it was no problem for those guys. I supplied the gasket and the trim and in one hour they were done.

I should also mention this was glass shop that works on classic
cars and trucks.So they are not scared of the windshields with stainless trim.
GMCGrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 11:58 AM   #4
hugger6933

I think the older trim is what you want but going off memory and that is a bad thing.Find you an older glass installer that is hard to do though as a lot get burned out and lots more have shoulder problem from cutting out windows and putting them in by themselves. I still don't feel comfortable trying that alone. The glass guy I use put them in by himself all the time. He says he loves coming to my place cause I have the old one out and the surface ready for glue.
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 02:43 PM   #5
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Trash the junk aftermarket trim and get an OEM set to polish up and install, it's easy then. Read more here: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=484773

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 03:36 PM   #6
leftybass209

Well, you've uncovered a huge headache many people have.

New glass shop techs don't know how to install glass that isn't flush fit and glued in place.

This isn't a job even experienced glass techs like to handle, and some won't even attempt the installation for whatever reason.

You need OEM trim, and a Precision brand weather strip for the best shot, or alternatively, you need a badass glass installer. The latter is much harder to come by but they do exist.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 07:49 PM   #7
frenchy51

I plan on reusing my OEM trim. I just need to find someone who can remove it without ruining it-put in the new windshield-then reinstall the original trim...Anyone know who supplies the best rubber molding to do this? And I live near Chico, Ca. in Northern Ca. Any good installers around here? Thanks again
Old 10-23-2015, 11:28 PM   #8
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchy51 View Post
I plan on reusing my OEM trim. I just need to find someone who can remove it without ruining it-put in the new windshield-then reinstall the original trim...Anyone know who supplies the best rubber molding to do this? And I live near Chico, Ca. in Northern Ca. Any good installers around here? Thanks again

The trim comes out with the windshield. If you try and take it out first you will destroy it.... trim also installs in the rubber gasket before the windshield is installed otherwise you won't get it in.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 07:34 AM   #9
frenchy51

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
The trim comes out with the windshield. If you try and take it out first you will destroy it.... trim also installs in the rubber gasket before the windshield is installed otherwise you won't get it in.

LockDoc
Thanks for the headsup. I just ordered a new rubber from "Precision". Also watched their install video-Good Stuff- Think I may try and do it myself (and son)....Stay tuned.
Old 10-24-2015, 09:01 AM   #10
hooverfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchy51 View Post
Thanks for the headsup. I just ordered a new rubber from "Precision". Also watched their install video-Good Stuff- Think I may try and do it myself (and son)....Stay tuned.
I predict that a month from now, you and your son will have a good chuckle over how good your installation looks ..... and the 'pros' couldn't get it done.

"It's a sorry man who can't find his wife a good job"
hooverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 07:45 PM   #11
WIDESIDE72

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftybass209 View Post
well, you've uncovered a huge headache many people have.

New glass shop techs don't know how to install glass that isn't flush fit and glued in place.

This isn't a job even experienced glass techs like to handle, and some won't even attempt the installation for whatever reason.

You need oem trim, and a precision brand weather strip for the best shot, or alternatively, you need a badass glass installer. The latter is much harder to come by but they do exist.
x2
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote