The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-26-2011, 08:06 PM   #751
Painter D

Re: Project: Recycle

What specific tweaks are you getting done on the 454?

Any chance you're upgrading to a hydraulic roller cam instead of going back with a flat tappet?

'63 Buick Riviera ... AccuAir E-level, 20" Billet Specialties (Vintecs)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=528853&page=5
Painter D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 01:29 AM   #752
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69chevyshort View Post
What specific tweaks are you getting done on the 454?

Any chance you're upgrading to a hydraulic roller cam instead of going back with a flat tappet?
No hyd roller. I wanted to & did check into a 'retro-fit' kit. Unfortunately, a kit was almost as much as the motor itself (cam, roller lifters, springs, & related hardware). I just couldn't justify almost doubling the cost of the motor w/o more return.

I opted for an RV/towing cam vs. a stock replacement ($100 extra) & went w/flat-top pistons vs. dished (same cost as the dished pistons). Not much difference but should still help.

I also ordered an Edel TBI intake; I'm putting on some 3/4 length, 1.75" primaries headers & a 3" to 2.5" exhaust.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:28 PM   #753
SCOTI

I still managed to get a little bit done despite my dead dually....

I got the driver side exhaust pipe all welded up vs. just being tacked together. From the manifold collector flange to the T/A x-member is done & it looks sweet! The pass side was also done but there were some issues.

When I went to bolt the pass side pipe to the manifold flange, there was a big gap @ the flange from side to side. I pulled it back apart & noticed the flange on the exhaust pipe side had indeed warped a little. That combined w/the tacked pipe pieces now all welded solid caused the pipe to be 'off' slightly. I wound up having to cut the pipe back apart after the primary discharge bends just after the collector (I basically had to cut the long straight section of the pipe from the section that drops from the manifold). I was then able to get the flange into the press & straighten it out. After the press & a quick few passes on the benchtop sanding wheel, it's nice & flat. I got it bolted in & had to make a minor adjustment to the rest of the pipe that was cut off. It's now ready to be welded back up again.

After doing that, I was able to get my dimensions & get the cross-over pipe fabbed up & ready to go into place. I'll have to wait for the pass side to be final welded to ensure the dimensions are 100% good to go & then I can cut the cross-over into place. Here's a couple of shots of the prepped cross-over ready to go....
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 07-01-2011, 10:04 PM   #754
watahyahknow

hmmm oh whell , in the netherlands it would be a good place to replace the middlepipe with electric cutouts to make the truck bark a bit harder in the tunnels ( and make the smaller car-drivers shiver behind the wheel when you come roaring past)

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts
watahyahknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 01:02 AM   #755
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

Did you glue that cross over pipe together or what man it looks beautiful... How the hell did you get it so seamless???????????

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 01:07 AM   #756
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRENCHBLUE72 View Post
Did you glue that cross over pipe together or what man it looks beautiful... How the hell did you get it so seamless???????????
They are pre-fabbed, seamless, food grade, stainless 'T' sections of pipe. I just dig through demo'd pipe from our facility, cut off the stuff I can use, trim it & clean it up for re-use in a 'slightly different' manner . I'm using stainless v-band clamps to connect the 'T' unions to the cross-over pipe.

You can see a couple of them in this pic of some of the material I've scavenged....
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 07-02-2011, 09:49 AM   #757
kev2809
low n' slo

lol! thats cool..i wish i worked at a place that could benefit my truck!

looks like its coming together nice!

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__
,.,,,.,.,,.,|_O _______ O_]
kev2809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 06:37 PM   #758
Painter D

It's been a few weeks , any new updates?

Old 07-24-2011, 08:44 PM   #759
SCOTI

No updates. I haven't even been in the same building as the chassis since those last pics.

I've been working a bunch of messed up hours the last couple of weeks. Add in the family stuff (birthdays), college orientation for the young-gun, the dually 'project' & the extreme heat of mid-day & progress is slow.

I've been trying to get the dually back together. The front suspension rebuild is about done. I still need to get the brakes swapped, get the sway bar reconnected (waiting on poly bushings) & install the shocks (waiting on shocks). The plan was to swap in an OD upon reinstalling the drivetrain but the trans guys jammed me up by selling the last TCU they ordered in (they told me there would be 1 extra). I called Thursday am hoping all the swap parts would be there only to learn I had to wait another week. I'm @ the point of sticking the th400 back in & doing the 4l80e @ another time. I had already initiated the front end rebuild so I hustled to get that done by today (except for parts on order).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 08-16-2011, 07:13 PM   #760
Painter D

It's been 23 days since your last post ,what's the status on all of your projects?

Old 08-16-2011, 09:13 PM   #761
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69chevyshort View Post
It's been 23 days since your last post ,what's the status on all of your projects?
Still pluggin' away on the dually when I can. We've been involved in a big equipment change @ work so time has been limited. Add to that a major audit that starts tomorrow & I've been a busy guy. This audit is an annual thing @ our plant but this is the 1st time they'll tour & inspect my 'top secret' area. With all the changes & construction, it's a nightmare situation for a food quality audit (especially a 1st time audit).

Anyhoo, latest things accomplished are:

I got the OE front sway bar 'stands' removed so the bar can now be bolted directly to the frame once the drivetrain is back in place.

The last item for the brakes is done (I painted the calipers last weekend). I haven't put the rotors back on yet though 'cause I was waiting for paint to dry but they're detailed (painted), turned, & ready.

Shocks are in & waiting to be installed.
Th400 cleaned up & ready to be attached to the motor.
Trans cross-member has been modded & welded. I still want to add some gussets but that's just a couple of short welds.
I've been chasing oil pan related issues but resolved that yesterday. Now I can install the oil pump, set the pick-up height, & get it tacked together so the pan installation can be completed (couldn't use the OE pan anymore because of other changes).

I did some underhood detail painting. Tried the factory color on the inside portion of the front fenders but it didn't match very well @ all. It was 're-done' the next day in satin black. Still need to do the inner wheel housings.

I messed around w/the brake booster yesterday & got the parts needed for some changes there.

Got some different (better) rear suspension stuff but I'm waiting to get the drivetrain in before starting the lowering process there.
It will definitely be a 'different' truck when said & done. Then, it's back on the 64....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 08-16-2011, 11:27 PM   #762
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Looking forward to the new stance.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:54 PM   #763
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post
Looking forward to the new stance.
Should be close to 5/7 like the 74 was but a better 'driver' because of the changes implemented.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 08-17-2011, 05:06 AM   #764
Slammed66
Needs a Big Block

Do I smell a sectioned crossmember???
Posted via Mobile Device
1972 K10
Slammed66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:34 PM   #765
Painter D

Well that's progress ,and progress is a good thing.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:55 PM   #766
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slammed66 View Post
Do I smell a sectioned crossmember???
Yes sir.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 08-17-2011, 09:38 PM   #767
flips72

hope you get the dually done soon, sure do miss the 64
flips72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:02 PM   #768
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by flips72 View Post
hope you get the dually done soon, sure do miss the 64
It's like another open can of worms. I definitely didn't want another project @ this point in time....

My problem (for lack of a better description) is I don't like going through the trouble of doing things & not correcting 'detail' related items. Dirty frame, firewall, inner fenders, wiring, hoses, etc.... Once you start cleaning & trying to make things 'presentable', it escalates quickly. I cleaned the inside portion of the front fenders only to find they looked like crap under all the dirt. So the drill commences: clean, scotch-brite or DA, prep, & paint.

Just last night while finishing up a couple of things from the fender improvements, I noticed the firewall was rough & somewhat bubbled (like when brake fluid attacks paint). I tried to just scuff it, smooth the severe edges down, & shoot it since it was just the localized area back behind the motor. It looked soooooooooo bad even w/the fresh color I just couldn't leave it 'as is'. So tonight I DA'd the offending area & it's in primer. Tomorrow it gets some color & then scotch-brite to 'age' it & keep it less noticeable.

This is my way regardless of how much time it takes. You know the saying: If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?? It will look decent when it's done though & the stance/ride will be nailed .
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 09-03-2011, 08:20 PM   #769
MRI1442

Any new updates dude? Hope work hasnt kept you too tied up and youve been able to get a lil sumthin sumthin done with the one truck, so you can continue on the other one, or that other one, or the other one, or the...yeah nevermind...LOL Sent you an email as well to update you a lil, get in touch when ya get a chance.
MRI1442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 02:00 AM   #770
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRI1442 View Post
Any new updates dude? Hope work hasnt kept you too tied up and youve been able to get a lil sumthin sumthin done with the one truck, so you can continue on the other one, or that other one, or the other one, or the...yeah nevermind...LOL Sent you an email as well to update you a lil, get in touch when ya get a chance.
Well, you finally posted something....

I've been working on the trans x-member (I had to finish building the actual mounting pad). I got my oil pump pick-up welded & the pump is ready to be bolted on. Trans is painted. Received several parts I've been waiting on (serpentine swap adapters, air cleaner). Tomorrow (today now I suppose) I'll work on assembling all the tin & try & get some color on the motor.

I also uncovered the 64 chassis & stared @ it each time I was waiting for the trans x-member to cool down between welds. I can't wait to get back on that one.... I forgot how nice the exhaust was turning out.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 09-04-2011, 07:44 PM   #771
darkhorse970

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Tough crowd. A guys gotta' sleep @ some point . . ....
Your comment about the chassis made me go back and look at the pics of it (page 21, post 506). I am really leaning toward this tire wheel size combo on the rear of my 63. Can you provide the backspace that you used? Did you have to widen the wheel tubs to fit them?

SOLD - 1963 C10 Short Fleet
350/700R4
4/6 drop

1967 GMC Super Custom - Short Fleet
COPO concept w/427 BBC
T-400 w/Doug Nash overdrive
4/6 Drop, Buddy Buckets, etc...
Frame Off (In Progress)
I call it "Vulgar Display of Power"

1980 Silverado
Original paint
49k Original miles
4/6 drop

Check out my build thread here: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post6209941
darkhorse970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 08:47 PM   #772
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse970 View Post
Your comment about the chassis made me go back and look at the pics of it (page 21, post 506). I am really leaning toward this tire wheel size combo on the rear of my 63. Can you provide the backspace that you used? Did you have to widen the wheel tubs to fit them?
Yes, mini tubs are required. There's a slim possibility they would fit @ 5"bs w/less drop. As low as mine will be, it's necessary. The wheels are 10" wide w/5.5" back-spacing.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 09-05-2011, 10:20 PM   #773
MRI1442

Quote:
Well, you finally posted something....

I've been working on the trans x-member (I had to finish building the actual mounting pad). I got my oil pump pick-up welded & the pump is ready to be bolted on. Trans is painted. Received several parts I've been waiting on (serpentine swap adapters, air cleaner). Tomorrow (today now I suppose) I'll work on assembling all the tin & try & get some color on the motor.

I also uncovered the 64 chassis & stared @ it each time I was waiting for the trans x-member to cool down between welds. I can't wait to get back on that one.... I forgot how nice the exhaust was turning out.
Hope you were able to get some stuff done...and dude that exhaust aint the only thing that looks so sharp...your automotive OCD (as I explain it to my friends up here that I've shown this to ) gives Troy T and Foose a run for their money. Its artwork man, keep it up...cant wait to see all of em done!
Old 09-05-2011, 10:30 PM   #774
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRI1442 View Post
Hope you were able to get some stuff done...and dude that exhaust aint the only thing that looks so sharp...your automotive OCD (as I explain it to my friends up here that I've shown this to ) gives Troy T and Foose a run for their money. Its artwork man, keep it up...cant wait to see all of em done!
I agree w/the OCD related issue w/the build aspect.
I disagree w/the Troy & Chip comparison..... I strive to build good, solid, well thought-out (engineered?) stuff; but know I'm nowhere near their capabilities.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 09-06-2011, 08:39 PM   #775
MRI1442

Quote:
I agree w/the OCD related issue w/the build aspect.
I disagree w/the Troy & Chip comparison..... I strive to build good, solid, well thought-out (engineered?) stuff; but know I'm nowhere near their capabilities.
LOL...automotive OCD= ACOD?!?!?

Dont sell yourself short man, they got whole crews working with (for?) them...your a determined dude in a garage...or a drive way at times! the biggest reason I make a comparison is your the only dude I've ever seen orders a part, takes it out of the box, then cuts it up/modifies it to make it work...LOL...your closer to their capabilities than you think. Anyways, cant wait to see some more of the progress (on either truck)...wont be down that way again till December probably to pick up Brett, will definatly be stopping by to see the progress first hand.