The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-16-2020, 01:33 AM   #1
Asshat

My water pump from Rock Auto

I’m bummed, it has metric threads for the fan pulley. Now my truck is not all American.
Old 09-16-2020, 11:09 AM   #2
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Re: My water pump from Rock Auto

Hmmmm. I think the water pump on my 81 and older 6s were all SAE, even the new replacement.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 11:53 AM   #3
truckster

Well, you could re-tap the threads. When you say "all American", I think you mean "all SAE". The metric system has been around in America since Thomas Jefferson introduced it in 1793.

Getting your hands on parts made in America is an entirely different story.
Old 09-16-2020, 12:49 PM   #4
Asshat

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
Well, you could re-tap the threads. When you say "all American", I think you mean "all SAE". The metric system has been around in America since Thomas Jefferson introduced it in 1793.

Getting your hands on parts made in America is an entirely different story.
Yeah, I really don’t care. Just thought I would share.
Old 09-16-2020, 01:59 PM   #5
special-K
Special Order

I figure the pump is foreign anyway. I think by GMT400s GM Trucks are all metric... or almost. It's weird to have to use metric tools on a mid-'60s truck, though. We only had European cars here in the East back then. Japanese came on the west coast sooner than here. I started off on Volkswagens, so metric tools were my first tools. My dad had Land Rovers, so he was cussing whitworth!

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 02:22 PM   #6
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asshat View Post
I’m bummed, it has metric threads for the fan pulley. Now my truck is not all American.
You can't get away from it these days. I tried to buy USA made small parts for my Cadillac. There were none. I had to buy Chinese parts because that was all there was.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 03:40 PM   #7
The Rocknrod

I bought a Stewart, don't have that problem.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 04:09 PM   #8
RustyPile

Quote:
Support your local economy. Take the old pump into your local auto parts store for comparison.. You'll get exactly what you need.. If something goes wrong, there's no shipping or waiting for approval..

The internet is the last place I shop for parts for my old truck...
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 06:56 PM   #9
special-K
Special Order

I've bought Genuine GM Parts at the local Chevy dealer that were foreign made. Not just the tailgate cables made in China for my '92. I'm talking about wheel bearings for my '71 K/20 in the '80s, made in Japan

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 10:12 PM   #10
truckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyPile View Post
Support your local economy. Take the old pump into your local auto parts store for comparison.. You'll get exactly what you need.. If something goes wrong, there's no shipping or waiting for approval..

The internet is the last place I shop for parts for my old truck...
I used to be that way. Years ago I had a NAPA shop that would get me whatever I needed. My local NAPA is a totally different story. The counter help is surly, and these are the same people who asked me if the spark plugs I ordered were for a diesel and how many holes the gasket for my 12 bolt had.
Old 09-20-2020, 12:49 PM   #11
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
I hate to admit to it but the truck I'm building has 18MM inner tie rods. Thanks a lot Moog

I had an issue with a replacement pump, it taught me two lessons. One don't paint a water pump before you fit it, cuz it wasn't meant to clear an OEM timing chain cover cleanly, and two buy Delco, IMO.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 01:41 PM   #12
truckster

I bought new AC Delco master cylinder and wheel cylinders. On the picture on the website where I bought it (also RockAuto) the MC was clearly stamped "Made in USA" on the bottom. When they arrived all three parts were made in China - and my bleeders are now 10mm.
Old 09-20-2020, 02:42 PM   #13
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
I bought new AC Delco master cylinder and wheel cylinders. On the picture on the website where I bought it (also RockAuto) the MC was clearly stamped "Made in USA" on the bottom. When they arrived all three parts were made in China - and my bleeders are now 10mm.
BLASPHAMY. First COVID now this BS, I've had it
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 04:35 PM   #14
RustyPile

Quote:
The internet is fraught with pitfalls like that..

When I rebuilt the brake system and converted to power brakes on my C/10, I removed all the parts I intended to replace -- brake hoses, wheel cylinders, shoes and related hardware, calipers, pads, drums, wheel bearings, and rotors.. I went to the locally owned parts store here in Elkhart, Tx (pop. 1300), plopped everything on the counter and gave Tony the year/make/model.. The next day they had everything I wanted.. Everything was name brand (Wagner, Dorman, etc).. Everything fit as it should and absolutely nothing was metric.. And I incurred no shipping charges..

Most everything is available out there.. You just gotta know where and how to look for it..

Last edited by RustyPile; 09-20-2020 at 04:39 PM. Reason: inserted wrong quote
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 06:01 PM   #15
truckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyPile View Post
The internet is fraught with pitfalls like that..

When I rebuilt the brake system and converted to power brakes on my C/10, I removed all the parts I intended to replace -- brake hoses, wheel cylinders, shoes and related hardware, calipers, pads, drums, wheel bearings, and rotors.. I went to the locally owned parts store here in Elkhart, Tx (pop. 1300), plopped everything on the counter and gave Tony the year/make/model.. The next day they had everything I wanted.. Everything was name brand (Wagner, Dorman, etc).. Everything fit as it should and absolutely nothing was metric.. And I incurred no shipping charges..

Most everything is available out there.. You just gotta know where and how to look for it..
I have the misfortune of living in an area where there are no parts guys. There are just a bunch of clerks who happen to sell parts. They might as well work for Walmart.