The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board > 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-15-2012, 12:19 AM   #1
The Gibster

Talking 1972 Jimmy 4x4-Hillbilly Budget Build

So I've been on a search for a first gen Blazer/Jimmy for the past six months. My standards were that it had to be under 2K, Preferably already an 8 lug, minimal rust, and have somewhat of an interior. I ended up with a 1972 Jimmy 4x4 original A/C truck. I cant tell if it was a manual originally but it has a sm465 and np205 in it right now. It has crossover steering, the rear axle is the 14 bolt and it has the D44 upfront with 8 lug axles. It has functioning 4 wheel disk brakes. The rust isn't too bad, it only needs new front pillar panels and some patches in the floor boards. Tub is Solid and the front fenders are somewhat salvageable. The top doesn't appear to be cracked but I need to find a new rear hatch and I need to clean up the holes where it bolts to the bed rails. It has 63" rear springs and 56" front springs with one leaf removed from each pack. Right now it is way to bouncy to be road worthy but I have plans on how i will deal with that situation. I have an extra 350 in my garage that is rebuild but needs a cam, gasket kit, and a carb. I was thinking either the Summit 1103 or 1101 for the cam. I haven't heard anything about the 1101 so if somebody can chime in on that. It came with Auto Meter gauges which I sold to get a stock cluster. I has seats and a roll bar out of a 73+ Blazer which are fine with me, I just need to figure out how I am going to mount them properly.

My goal for this build is to get it safe to drive with spending as little as possible, when I get to that point it will turn into a drivable project and replace and get the things I skipped over to save money. The reason I am calling it a Hillbilly budget build is because it is going to look like a pieced together lifted old truck that was built for dirt cheap.

Now to the pictures:

Old 07-15-2012, 12:31 AM   #2
The Gibster

Re: 1972 Jimmy 4x4-Hillbilly Budget Build

So far I have sanded down the frame, crossover drag links, and firewall they are all painted. I also have the brackets for the steering stabilizers powder coated. Nothing too exciting...yet
Old 07-15-2012, 02:02 PM   #3
warbucket

Looks like your off to a good start, your blazer seems too be in good shape. I'm also building a 72 on one tons for a driver. Oh and your required to post some pics of the Chevelle too:
warbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:44 PM   #4
The Gibster

I did a 5 year frame off on the Chevelle. Original misty turquoise SS ls5 with air It now sits as a Ls6 tribute with air. Powder coated frame and hotchkis suspension the whole bit.

I would have re sized the pictures...but i prefer bigger pictures
Old 07-15-2012, 09:28 PM   #5
warbucket

Very nice, I have a 69 L78, 396 block with 70 LS6 291 head and intake in mine, gotta love the pull of a big block.

warbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:02 PM   #6
The Gibster

Beautiful Car!
Old 07-19-2012, 11:21 AM   #7
in deep 72

Sounds like a fun project and looks like you got a great truck to start with. It's always nice to find one with some of the upgrades you want already done, provided they aren't hack jobs.
I'm trying to do one also. Mine is getting things fixed the right way as money will allow and trying to do everything myself. (sure woulda liked to trade guages, you had what I want). This one came with the 40" boggers, D44HD/14 bolt, and a 468BB. Doors were rusty, but not much else. Just finished up the body/paint (silver now). Did it myself so it's not perfect, but good enough for the mud.

Keep us posted on the progress. Will be interesting to see what "Hillbilly" direction you go with it.
in deep 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:10 AM   #8
The Gibster

Well it will be "Tasteful" hillbilly haha. I agree with you on the hack job part thankfully the previous owner did a good job with everything. I just want to go a different direction then he was. Eventually I want to do a frame off on it and do it right, I have always been a sucker for the 72's. Now for the update! I am trading my dirt bike for a 72 c-10 long bed. It is all complete and running. Hopefully I can make the blazer move under its own power soon!
Old 07-20-2012, 12:11 AM   #9
The Gibster

In Deep- Love the height of yours! What is your suspension set up?
Old 07-20-2012, 12:17 AM   #10
The Gibster

here is a picture of that long bed that is going to be the parts truck.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:38 AM   #11
in deep 72

8" suspension, 3" body, 40" Boggers

Have to post new pics soon. Got some back yard body and paint work in the last couple weeks. Far from perfect, but good enough for the mud.
in deep 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:57 AM   #12
The Gibster

I got some more done, nothing major. I removed the 56" springs in the front, moved the shock brackets beck to stock locations and I Added Superlift 6" lift springs. I sanded down the firewall, frame, and crossover steering components before but I finally got a picture of it all together.

After getting all that work done I realized I should replace half of the firewall because one of the PO's cut holes for a painless wiring harness, hydro clutch and some hole that was hacked out by the original shift linkage hole. I will be cutting out the firewall from the parts truck I got.

I now have most of the parts from that long bed, it feels like a sin making a Jimmy into a Blazer but it works money wise for me.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:02 AM   #13
The Gibster

Does any body have experience with 63" springs in the rear? I have searched and I havent gotten a clear answer. I plan on using the truck as a weekend rig that can go to and from the trails/desert for camping trips and such. Right now it has 63's in it and it is WAYYYYY to bouncy to be safe. I would like to leave them and maybe add a leaf or two in addition to a zero rate to relocate the axle to the center from the shackle flip.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:02 PM   #14
68 GMC step long

Do you not have a gmc grill and core support to keep it a gmc? You can use a chevy core support and put the gmc headlight mounts on it.
68 GMC step long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:36 PM   #15
The Gibster

I have the entire front clip. The problem for me is that it is all rusted out. The fenders are missing the lower mounts where they bolt to the cab and are full of bondo. I plan on going back and replacing everything to make it a jimmy, i just cant afford to do that yet.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-15-2012, 08:15 PM   #16
1972BackInBlackC10

the 72 chev fenders are the same fenders as the 72 gmc fenders, yoou can use the fenders from your parts truck and use your gmc grill, you will need to drill the holes for the trim on the front of the fenders though not a big deal
1972BackInBlackC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:47 AM   #17
68 GMC step long

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972BackInBlackC10 View Post
the 72 chev fenders are the same fenders as the 72 gmc fenders, yoou can use the fenders from your parts truck and use your gmc grill, you will need to drill the holes for the trim on the front of the fenders though not a big deal
Those blue chevy fenders that are shown above are not the same as GMC. They are recessed in the front for the grill to mold into the body. someone did it to my dads 72 jimmy and it doesnt look horrible but it is not right.
68 GMC step long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:36 AM   #18
The Gibster

so just an update. I stripped the parts truck and sold it with all of the parts I didn't need.

I have the front clip, tailgate and a "new to the truck" hatch sitting on the truck.

I am going to rebuild the top end of the engine that I pulled out of the parts truck. It looked pretty fresh. I also have an order in for some of the new Fox 2.0 Performance series shocks with reservoirs. For the engine I was thinking a Summit 1103 Cam however, I am open to suggestions. Again, I am just trying to keep it cheap and get it on the road ASAP. I have some cool custom stuff planned for the roll bar, passenger seat brackets, and rear seat bracket since I have access to a cnc. I will post pictures as soon as I get the stuff made. I am currently on the hunt for some misc brackets for the rear portion of the top...

Again sorry for the big pictures =]
Old 11-30-2012, 11:39 AM   #19
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

I might have the top brackets you need. Nice truck so far.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:30 PM   #20
The Gibster

Can someone post a picture of their key for the rear hatch? I have no idea what it looks like or if it is a special type.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:25 AM   #21
mcmlxix
Collector of Projects

Looks good. I just put some Fox 2.0 on my 72 K5 last weekend...

D60 BIG BRAKE UPGRADE Click HERE
mcmlxix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:37 AM   #22
The Gibster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmlxix View Post
Looks good. I just put some Fox 2.0 on my 72 K5 last weekend...
Post some pictures!!
Old 12-05-2012, 02:39 AM   #23
The Gibster

just got these today!

Last edited by The Gibster; 12-05-2012 at 02:51 AM.
The Gibster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:56 AM   #24
mcmlxix
Collector of Projects

Yours are prettier then mine.... I only got the rears installed. The fronts will have a custom shock tower built... The shocks have 11" of travel, yours look taller...

If you're in SLO.. you can go to Poly Performance and get all the cool parts ....

D60 BIG BRAKE UPGRADE Click HERE
mcmlxix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:05 AM   #25
The Gibster

Poly Performance has some awesome stuff! I haven't had the opportunity to work with them yet but I hear their customer service is top notch. Thanks, these are the new 2.0 performance series with 14.1" of travel. I am putting on the rear. what are your plans for the front towers? I was thinking of the ford f250 shock towers...I just would hate to put ford parts on a chevy.