The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-26-2013, 04:13 PM   #1
Armo67

Armo's 67 C30

Well, I'm getting started on my build finally, but first, a little background... I have always really like the 67-72 body style, but I grew up with square body Chevys and my first ride was a hand me down 73 from my old man, then on to an 82, etc. etc. Fast forward several years and some personal struggles later, all those are gone and I was left with a 68 c10 lwb.

While I love this truck, I have always wanted a 67 with a small back window. I finally pulled the trigger on one and bought a 67 C30 with the intentions of putting a longhorn bed on it like a couple of other forum members have done. I think I may be in the minority as I prefer a lwb to a swb, so the longer the better.

This should prove to be quite the challenge for me as I have really no mechanical background and my current profession doesn't lend too much of a hand in this.

This thread my be slow to progress at time as I don't have a shop or too many tools as of yet, but I'll get there eventually.

Since we are all crazy about pictures so here is one of my 68 to tide ya'll over. (It's her good side, passenger side is banged up from previous owners.)

Armo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:29 PM   #2
Armo67

Re: Armo's 67 C30

So, as I was still awaiting shipping on my C30 I decided to hunt down a longhorn bed.

I ran across Rusbuilt on the forum selling a fully in tact longhorn bed with no rust and minimal bumps and bruises. He was great to deal with! He worked with me on the bed and held it until I could purchase it and make the trip to Nashville.

My Dad and I made the trip and we were all able to get the bed onto the little trailer we had borrowed. Then turned around and headed back home. was a really long day, but completely worth it. met a couple of great forum members and got a bed in great condition.

Old 08-26-2013, 04:42 PM   #3
Armo67

This past Friday my C30 was finally delivered after a couple months of waiting. Called the tow service I use to send out a rollback to pull it off of the semi and set it next to the house, since there was no way the semi was going to be able to put it where I wanted it to go. That and the truck was sold to me as non operational with no brakes.

Old 08-26-2013, 04:47 PM   #4
Armo67

Here is the SPID for those interested in that:

And one of the engine bay when she arrived. It has a GM Goodwrench 350 crate engine with an Edelbrock intake and carb.

Old 08-27-2013, 03:39 PM   #5
Armo67

Cleaned up the engine bay a bit, cleaned the carb real quick. checked the oil and coolant, hooked up a battery and dumped some gas in the tank to see if she would start. She fired right up, and leaked coolant all over.

So had a buddy come out this past weekend and we pulled the water pump. Some one had crudely patched a hole in the backside of it. Another rust hole had developed next to the patch.

So ended up replacing the water pump & flushed the radiator and block while it was apart. buttoned it all back up, changed the oil and threw an air filter on it. Tried it again and she fired right up and kept her coolant in. The engine actually runs really well so I was happy about that.

She's one step closer to running & driving so I can get her somewhere and get the tow bed off.

Old 08-27-2013, 03:48 PM   #6
knomadd

That C30 looks awesome with the tow bed on it! It's too bad I don't have one I could put that on. I'd love to fix one of those up. Good luck with it.

C/10 Club Texas member
1971 Chevy C10 "Brutus" SWB Fleetside 2016 6.0L (L96) 6L90E (driver/project)
1965 Pontiac GTO "Royal Goat" 400/TH400 w/AC (my baby)
knomadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:49 PM   #7
Armo67

Next up will be making sure the brakes are in working order. The truck will be getting a full tear down, but I have to have her running and stopping to ditch the bed first.

Not sure what she has out back yet. No DRW conversion is shown on the SPID, but she does have them. With my very limited knowledge on the matter, I am guessing that it is some sort of an Eaton. I'm about that far into finding out what they are, I'll be trying to find some numbers on them in the next couple of evenings.

Old 08-27-2013, 04:05 PM   #8
Armo67

Quote:
Originally Posted by knomadd View Post
That C30 looks awesome with the tow bed on it! It's too bad I don't have one I could put that on. I'd love to fix one of those up. Good luck with it.
I agree, unfortunately I have no use for it. (The guy driving the rollback already advised that it's a 10k fine for towing without a license.) So off it'll come. I'll end up selling it or I might be able to barter with for some parts from a local guy I know. And the push bumper if definitely coming off. Someone tried to cut it off my torching around the mounts, so the only thing that is holding it on is about an inch worth of metal on the right mount. I've also already smashed my knees on it 3 times.

Here are a few more shots after a quick wipe down after her journey home.

Old 08-27-2013, 04:14 PM   #9
TOMMY70C10

Nice lookin trucks! I am just north of you in gainesville mo.
Tommy
Old 08-30-2013, 11:44 AM   #10
Armo67

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMMY70C10 View Post
Nice lookin trucks! I am just north of you in gainesville mo.
Tommy
Thanks Tommy! I make it through Gainesville a few times a year, nice place.

Not much to report on the truck. I haven't felt like crawling under it to clean off the rear axle to try and pull numbers off of it.

I've been working on some of the wiring. removed a lot of old wiring that the PO put in. most of which was disconnected at both ends. Most of the connections from the PO are just the wires twisted together. No shielding, tape, nothing. Just bare wire hanging around. Trying to straighten out the wiring because while I was replacing the water pump and everything else, the headlights have quit working. All of the other lights seem to be working though, this weekend I'll really be concentrating on the wiring to get it to an acceptable level. So I'll be redoing all the PO's connections. The ones that are actually needed that is. Hopefully I'll be able to eliminate a lot of the rats nest.

Also removed the old CB & antennas. Removed a disconnected brake of some sort that ran, at one time, from the master cylinder to a lever in the cab. Also removed the crumbling cardboard glove box and one of the mirrors. This set of mirrors, as there seem to have been many over the years, were put on with some green sheet metal screws that are used for metal roofing. Won't be using this style mirror on the truck anyways.

Also going to try and hunt down a wheel to switch out with the only split rim that came on the truck, since the tire is shot and I do not like the idea of running one split rim and five regular rims.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:36 PM   #11
tow guys

Nice looking project you have started there. What are your plans for the wrecker portion of the truck after removal? I would be interested in the sling set up if it's gonna be up for grabs and will work on my 70 wrecker. Is it a Weldbilt brand wrecker?
Thanks,
~Tony~
tow guys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:53 PM   #12
Armo67

Quote:
Originally Posted by tow guys View Post
Nice looking project you have started there. What are your plans for the wrecker portion of the truck after removal? I would be interested in the sling set up if it's gonna be up for grabs and will work on my 70 wrecker. Is it a Weldbilt brand wrecker?
Thanks,
~Tony~
Thanks Tony, appreciate that, I really like the wrecker you've built!

The tow bed is a Holmes Wrecker, I have no idea what model it is though. I haven't really spent much time on it since it will be coming off eventually. I should do some more digging and see what I can come up with on it though.

I have a local guy who will have first crack at it. He has several 67-72 trucks and am hoping he'll feel like bartering for it. If it doesn't work out though, it will be up for grabs.
Old 09-04-2013, 02:24 PM   #13
Armo67

Spent all weekend trying to clean out the wiring in the engine bay and under the dash. I've pulled enough disconnected wire to roughly fill a 5 gallon bucket.

I believe I have everything under the hood as it should be now, as compared with my '68. Except for the alternator. It looks like the PO put in an internally regulated alternator and wired it up incorrectly. Most of the wires attached to the alternator were melted through.

Was a mess trying to determine what everything was. The wiring diagrams in the shop manual I had helped me out some. Then the external/internal alternator conversion FAQ on this board helped with the alternator wiring. Still not sure that I got it 100% so I'll be going back through all of it and double checking everything again.

I also broke out the grinder and cut the push bumper the rest of the way off. I'll try and get some pics up today with the push bumper off and of the wiring, although I pretty much forgot to take pics of the wiring mess before I started cleaning it up. I've got to learn to take before pics to go with the after pics.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:49 PM   #14
Armo67

Alright, I think I'll have the wiring for the engine bay all wrapped up this evening with any luck, then I'll move on to the cab and then the bed. Getting closer to driving condition. So that is exciting.

Also went this past weekend to a place around the way and pulled a 16" wheel to replace the split rim, and a gas pedal assembly to go with my LFD conversion kit.

Here is the pedal assembly before I pulled it, the wheel you can see sitting in the tow bed.

I finally crawled all over the tow bed and found a model number for it, some people were curious as to what it was, and also some better pics of the mechanicals.

Old 10-07-2013, 03:01 PM   #15
Armo67

There hasn't been much activity lately. The wife lost her job and her and my son both broke their arms... so funds have pretty much dried up unfortunately.

So it looks like I'll be focusing on trying to clean the '67 up in ways that do not cost me anything for the time being. Definitely not really where I want to be with things, but so is life.

Updates will still be posted, just at a slow pace more than likely. Also looks like I'll be trying to remove and sell the tow bed a lot sooner than I planned. once I figure out an asking price for it.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:06 PM   #16
knomadd

Sorry to hear about your wife's job and her and your son's broken arms. I can imagine funds are tight now. Good luck selling the tow bed.

C/10 Club Texas member
1971 Chevy C10 "Brutus" SWB Fleetside 2016 6.0L (L96) 6L90E (driver/project)
1965 Pontiac GTO "Royal Goat" 400/TH400 w/AC (my baby)
knomadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 05:51 PM   #17
Armo67

For anyone interested or following this, The wrecker bed is for sale. Selling it whole all the way to the PTO. I just need to track down a 6 bolt PTO cover plate for the trans.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/c...ker-bed&cat=18

Hopefully I'll see it go soon so I can work on getting the longhorn bed on it.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:27 PM   #18
Mr Chevorlet
Rusty Nuts

Very nice c30 you have there. Like the red 68 in the background also.

Larry
Mr Chevrolet
My Build, The Marathon Truck
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=604414
Mr Chevorlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 08:53 PM   #19
mrolds88

Armo, nice start for your build. Here's a little info for you. I'm pretty sure that the brake part in the cab you talked about is a working brake. Think of a line lock on a race car. Except it went to the rear brakes. Also the rear is an H072 Eaton/GM axle. Brake parts can be a pain to get sometimes for it. HOWEVER, you can swap over to the later model 14 bolt drums/ backing plates. with a little bit of mods. Hope this helps.
87 K10 Suburban Sold
93 K2500 xcab 6.5TD
96 GMC K2500 Suburban 6.5 TD
mrolds88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 10:09 AM   #20
Armo67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Chevorlet View Post
Very nice c30 you have there. Like the red 68 in the background also.
Thanks Mr. Chevrolet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrolds88 View Post
Armo, nice start for your build. Here's a little info for you. I'm pretty sure that the brake part in the cab you talked about is a working brake. Think of a line lock on a race car. Except it went to the rear brakes. Also the rear is an H072 Eaton/GM axle. Brake parts can be a pain to get sometimes for it. HOWEVER, you can swap over to the later model 14 bolt drums/ backing plates. with a little bit of mods. Hope this helps.
Really appreciate the info Mr. olds! I'll definitely have to look into the 14 bolt drums/backing plates. Everyone around here has been telling me Brake parts for the Eaton are impossible to find. Actually surprising how many c30s I've found local. None of them want to turn loose of them though!
Old 02-19-2014, 04:40 PM   #21
Armo67

It's been a while since I've updated, so I'll bring this up to speed... my wife went back to school for a nursing degree after she loft her job, which I am all for. Whenever someone can further their education, it's always a good thing. It just means that truck funds will be in short supply until she is finished. When she is done though, this project should really start clipping along. Two incomes are so much easier than one.

I've been in the hospital for a bit then bed rest for about two weeks for severe pneumonia. If it isn't one thing it's another. Bright spot in all of this is that it looks like I may have the wrecker bed sold. I'm currently working with a guy from MN to see if we can work a deal and get it up to him. So I'm hopeful there.

I also managed to track down a 6 bolt PTO cover plate for the SM420. It was actually kind of a pain to find one surprisingly. If anyone has any idea what size bolts are used for it that would be helpful. At this point it looks like I'll be guessing when I remove the PTO from the trans.

If the weather holds out this weekend, I think I'll crawl under it and try to remove the PTO and shaft. That way when it comes time to remove the bed all I will have to do is unbolt it and cut the single weld to the frame.

The hoist I was going to use to remove the bed may be a no-go, owner thinks the bed may not fit under the hoist. So I'm trying to find some other options quickly. There is a boat repair place down the road from the house, I noticed it has a pretty good size chain hoist setup behind his shop. Maybe I can talk the guy into letting me use it for a bit in exchange for a little cash. So if anyone has experience removing a wrecker bed, speak up. I'm open to any suggestions.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:58 PM   #22
mrolds88

Armo, why not remove the bed there at the house. All you would need would be a jack, some cribbing and maybe some jackstands. Once everything is loose, jack up the rear end. and crib the wrecker body, lower the jack. Then crib between the body and frame. Continue until the body is clear of the frame and tires, then you can drive out from under.
87 K10 Suburban Sold
93 K2500 xcab 6.5TD
Old 02-20-2014, 09:52 AM   #23
Armo67

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrolds88 View Post
Armo, why not remove the bed there at the house. All you would need would be a jack, some cribbing and maybe some jackstands. Once everything is loose, jack up the rear end. and crib the wrecker body, lower the jack. Then crib between the body and frame. Continue until the body is clear of the frame and tires, then you can drive out from under.
I've thought about that, but I don't think I've got a proper jack for that. Also, space is kind of a limiting factor at the house. it is definitely something I will be looking into though. Thank you.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:53 PM   #24
mrolds88

Understand about the room. But if your jack can lift the back of the truck even one corner at a time, you have the capability to remove the bed. I would list it on CL, Stovebolt and maybe a wrecker site. It looks like a good solid bed. Somebody has to be looking for one.
87 K10 Suburban Sold
93 K2500 xcab 6.5TD
Old 02-20-2014, 02:07 PM   #25
Armo67

yeah, the bed is pretty much sold. We just have to complete payment arrangements and the buyer is trying to arrange shipping/pickup. So that will dictate how quickly I need to remove it. I'm ready to get it off of there though. weather has been decent the last few days and I'm ready to do some work on it.

I think I might be able to make the jack/cribbing option work with the tools I have. One way or another, it'll come off.