The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-29-2015, 11:15 PM   #1
sk8er32283

help with cleaning and restoring a steering wheel

I just picked up a new to me steering wheel that had not one but two layers of steering wheel wrap on it. To my pleasant surprise the handle is in great shape with no cracks. Because I want to keep it in that condition I am asking here what is the best product/method to clean and restore the luster to the vinyl on the steering wheel.
Name:  20150323_200032.jpg
Views: 1261
Size:  28.1 KB

Name:  20150329_204456.jpg
Views: 1230
Size:  64.4 KB

Name:  20150329_204504.jpg
Views: 1222
Size:  47.4 KB

1971 Chevrolet C10(78 motor), Longbed, 69 Bed I think
Quadrajet 4 barrel 7043208, Th350 tranny, No A/C
Various components are lightly to highly modified depending on the number of beers consumed prior to modifications performed.
sk8er32283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 11:29 PM   #2
too much stuff
Roadtrip!

Re: help with cleaning and restoring a steering wheel

Just so you know, that is a 73 and up wheel and are known for being dirty and sticky. Not sure the best way to clean them. This style usually didn't crack.
70 4x4/BB/bkts/posi/tach(retired)
70 swb (wifes)
70 jimmy camper
71 K-5 factory 2wd
71 cheyenne 4x4/tach/posi/ plow rig
71 Cheyenne20 BB, buckets, tach, tilt, 4 speed
72 jimmy CST wyoming rig
72 jimmy Colorado rig
72 lifted texas 4x4 3/4 ton burb
65 fury conv. 383/auto
65 chrysler 300 "L" 413 auto
too much stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 11:49 PM   #3
jeffahart

The original wheel on my truck crumbled like an Oreo cookie under a hammer. When I bought it back it had a mid 70s wheel just like you have there. That god awful thing just oozed sticky plastic. It was gross. I just recently swapped it for a wood 15" grant. Love the new wheel. You are not going to able to do anything with the center rubber part of that wheel. It's just a bad formula of rubber or plastic or whatever it is.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:56 PM   #4
jeffahart

Here's the wheel I just took off. Really sticky, and my new wheel... no sticky!
Attached Images

Old 03-30-2015, 08:10 AM   #5
special-K
Special Order

I don't think you can hurt those wheels. It seems to me I used Lestoil or Pine Sol to clean and kill the funk. Follow that with an interior cleaner to get the solvent res out, then use something like Armorall, Lexan, whatever. Whatever is the best thing out there

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 10:17 AM   #6
jeffahart

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I don't think you can hurt those wheels. It seems to me I used Lestoil or Pine Sol to clean and kill the funk. Follow that with an interior cleaner to get the solvent res out, then use something like Armorall, Lexan, whatever. Whatever is the best thing out there
It's not a matter of hurting the wheel. It's the rubber on the center portion. It gets really sticky and they cannot stopped from oozing oil. Some get so bad they actually drip. GM had some bad plastic mixes for their wheels. Starting with my 70. That year wheel composition was completely crumbling apart way back in the early 80s. I was kinda happy to see the later model wheel on the truck. Till we tried to clean the sticky. You can make it OK for a few days but the sticky come back, it just keeps oozing oil. I kept that wheel pictured for about three years. Just got sick of it. I was gross!

I don't know of anyone who has successfully stopped the sticky once it breaks down to that point.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:40 PM   #7
jeffahart

Just a quick tidbit here. You know my statement above "I love the new wheel". Well, not anymore. I drove the truck today and the damn thing is separating at one of the joints. I just sent NPD an email. Not to completely hijack your post here, but I don't no longer want no one thinking I'm liking the wood grant 3 spoke. I now dislike it and will be moving on to something else.

PS.. the grant lasted one week and one day before it showed its quality!
Attached Images

Last edited by jeffahart; 03-30-2015 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Attach Photo for viewing pleasure!
jeffahart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 12:03 AM   #8
NTIMID8R

^^^^Just scratched that one off my list...

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called "the present".

1971 Sierra Grande LWB, 350/TH350, Factory Air Lots, of future mods planned!!
NTIMID8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 10:22 PM   #9
69SCSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffahart View Post
It's not a matter of hurting the wheel. It's the rubber on the center portion. It gets really sticky and they cannot stopped from oozing oil. Some get so bad they actually drip. GM had some bad plastic mixes for their wheels. Starting with my 70. That year wheel composition was completely crumbling apart way back in the early 80s. I was kinda happy to see the later model wheel on the truck. Till we tried to clean the sticky. You can make it OK for a few days but the sticky come back, it just keeps oozing oil. I kept that wheel pictured for about three years. Just got sick of it. I was gross!

I don't know of anyone who has successfully stopped the sticky once it breaks down to that point.
Wow, yea I had the same wheel on my '68 that I got for free that was wrapped and it's super sticky, even thru the wrap. Went with the LMC 3 spoke wheel, but the grip has already started to wear. The rubber seems a little more fragile than I would have thought, I have 2 gashes in it already. I picked up a stock '68 wheel that I'll be restoring and installing soon.
69SCSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 10:43 PM   #10
jeffahart

I like the 68 wheels and have been keeping my eye out for an nice black one. I have sticky back on the truck after the grant fiasco. You know I made plastic flat springs so the horn would work independently of the cap so I would never get a blowing horn from the horn cap popping off the center. A common problem with the grant. And after all that; the steering wheel wood started separating. Really irritated me. I now bad mouth the wood grant at every opportunity.
Old 05-29-2015, 11:39 PM   #11
69SCSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffahart View Post
I like the 68 wheels and have been keeping my eye out for an nice black one. I have sticky back on the truck after the grant fiasco. You know I made plastic flat springs so the horn would work independently of the cap so I would never get a blowing horn from the horn cap popping off the center. A common problem with the grant. And after all that; the steering wheel wood started separating. Really irritated me. I now bad mouth the wood grant at every opportunity.
I've had quite a few Grants but never a problem like that. Sounds like it wasn't laminated right, but who knows. I haven't bought a Grant since about 2001, so their build quality might have changed since then, has been a few years.

Yea I prefer the '68 wheels too, I have to do some serious work to restore the one I got though, but hey it was the right price (FREE!) so I really can't complain.
69SCSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 05:08 AM   #12
In The Ten Ring

You might try ZEP Orange Gel Degreaser. It is my go to product for removing adhesive. I think Home Depot sells it.

What about the reproduction steering wheels for our trucks? Are those crap too? (I have heard they are brittle).
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 06:19 PM   #13
Factory Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8er32283 View Post
I just picked up a new to me steering wheel that had not one but two layers of steering wheel wrap on it. To my pleasant surprise the handle is in great shape with no cracks. Because I want to keep it in that condition I am asking here what is the best product/method to clean and restore the luster to the vinyl on the steering wheel.
Attachment 1384446

Attachment 1384447

Attachment 1384448
By chance did you ever find a solution mine is just becoming sticky (1973). I wonder if it can be sealed to prevent it from leaking and oozing?
Factory Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 06:25 PM   #14
Factory Guy

Has anybody tried "sealing" these with something like a clear coat so they can no longer breathe?

I know we did a similar thing with certain cars which emitted a pronounced odor from the seam sealer used on the body of these cars years ago, this prevented an odor from entering the passenger compartment.
Factory Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 07:11 PM   #15
notsolo

Gojo hand cleaner works well, cherry with pumice has some grit but won't scratch. I have painted over after degreasing it.
notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 06:47 AM   #16
special-K
Special Order

Can't seal or clear these wheels. It's rubber no plastic. I have never had the extreme problems that some here describe. I use Lestoil or Pine Sol ammonia cleaners and it gets it nice again. That's why I made the can't hurt it comment. You can play hard when it comes to a cleaner. And that makes the wheel stay nice much longer. Never seen one ooze anything. More like dirt stuck to the sticky. I'd want to wash my hands or wear gloves if it was as bad as some describe. Would want to be holding my sandwich with toxins like that on them.

I like the 88-98 wheels for a later soft grip wheel anyway.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 09:09 AM   #17
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: help with cleaning and restoring a steering wheel

Try and find some kind of car wheel. The 60,70 car wheels should fit the truck just fine at least the ones I have refinished did.

My 71 C 10 with 67 Chevelle stering wheel in frist 2 pictures. Then a older Corvette wheel and then my 67 wheel I'm cutting down. Last picture is of the wheels I've re claimed myself.
64 Impala wheels fit as do Corvair and Camaro wheels fit.
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote