The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-29-2016, 10:02 AM   #1
Youngbuck68

292 clearence with brake booster

I'm new to this forum and not sure if it has been discussed but I have a 68 4x4 suburban that I am looking to turbocharge, I have the turbo kit and all but one section of the piping for the 292 but with the turbo manifold it blocks the space where the brake booster sits, I currently do not have a brake booster on it but would like to put one, I was told the 85 or so Toyota boosters are much smaller and will work with light modification to it but haven't been able to try it yet. nyone have any experience with it?
Youngbuck68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 11:04 AM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: 292 clearence with brake booster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngbuck68 View Post
I'm new to this forum and not sure if it has been discussed but I have a 68 4x4 suburban that I am looking to turbocharge, I have the turbo kit and all but one section of the piping for the 292 but with the turbo manifold it blocks the space where the brake booster sits, I currently do not have a brake booster on it but would like to put one, I was told the 85 or so Toyota boosters are much smaller and will work with light modification to it but haven't been able to try it yet. nyone have any experience with it?

I can't help with the question but welcome to the board. I know there is an 8" dual diaphram booster but not sure if that would be small enough to help you or not....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 06:32 PM   #3
Youngbuck68

Is it made for one of these trucks or is it a different maker? I really don't like going far out of stock but as long as it looks fairly close it's not bad, the turbo came out of a 64 suburban at the shop I work at and it had no power brakes because of the clearance issue on the size of the stock booster, I've also never seen a turbo manifold like this, the only thing that identifies it is a patent number that is for general motors turbocharger intake
Old 02-29-2016, 06:39 PM   #4
vectorit
What?

Welcome to the forum, and fellow 1968 4x4 burb owner.

I would start looking at doing a hydroboost conversion for your brakes.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 07:11 PM   #5
Youngbuck68

Is it made for one of these trucks or is it a different maker? I really don't like going far out of stock but as long as it looks fairly close it's not bad, the turbo came out of a 64 suburban at the shop I work at and it had no power brakes because of the clearance issue on the size of the stock booster, I've also never seen a turbo manifold like this, the only thing that identifies it is a patent number that is for general motors turbocharger intake
Attached Images

Old 02-29-2016, 07:50 PM   #6
Youngbuck68

This is the motor it was off of, I think that I am getting it since he wants to do a 350 swap and he said that if I did it for him i could have the 292 which is built up nice, and already has the work done to it to run a turbo, it probably pushes 140 lbs of oil pressure but the aftermarket gauge we put in it for him only goes to 120 and it buries that needle at 2500 rpm.
Attached Images

Old 02-29-2016, 08:37 PM   #7
HO455
Post Whore

Hello from one new guy to another. There are small boosters use by street rodders that are in the 8" or smaller range. They use them underneath the car where the orginal master cylinders were. You should be able to get some info on them from the pre 47 boards and the 47 thru 54 guys. But you will have to do some extra plumbing with some check valves and a vacuum storage canister to make them work. As vectorit said hydroboost is the way to go. I would also recommend the inliners, stovebolt, and the bangshift forums for more info on turboing your 292. Good luck.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 09:25 PM   #8
Youngbuck68

Quote:
Originally Posted by vectorit View Post

Hydroboost? I'm sorry im not familiar with the term. About to do some research though
Old 02-29-2016, 10:58 PM   #9
Youngbuck68

Quote:
Originally Posted by vectorit View Post

I don't have power brakes on my 68 suburban but I don't mind, not my gf wants to drive it, I already have a big clutch with the three prongs which is a monster to push ( which I don't mind) but it seems like it would kill two birds with one stone, however the brakets for a 292 are rare and $, might have to talk my boss into it somehow
Attached Images

Last edited by Youngbuck68; 02-29-2016 at 11:03 PM.
Old 02-29-2016, 11:52 PM   #10
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngbuck68 View Post
8" GM booster:

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...1305&ppt=C0066

I'm at kind of a loss here. You mention a couple of times that you don't like going far out of stock but you are putting a turbo charger on it? That's about as far out of stock as you can get..... Don't get me wrong, I don't have any problem at all with most modifications but if you are going to put the turbo on it I wouldn't think you would have a problem with a different style booster or hydroboost unit. Just curious.

LockDoc

-
Old 03-01-2016, 12:54 AM   #11
HO455
Post Whore

Hydroboost brake systems are used on vehicles that have little or no manifold vacuum available. It consists of a hydraulic pump and reservoir that are mounted like a power steering pump and driven off the engine. The hydraulic pressure is sent to a pedal activated master cylinder that uses the hydraulic pressure to boost the line pressure to the brake slave cylinders. Turbo Buicks in the 80's used them and they are common on diesel vehicles where you don't have a useable vacuum signal. In a manual brake system the normal person can generate around 800 PSI of line pressure. A booster allows the same person to make 1200 PSI or more line pressure. Vacuum boosters are used by the OME as they are cheap and reliable. When the engine is unable to make enough vacuum the have to go another route. On mild turbo setups vacuum boosters are often used (ie 70 & 80's Volvos) GMC Typhoons and Syclono's use a vacuum booster and work fine unless you try to power brake the vehicle then they lose braking power. The problem is when your on the gas when trying to brake your manifold vacuum is no longer available and your unable to make enough line pressure for the slave cylinders to work properly. I have used slave cylinders as a generic term to include disk brake calipers too. The upside of all this is that your not the first one to go down this path and if you spend enough time looking the information you need is out there. Don't overlook the import forums for information on braking with turbos. There are lots of folks dropping Toyota inline turbo sixs in small cars and have found good solutions to packaging brake boosters. Like everything its not cheap or easy to do right, if it was everyone would have one.
Old 03-01-2016, 01:00 AM   #12
HO455
Post Whore

GREAT GOBS OF GREEN OWL GOO!!!!!!!
No wonder he wants to turbo it, did you see the bumper he's got! That's one sure-fire Prius eater.
Old 03-01-2016, 01:48 AM   #13
Youngbuck68

I don't want to do something that takes it out of stock that I can't just bolt off, so far I have. Besides what the previous owner did like cut a section of the roof out, it's not unmolested but other than the section which I think I am going to buy from a man up north and re splice the home together and it has full front to back air in it, I want to go put of stock as long as it doesn't hurt stock if that makes any sense, the modification to the 85 Toyota is in the Toyota bracket
Old 03-01-2016, 07:45 AM   #14
Youngbuck68

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
GREAT GOBS OF GREEN OWL GOO!!!!!!!
No wonder he wants to turbo it, did you see the bumper he's got! That's one sure-fire Prius eater.
Oh that ugly rear bumper has gotta go, i haven't got around to cutting that monster off yet but it's hideous I know, I'm just now starting to dig into it, had to get it kinda running and driving first so I can move it around the yard. Originally came with a 327 with a ragged can in it but I wanted to do something a little different, and an old school turbo setup on a 292 is what I want to do. Not really looking at going fast just would like some extra torque.
Old 03-01-2016, 12:59 PM   #15
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Member kyull67 boosted his I6. Here is the thread on it:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...257202&page=24

Info on the turbo starts with post #591.

LockDoc

-
Old 03-02-2016, 12:15 AM   #16
HO455
Post Whore

Plus the step on the upper gate to the upper patio sure makes me think that your Burb spent some time parked in the infield of a NASCAR track or two on race day.
Old 03-03-2016, 01:16 AM   #17
In The Ten Ring

Did this Burb used to be an ambulance?
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 09:48 AM   #18
Youngbuck68

I thought it was when I first saw it on eBay but no, some moron mated the top part of a truck bed camper to it and made a t.v. the guy I work with has a friend up north with a whole upper roof and the center a.c. unit that I am going to buy and kill two birds with one stone.