The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-03-2014, 11:47 AM   #1
killerpanel

Front suspension crossmember?

I am trying to lose weight on the front end. Plans are for street/drag racing the truck. I want to ditch the front suspension, but most the systems I see are for drop suspensions, air bags and stuff. Nothing really for Drag set up. I would like to retain an "O.E." style components and NOT end up with alot of hard to replace specialty parts. does anybody know if anthing exists?
killerpanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 01:58 PM   #2
tinydb84

Re: Front suspension crossmember?

Most of the companies make a coil over option which would be nice for a drag set up but would replace most of the front suspension.

I am a bit confused though, if you aren't looking to replace a lot of the front suspension what are you trying to replace?
Rear suspension rework: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=750557
Instagram: myfabguy
tinydb84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:44 PM   #3
killerpanel

I am looking to replace it, yes. But the problem I have had with Heidts parts is they use there own calipers, ball joints, rotors and such. So when something needed replacement, you had to go back to them. $$$$ There are companies that make control arms that use Original equipment style ball joint. And will give you the Moog replacement # so you can go to Napa and replace these parts. I don't want to get stuck with a bunch of specialty, 1 off parts that I can't replace.
killerpanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:57 PM   #4
69gmcc10

look at Porterbuilt, they have tubular cross members and A-arms that will help with drive-ability, cut weight and mount to factory spindles so you can use stock steering, breaks and ball joints.

Also, if they don't have what you are looking for they might be able to help design, build or send you in the right direction to get what you want.

03 Silverado build thread-http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=591582
69gmcc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:04 PM   #5
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerpanel View Post
I am looking to replace it, yes. But the problem I have had with Heidts parts is they use there own calipers, ball joints, rotors and such. So when something needed replacement, you had to go back to them. $$$$ There are companies that make control arms that use Original equipment style ball joint. And will give you the Moog replacement # so you can go to Napa and replace these parts. I don't want to get stuck with a bunch of specialty, 1 off parts that I can't replace.
Porterbuilts stuff uses C10 parts. I know their parts (crossmember & a-arms) are typically lighter than OE stuff. You might try them & see if they can do chromoly for greater weight savings. They have a coil-over option.

Fatmans Fab has a bolt-in C10 set-up thats MII based so replacement parts for those should be typical parts store items. They're also prob lighter duty & would likely also be lighter weight.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:01 PM   #6
CHRIS67GMC

No-Limits is way lighter then stock I think its like 125#s. You could just run any of the drag racing stuff and make your own.
CHRIS67GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:54 PM   #7
bdiamond

It may not be the way you want to go, but you could drop probably 20-25lbs fairly easily. You could have the lower shafts machined out of aluminum. I bet those stockers weigh 6-8 lbs. each. Another thing you could do is swap the calipers to the smaller metric calipers. I think I've heard this was good for 3 lbs. a side. Modifieds use the big caliper spindles but use a tab to fit the metric caliper. I think Speedway carries them. If not Harris does or any other modified chassis builder. You could even go to aluminum calipers that way too. I wouldn't be afraid to swiss cheese the stock arms and crossmember within reason either. They are way overbuilt for just street driving.
bdiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:26 PM   #8
Scottshotrods

Other option to look at here at Scotts We have a bolt in and weld in ifs for your truck.
For drag race use.We have several customers out there who have our bolt in and weld in ifs on there trucks that do drag race.

1.Johnny shomate has a 67 c-10 out of Houston who has one of the fastest c-10 out there in a 1/8 mile.Low 4's in a steel body c-10
ifs set up with a manual rack
Wilwood 12 inch rotor slotted only
Wilwood 4 piston caliper
No sway-bar
Double adjustable coil-overs
weighs in at 186lbs
Truck weighs over 3200lbs

We several more in the Houston and Oklahoma and Dallas area that drag race there trucks with our kits

For our ifs you have two choices

1.Scotts C-10 bolt in or weld in we do have one that uses a 73-87 ball joint and a 73-87 c-10 spindal as a option

Second option

2.Scotts C-10 bolt in or weld in that will come with a mustang spindal and the parts can be purchased at any parts store in the country for calipers-ball joints ect

If you have any questions you can send us a e-mail at scotts@scottshotrods.com
You can call us at 1 (800)273-5195 hrs 7am till 5pm pacific time if you have any questions at all

Justin
Scottshotrods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:09 PM   #9
CHRIS67GMC

So your saying a 3200# steel truck is running low 4s that's cool you have pics of this 2400hp C-10
Old 02-04-2014, 12:15 PM   #10
tech@scottshotrods

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRIS67GMC View Post
So your saying a 3200# steel truck is running low 4s that's cool you have pics of this 2400hp C-10
Here ya go.

tech@scottshotrods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 12:55 PM   #11
CHRIS67GMC

Very Cool!!