The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-13-2017, 10:41 AM   #1
Grumpy old man

I got Jacked !

Spent hours with paypal and multiple visits to the bank shutting down accounts and changing all my security info ordering new cards and just a real pita !

Somehow a guy named Shawn Lyon got my checking acct info added it to his paypal account as his own bank account(seems the use numbers and not names ?) and decided to buy some snow boarding equipment from active sports/ the board house on my dime !

Once the bank reverses the charges I would guess the Board house will be out their money for the equipment if it has already been shipped ?

I'm thinking he would have to provide a shipping address to get HIS NEW GEAR ?

Has anybody had to deal with this situation before ?
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 11:04 AM   #2
richard2717
Equal opportunity joke ofender

Re: I got Jacked !

Wow........No I haven't and I hope I never do. Hope you get it resolved quickly. You would think PayPal would have some checks and balances that would have caught this since it was your active account with him trying to change the bank info and addresses. Makes me second guess using someone like paypal if it is that easy to hack
Dually Jams, OlBlue60, ScottH, Tommyboy24, Dujobo, Warbucket, 2003 Silverado, Notsolo, my90k5, 6t727t2, Special-K ,Jack_71C10, tabarcus,72blazer_mud_bogger,pwdcougar,RSavage,EricSean,1Rippen6,invicta455,tennaragtop71,arks, Kendal,Bennett68C10, Perpendicular, Chainsawman, McGeesCustomMinis,ShortbedClayton,longblue72,6768chevylover,Tim71,Travisarmenta,Ol' Drippy,fleetmitch,georgieb51,Dave,bcnya2,Dadsburb
https://paypal.me/6772GMtruckparts
Most women like the strong, silent type… Fortunately for me, my wife prefers the out-of-shape, mouthy type.
richard2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 11:04 AM   #3
fecklessgadfly

Sorry to hear about this, Grump. Those Dipwads are trying these things all the time. With the hacks on major companies like Chase, Yahoo!, and more, there's no telling how they got your info. May have even bought it off the Internet in some of the darker areas.

If he was dumb enough to use his real name and address, there should be repercussions. Have you looked into pressings charges, or is that left to the bank/Paypal?

I hope you don't have any lasting problems over this.

2014 GMC Terrain I4 (wife's new ride)
2005 Dodge Magnum 3.5 (wife's old ride)
2003 GMC Sierra 5.3 Extended Cab
1972 Chevy Cheyenne 350
fecklessgadfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 11:08 AM   #4
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

My discover card has been hit twice, but each time discover shut it down before anything happened. The charges were like $1-$2 test charges to see if the card worked, but they were far away, one was FL, the other was TX, so they were flagged and my card shut down. Love discover. Thankfully, my bank account has never been hit.

If I remember right, paypal needs the account and routing numbers... kind of hard to know/get? Is this someone you maybe sent a check/payment to? They might have used a different name, but with your address and check numbers, they could do it?

I hate snow sports. I damn near paralyzed myself in a snowboarding accident around 2001. Haven't even been on a sled since.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 11:16 AM   #5
Grumpy old man

I have a very good relationship with my bank and my money has already been returned , The Paypal rep said (Shawn Lyons) called into the board house and gave them the card # it wasn't processed by paypal it went directly to my bank somehow ? It's all a bit confusing to me but I check my accounts everyday and caught it very fast . Nothing worse than a thief !

They said he stole my info on 12/25/16 so now we have to go thru every single charge since then , I didn't pay attention to every less than $50.00 amount before but I will now !
Old 01-13-2017, 11:26 AM   #6
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Sorry to hear that Grumpy.

I came back from a trip to GA a few years ago, no problem with gas charges until I got back to my home town and went to fill up. It wouldn't accept the Discover card. I called the number on the card and they said they put a hold on it. Wondered if I had charged $1300 worth of computer games, I said no, I don't even play computer games...... Someone at one of the gas stations ripped my number and other info off. Luckily all I had to do was get a new card.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 02:50 PM   #7
mongocanfly
Post Whore

I've got a cabelas visa card and there have been 3 attemps of fraud on my card over the last couple years..they caught it every time so far before i got charged...other than them putting a hold on my card I never knew anything was going on.
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 03:35 PM   #8
ranger danger

My visa got jacked two times. Once I got a bill for a euro rail pass and one year subscription to the European cable TV. Once I got a bill for over $20k for woman's cloths from Nieman Marcus. The bank took care of it but I still had to change all my accounts.
US Navy 1979-1983 Gunners Mate Guns (GMG)
NRA Life Member

Unrestrained Children in back seats cause Accidents.
Unrestrained Accidents in back seats cause Children.
ranger danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 03:53 PM   #9
Malo83
Cruzzzn' Vet

Had my VISA card jacked for $600 by someone in NYC years ago, credit union took care of everything, new card with new account, last time I use my card on the internet.
Malo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 04:16 PM   #10
el_fantasma

Several ears ago we were burglarized. The thief stole two laptops and a credit card and used it to buy some donuts at 7 eleven. Apparently 7 eleven takes a picture of every transaction. The police saw the picture and immediately recognized the guy. They went to his house and some of our stuff was still there.

I was amazed the police even bothered but apparently he was guilty of several burglaries so they were motivated.
Old 01-13-2017, 04:28 PM   #11
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Sorry to hear about it Grumpy.... glad though that things are working out but still a pita to deal with. Damn thieves are at it 24-7, I guess they never sleep. We've been lucky so far, have not been targeted (yet).

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 05:41 PM   #12
87max

maybe he works somewhere where your info passed through copied info and called in the card numbers. My business debit got it once for 6k luckily my bank caught it quickly & shut it down. I did get reimbursed. Last year someone walked into an apple store a few states away used my name & somehow got 7 I phones & accounts opened up on my Verizon account I think that was around 2k. That was an ongoing saga for 6 months with Verizon. I lost a few bucks by the time the dust settled but I just wanted it over with.
87max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 06:04 PM   #13
BASE

If the board house is a real place then they know where he lives. Start breaking bones until they give you his address.

This happened to me a while back and someone jacked my card through PayPal and ordered a bunch of high dollar camera stuff. When I checked into the vendor I found they were not a real vendor, just a website and a way to launder money.

$4k wasn't enough to get any LEO attention and the thieves turned out to be offshore. I would gladly spend $8k to find them and pay them a visit though.
BASE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 07:14 PM   #14
Grumpy old man

Well the bank gave gave me his name and action sports / the board house as the vendor so I looked them up online and called them and talked to the manager after I explained everything and told him I understood he couldn't give me an address he agreed and said "Are you sure you don't know anyone named Shawn Lyon in Corryton ,Tn ? " Well Corryton is only about 10 miles away and so small it doesn't even have a blinking light so it only took a short while to find family members online along with his address ! One of his online account names is F*****G STONER so that explains a lot ... Now to find out how he accessed my account #s ?
Old 01-13-2017, 11:27 PM   #15
friscobob

I bought a coffee at Starbucks with unusually poor service and an attempt to buy $4200 worth of something which got denied because it was way far from anyplace I'd ever shopped and way more than I had ever spent at one time. Resulted in a new card and nobody out of pocket. I'm more observant of where and how my card gets handled.
Bob
friscobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 05:57 PM   #16
el_fantasma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
Now to find out how he accessed my account #s ?
How do you plan to do that?
Old 01-15-2017, 01:18 AM   #17
In The Ten Ring

My sister is a drug addict but my parents refused to see it. She practiced signing my mother's name (right in front of mom, feeding her a story of "oh your handwriting is so nice, I want to be able to do that") and then withdrew several hundred dollars from mom's various accounts. She got greedy and tried to take out 10K but the bank spotted it and ran her off.

I talked my mother into filing felony charges against her but she had already fled the state. She had previously been arrested for grand theft after bouncing a check at a jewelry store where she ripped off a lifetime friend. My parents and I share an account so I went ahead and had to get some of my accounts changed too. I just wish she had forged my name instead of mom's. *I suspect mom has since dropped the charges, I would have pushed until she was put away.

Parents just cannot accept the fact that their kids become thieves. I asked my dad "if you knew she had a conviction for grand theft, why did you trust her here?" Dad said "we never thought she'd steal from us!" SMH

Sis also stole mom's jewelry, which she never saw again.

I had a Lyman folding sight stolen out of my mailbox in 2014. After that I stopped all delivery service of any kind to my house and I now pay for a post office box. Large items I will get sent to my parents or I'll pick those up in person at the Fed Ex or UPS hub.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 09:11 AM   #18
Grumpy old man

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_fantasma View Post
Old 01-15-2017, 09:15 AM   #19
Grumpy old man

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_fantasma View Post

Grumpy may be getting old but I'm still 6'2" at 265 , I plan on stopping by to have a nice pleasant discussion with him ending with him in handcuffs .
Old 01-15-2017, 10:45 AM   #20
ranger danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post

Grumpy may be getting old but I'm still 6'2" at 265 , I plan on stopping by to have a nice pleasant discussion with him ending with him in handcuffs .
Perhaps ending with you both in handcuffs.....but it might be worth it!!!
US Navy 1979-1983 Gunners Mate Guns (GMG)
NRA Life Member

Unrestrained Children in back seats cause Accidents.
Unrestrained Accidents in back seats cause Children.
ranger danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 01:35 PM   #21
kcsa75

I work in Information Security and can tell you that this is a cat and mouse game. As soon as a vulnerability is found and fixed, the bad guys start working on another way in. It just goes back and forth.

My bank card has been breached numerous times. Self service gas pumps and ATMs are among the easiest for crooks to use to steal CC information.

The good news is that most credit card companies and financial institutions are generally on top of their game and are able to catch most attempts before any damage is done.

People who blindly follow a GPS end up on television programs on The Weather Channel. Some survive, some don't.
kcsa75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 07:52 AM   #22
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

Living that close it's possible he uses the same bank and has a similar account number. Keep a clear open mind when digging for truth
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote