The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-16-2023, 12:06 PM   #1
doug_p

67 CST, no buckets - bench seat

So I don't want to start any arguments on the forum, but my 67 CST appears to have come from the Fremont factory with a bench seat, not buckets. I also have a CST emblem on the drivers side door just below the center of the side window, and a CUSTOM emblem on the passenger side door same location . . . my SPID clearly shows it as a CST. Can anyone help me with whether this sounds correct or not; I have read numerous threads of varying opinions. Thanks for any clarification - DP
doug_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 12:09 PM   #2
dagnabbitt

Re: 67 CST, no buckets - bench seat

Post the SPID if you can.

If someone wanted to order a CST without buckets I think the dealership would let them. Unusual but possible I would think.
1967 K20
1968 C20
1970 C10
1972 GMC 2500
1981 C10
dagnabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 12:19 PM   #3
doug_p

I'll try to post up a picture tonight when I get home. Thanks for the reply -
Old 06-17-2023, 01:41 PM   #4
68bowtie

Post the SPID, and also the seat please.

Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh)
68bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 06:04 PM   #5
54blackhornet

In the late 60’s early 70’s I worked at a Pontiac dealership that would swap entire interiors if necessary to close a sale.
Old 06-17-2023, 07:18 PM   #6
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54blackhornet View Post
In the late 60’s early 70’s I worked at a Pontiac dealership that would swap entire interiors if necessary to close a sale.
That's just crazy! How did they even make any money on a car with that much extra labor involved? Or did the customer pay for the swap? I do know that parts could get swapped around for warranty work, like taking the y-pipe off a vehicle in stock to fix a customer's vehicle. GM would pay for both R&Rs. But that was just because of a parts availability issue.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 08:43 PM   #7
CKfan

My brother worked at Three-Way Chevrolet in Bakersfield in the early/mid seventies. He remembers switching out wheels, hubcaps, bumpers and even seats/carpet on cars and trucks as directed by the sales department.

Times were different back then, economy was in the tank. If it happened there, it happened most everywhere. I never say never.
CKfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 09:05 PM   #8
jocko

What clues make you state that it appears to have come from the factory with a bench seat? While it's possible the dealer did it, the dealer had to have the right color lying around or order the seat to do it - which is possible; all things being equal, it's more likely that someone swapped a bench in over the years, but I do look forward to the pics. The non-CST nameplate was changed out since you've confirmed CST on the SPID.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 09:42 PM   #9
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKfan View Post
My brother worked at Three-Way Chevrolet in Bakersfield in the early/mid seventies. He remembers switching out wheels, hubcaps, bumpers and even seats/carpet on cars and trucks as directed by the sales department.

Times were different back then, economy was in the tank. If it happened there, it happened most everywhere. I never say never.
I worked for three different dealers, '70- '72. We did the wheels and tires, and maybe bumper guards, but those were a new install. We also did some (cheesy) custom trim paint and those (also cheesy) body side molding strips. In the tank? That 80-something day strike in '70 rings a bell.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 11:56 PM   #10
1970 CST Short Wide
Senior Moment

I bought a New Toyota 4 Runner in 1984. It had Black interior and I wanted Brown. They swapped it out to make me happy and make the sale
2019 GMC Diesil Dually. Youngest Son
2017 Toyota SUV Daughters car
2018 Traverse , Wife’s Ride
Pittsburg Ca
1970 CST Short Wide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 07:26 AM   #11
special-K
Special Order

The SPID/glovebox door is original to the truck, right? Just covering the bases. Does the truck have a center seat belt? Are there holes in the cab behind the seat where the carpet fasteners were. Or does it still have that carpet? Then there would be holes from the center seat back brace as well. Is the bench seat done in OEM upholstery? I only know CSTs to have buckets with vinyl. Then there was the Custom seat with cloth inserts and the base trim all vinyl seat with less foam and different pattern

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 09:32 AM   #12
chevmn

I had a 67 CST which I purchased used when it was approx. 10 years old, which had a bench seat, and while I cannot say 100%, I am fairly confident it was factory. The seat was cloth, and different than other trim levels on trucks I saw at the time, or since. Unfortunately I sold the truck many years ago, and have no photos of it (or spid). I believe this was a very late 67, and also had the bright eyebrow trim pieces which many also say was 68 only. Highly optioned truck - CST, 327, auto, all power and trim options, speed warning indicator, tach, throttle, wood bed floor, etc. Wish I had spoken to the previous owner to see if had any interesting info, but he passed away a couple years ago.
chevmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 01:16 PM   #13
doug_p

Ok, sorry guys I have not gotten all the pics posted up yet, I will try to remember to post the rest tonight. Here is the SPID, and . . . to answer a few of the questions I have seen, everything looks to be original to me, and I was told the truck sat in a barn for approximately 35 ish years or so prior to the PO purchasing it. The glove box door matches the rest of the interior, and all the numbers on the truck match to the SPID, so I do not think it's been changed. The seat is a vinyl covered bench that appears as though it would have matched the cardinal (I think) red the truck came from the factory in. There are center belts, though these appear to be an add-on as the material does not match the factory belts. The interior is the fawn/light tan except for the seat, which today looks orange (as does the paint actually). I do not have the original carpet but do have a replacement piece to put in. If I remember correctly, (and I'll verify) there are holes across the top of the panel behind the seats. The CST and Custom emblems sure look like they have never been removed - but if they never came from the factory marked in this fashion, then obviously someone replaced one of the CST's w/the Custom one. I do find tracking all this information down interesting -
Attached Images

1967 C10 SBFS
and a couple non-trucks
Old 06-19-2023, 01:23 PM   #14
CKfan

Should be a strap tag on the back of the seat (somewhere) that has a part number on one side and date code on the other. If found, that would be helpful.
Attached Images

CKfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 02:45 PM   #15
doug_p

I will look for this strap tag tonight. I also have a copy of the build sheet, that is still "semi-readable" maybe I'll attach a photo of it also.
Thanks for the help-

Doug
1967 C10 SBFS
and a couple non-trucks
Old 06-19-2023, 03:33 PM   #16
HO455
Post Whore

I know that my dad bought a 74 Club Cab W200 Dodge Power Wagon with the Adventurer package new in 75. It had set on the lot for a year before he bought it. Part of the deal was they would order and install a bench seat in it. The truck had come equipped with bucket seats and a console that was hooked to the AC. It took 2 or 3 months for the bench seat to arrive at the dealership.

Did it come original with a bench seat? No. But at most the truck had 3000 miles on the odometer when the dealer swapped the seats.

I'd bet those newly removed bucket seats and console found their way into a base model truck and maybe along with an emblem swap or two the dealership more than paid for the cost of the bench seat swap when that truck sold.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377

Last edited by HO455; 06-19-2023 at 03:41 PM.
HO455 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 09:22 AM   #17
special-K
Special Order

Your interior is fawn but this bench seat is red? That right there says not factory. I also find it odd that a '67 CST wouldn't have the interior paint matching the exterior. Makes me thinkit's actually a Custom, the CST door emblem is not original, and maybe the SPID is printed wrong. I am open to the possibility of exceptions, but I'm seeing more than one. we see other discrepencies in SPID printing but most are commonly seen. Never seen this one, if that's what it is.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 06-22-2023, 05:04 PM   #18
doug_p

Ok, so no luck on the tag, I looked and looked for it too . . . I have a couple photos of the seat sort of up close to show the vinyl pattern. The bench also has a build sheet underneath - I left that one there, the build sheet that I found behind the seat back I removed and have in my truck records. I can tell the truck had the same color interior as exterior at one point, but it looks to have been sprayed over with the fawn. It "could" have been a PO, but as far as I know, this would not have been the case. There is just too much that has been painted "correctly," if you will, that it isn't a fly by night aerosol can job - at least it sure doesn't appear to be to me. Can anyone tell me if this seat pattern looks correct for a 67? Don't pay attention the the seat cover on the backrest - that's not an actual seat pattern. Also to verify a question from above, I do have a row of standard head screws in the top of the panel just behind the seat that appear to have possibly been used for carpet in the past I assume - they are to evenly done and all the same screw (and old looking) for someone to have added them. Plus, they are currently doing nothing as there is no rear wall carpet today. Thanks all -
Attached Images

1967 C10 SBFS
and a couple non-trucks
Old 06-22-2023, 05:51 PM   #19
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_p View Post
Ok, so no luck on the tag, I looked and looked for it too . . . I have a couple photos of the seat sort of up close to show the vinyl pattern. The bench also has a build sheet underneath - I left that one there, the build sheet that I found behind the seat back I removed and have in my truck records. I can tell the truck had the same color interior as exterior at one point, but it looks to have been sprayed over with the fawn. It "could" have been a PO, but as far as I know, this would not have been the case. There is just too much that has been painted "correctly," if you will, that it isn't a fly by night aerosol can job - at least it sure doesn't appear to be to me. Can anyone tell me if this seat pattern looks correct for a 67? Don't pay attention the the seat cover on the backrest - that's not an actual seat pattern. Also to verify a question from above, I do have a row of standard head screws in the top of the panel just behind the seat that appear to have possibly been used for carpet in the past I assume - they are to evenly done and all the same screw (and old looking) for someone to have added them. Plus, they are currently doing nothing as there is no rear wall carpet today. Thanks all -
I vaguely recall that vinyl ['ladder'] pattern on the folding bench seat that was original to my '68 C/10 Stepside from Fremont. My seat was a Silver Grey Fawn however. That seat is lone gone.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 06-22-2023 at 08:17 PM. Reason: typo
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 06:36 PM   #20
Canuckvetter
How did I get this OLD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_p View Post
The red seat pattern is correct for the standard seat (base package) for 67. Like others have said the custom bench had full foam seat with cloth inserts. If that seat has the build sheet still attached the vin on that build sheet would match your truck to prove it left Fremont that way.
1967 Oshawa built LWB Fleetside. 327,3 OTT, 515 Vermilion, CST, PS, PB, Shoulder Harness, Tach,Vac, Speed Warning, Choke Delete, Manual Throttle, Fawn interior. Dealer installed A/C 04/2015, N34 Rosewood Wheel 06/2023
Members who I have met personally. Metaldoc, chevnkevin, 62 Longbed, 72LHorn, 72MARIO, YBNORML, TBONE1964, Classic Bowties, Chevemall, Dagnabbitt.
Canuckvetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 09:31 PM   #21
chevmn

Appears the seat and back are two different patterns of vinyl? As someone mentioned, the "ladder" pattern was used on a base model truck. My dad had a 67 base trim with that exact vinyl (entire seat), and color. Custom and CST would definitely have a different material. My guess is that the original seat(s) for the CST are long gone, replaced by the seat shown, and appears at least a portion recovered with different material.
chevmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 03:17 AM   #22
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevmn View Post
Appears the seat and back are two different patterns of vinyl? As someone mentioned, the "ladder" pattern was used on a base model truck. My dad had a 67 base trim with that exact vinyl (entire seat), and color. Custom and CST would definitely have a different material. My guess is that the original seat(s) for the CST are long gone, replaced by the seat shown, and appears at least a portion recovered with different material.
The other pattern you see is an aftermarket clear vinyl ''pucker'' design that was often put over carseats to make them last longer.
The black fabric that was originally on a '69 Thunderbird electric Bucket back, Bench botton seat I traded my Fawn '68 seat for in 1977, had that same clear stuff. It's not original,

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 08:15 AM   #23
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine View Post
The other pattern you see is an aftermarket clear vinyl ''pucker'' design that was often put over carseats to make them last longer.
The black fabric that was originally on a '69 Thunderbird electric Bucket back, Bench botton seat I traded my Fawn '68 seat for in 1977, had that same clear stuff. It's not original,
Yeah, that ugly uncomfortable plastic seat cover you put on your new seats to preserve them so the guy who buys it used can have a nice seat

Tim

Old 06-23-2023, 10:29 AM   #24
doug_p

Build sheet numbers, match SPID and drivers door information so I am pretty confident the interior is as it came from the factory (less some items - steering wheel, plus some items - AC). Seems as though this truck came with fawn/red interior. I have a photo of the truck w/factory carpet, it was red.
I appreciate all the information fellas - thanks a bunch.

DP
1967 C10 SBFS
and a couple non-trucks
Old 06-23-2023, 10:32 AM   #25
68bowtie

I think it’s possible it came from a DEALER with a red/fawn interior. But not from the FACTORY.

Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh)
68bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote