The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Alternate Tinkerings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-18-2009, 11:41 AM   #1
Rokcrln

Re: '66 Sunbeam Minx Project - F20C/6sp/4-link/Discs...

Looking good Mike! You had me thinking about doing a 4 banger power plant for an early scratch built roadster pick up I am designing but I came across a 4 cam lincoln 4.6 mod with 50 K on it that will fit the bill a bit better for this build but maybe next time in a little 34 roadster or something. Keep up the progress and get back to that Hoe sometime soon

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Last edited by Rokcrln; 09-18-2009 at 11:42 AM.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:52 AM   #2
IvelDesigns
Commander Taco Bello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokcrln View Post
I came across a 4 cam lincoln 4.6 mod with 50 K on it
I'm no ford guy, but those 4.6's are some good cheap power. I've seen some builds where guys have pulled a butt load of HP out of them relatively cheap.
IvelDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 06:42 PM   #3
Frizzle Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokcrln View Post
Looking good Mike! You had me thinking about doing a 4 banger power plant for an early scratch built roadster pick up I am designing but I came across a 4 cam lincoln 4.6 mod with 50 K on it that will fit the bill a bit better for this build but maybe next time in a little 34 roadster or something. Keep up the progress and get back to that Hoe sometime soon

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Love 4cammers. The F20C is a good match for this car's intended use; daily street and occasional weekend ax/drift/silliness.

Still making progress on the DS. I've also been doing a lot of research for the selection/design of the steering. It's not a matter of simply selecting a rack with the right inner-to-inner tie rod length and putting it in the right position. The position of the engine in this car will not allow the correct placement of a "conventional" rack. So I'm designing the steering around a center steer rack similar to this:

The problem is that all the center steer units I can find are designed for rear steer. I may end up getting a RHD rear steer unit and using it for LHD front steer... We'll see.
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 02:11 AM   #4
woodwright
Enjoying left field

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frizzle Fry View Post
The problem is that all the center steer units I can find are designed for rear steer. I may end up getting a RHD rear steer unit and using it for LHD front steer... We'll see.
A center steer from a 94ish Dodge intrepid would be correct.
[IMG][/IMG]

They mount to the firewall, but the tie rods cross over the crossmember. This one's in my GMC, but I don't think I'm gonna use it. Let me know if you need any dimensions or anything.

70 Chevy 4WD "Ultimate Work Truck" SOLD

Last edited by woodwright; 09-21-2009 at 02:15 AM.
woodwright is offline   Reply With Quote