The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-06-2015, 11:25 PM   #1
INeedHelp

What to do first

Hello guys, super new to the forum. So im gonna buy a 67 c-10 lwb. Everything is manual all the way down to the steering. Brakes transmission etc. Does have some cancer in the normal spots. What should i do to it first. Brakes, steering rust. Please give some advice.

Thank you
INeedHelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 05:46 AM   #2
Xeen

Re: What to do first

My first bit of advice is not to buy the first truck you see, since you are in Cali try to buy the cleanest example you can find for the money, it's all about bang for your buck.
Spend time under the truck with a flashlight and take a hard look at the floor of the cab including the structural steel, the less rust the better.
Inspect the entire windshield support above and below the glass, drip rail, front inner roof panel, and upper door opening closely and look for rust, the less the better.
Look behind the seat to see if the cab corners have been replaced and if so how it was done, butt welded or overlaid.
After you have looked at a couple of them you will know pretty quickly which one you should buy.
They will probably all need repairs but the less you have to do the better.

Last edited by Xeen; 09-07-2015 at 05:56 AM.
Xeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 06:49 AM   #3
kingstrider

Welcome to the forum! Xeen provides good advice. I looked at a lot of trucks before pulling the trigger on my 72 swb and it was was the cleanest one I could find that was still within budget. It is better to spend more on a solid truck than less for a rusty one. You'll be further ahead in the long run and can enjoy it more from the start vs buying a project that may take years to get out of the garage.
kingstrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 07:35 AM   #4
jaros44sr

Make sure numbers match truck and title

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 11:34 AM   #5
INeedHelp

I appreciate all your input, everyone thank you. Xeen i have been looking for almost 5 months. I've been all the way from Tijuana to nor cal. This one seems to be the best for what my budget is.i will check the corners and every where else to see what has been done where. I've been talking to the guy and he says it's a daily driver. But ill see how true that is but dont get me wrong i dont wanna knock his character. He has been pretty honest and straightforward. So it'll get the benefit of the doubt. Ill let you guys know what happens in a couple days. He's on vacation so im gonna go look at it whwn he comes back. Post some pics for you to see.
Old 09-07-2015, 01:34 PM   #6
Advanced Design

Ineedhelp, welcome to the forum!

Once you get the truck, enjoy it for awhile before taking it apart. Too many projects are enthusiastically disassembled and the owner runs out of...skill, money, time, interest or a combination of them. I see them on Craigslist frequently. Make it safe and reliable to drive then figure out what you want and evaluate your skills and budget to get there. Lots of great information and helpful people here that can help you out.
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 02:12 PM   #7
INeedHelp

Thanks advanced designs. This is something im not gonna rush. I will take you up on that and enjoy it for a while.