The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-17-2017, 07:52 PM   #26
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Re: Took A Little Ride Last Weekend

Wow Tim, the old XL's are cool. What an honor to get to do the parade. Being a old bike painter, whoever did that bike was an awesome painter/artist. I love my Roadglide but miss the sporty that I put so much work in. But life moves on and I have 90,000 plus miles on the glide. It's much nicer for an older guy like me. I thought my cabin was old (1883). But the east coast has the REAL old history. Awesome stuff.. Again, thanks for the great ride along.

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 08:00 PM   #27
Ol Blue K20

Just a side note for ya. If you go to www.ghosttownexplorers.org and go to western sierra and then to Forest City. He lists ky cabin as "Dales meat market and disco" . It was a meat market in the hey day of the gold rush town. I turned the store area into my man cave.

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 09-17-2017, 10:13 PM   #28
Chevyland

The chainsaw pics
We're, just Sooo cool!!!

That's neat when you go back to childhood memories
Where you spent time at your grandparents
Those memories are strong😀😀😀

I did that a few years ago
Looked for my grandparents house I used to visit, as a kid
And where my grandfather drove me around in his 72 chevy pickup
My dad gave me the adress, I got there, and couldn't find it
So, I called him, he said yea that's it, look really close
I had to visualize what it used to look like
The house had been remodeled, and was unrecognizable

Thanks for sharing, your weekend with us
Chevyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 12:59 AM   #29
special-K
Special Order

Dale, that is gettin' pretty old for California. I'll check it out. When I lived in Fortuna I loved to go out to Ferndale and Old Town in Eureka. Mt. Airy is about the same age, 1897. It came to be as a whistle stop for the B&O Railroad when they punched that through. My place is 1857 about 6 miles out of town. Later they built a tunnel and bypass the town.

The guy that painted the Sportster has been at it since the '60s. He's up in Garrett County (Murray Signs/Grantsville, MD). People had him painting their customs all over the country back in the trick paint days. The Sportster is a subtle example of hs work. I think he did that job for cost of materials.

Yeah Eric, that's what going to Friendsville is for me. And since the '70s when the Friend's Family Association formed and they opened the library & museum I can go back all the way to New Sweden where they came off the boat. I've been going there all my life. Lots of stories. It's a whitewater mecca now since around 1980. Talk about stories, remember Ole Red Jenkins had the bar on the river. If those walls could talk. No remodeling done on the grandparent's place, yet sure looks different...and small!! The interstate went through in the mid-70s and it took the houses up past the one above there's and everything across the street and up. The town was once pretty isolated. I remeber it was so quiet without the hiway. That is the biggest memory, a quiet little town where kids could walk anywhere (still can) and everyone knows everyone.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 11:18 AM   #30
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

Very Interesting Tim ,so much to comment about ,, I did not know that Massey had a pardner named Harris ,,only Ferguson ...

My dad had a Mall chain saw ,,think it was red and it was about 40lbs {{{Heavy}}} afer all day using it ,I used to get off the school bus when in high school close to where he was logging ,,change clothes in his truck and then help him by carrying the saw for him to fall and buck up logs . that's how I know the Mall is heavier than a McCulloch he bought next at that time .

Liked to been with you doing this drive and look at stuff as you did ,, thx for sharing
Old 09-18-2017, 10:19 PM   #31
special-K
Special Order

Funny you should mention that, Larry. Thinking about Dale saying he's never been back east made me want to come back here to offer him or anyone interested to take a tour or tours. So much to see and experience. It ain't all bad . Every area has it's things of interest and I'd love to share what I can. You listening Dale?

I grew up with McCullochs and Partners. Saws just kept on getting lighter. I remember the Mall I was so fortunate to handle being red, too.

Speaking of logging, here's an old picture of some loggers from Friendsville. Ths is what my grandpa did , he drove the horses
Attached Images

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 09-18-2017 at 10:27 PM.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:46 PM   #32
Ol Blue K20

I'm listening and interested. It sounds like fun. Now to find some time....

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 09-19-2017, 06:22 AM   #33
special-K
Special Order

Standing offer. Definitely a different experience from the west. Since I've been stuck back here after living out there and feeling I prefer the west, I have grown to appreciate the difference. The land and history are what I care for no matter where I go. Fun and exciting things are also up there. But as far as heavily populated areas go, I don't care where it is, not too big on that... at least for living there or even too close to it. There is good to be had in cities, too, just don't seem as drawn to it.

The Eastern Mountains have their own natural beauty. I just wish she'd turn around so we could see her face!
Attached Images

Tim

Old 09-19-2017, 09:01 AM   #34
Ol Blue K20

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Standing offer. Definitely a different experience from the west. Since I've been stuck back here after living out there and feeling I prefer the west, I have grown to appreciate the difference. The land and history are what I care for no matter where I go. Fun and exciting things are also up there. But as far as heavily populated areas go, I don't care where it is, not too big on that... at least for living there or even too close to it. There is good to be had in cities, too, just don't seem as drawn to it.

The Eastern Mountains have their own natural beauty. I just wish she'd turn around so we could see her face!
Thanks Tim, same offer stands here too. If you're ever wanting to visit out here.

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 09-19-2017, 09:09 PM   #35
special-K
Special Order

Look for me in a few days . Thanks for the offer. I just may do that one day.

Tim

Old 09-20-2017, 08:14 AM   #36
richard2717
Equal opportunity joke ofender

Man Tim I have been wanting to get over that way with the Road King and travel the back roads just seems like life is always in the way, even more now that I am pretty much the only hands on deck. It was a little easier to slip away when I had all the paid help but man the headaches are all but gone with none. It is amazing the difference a couple hours drive makes. Flat lands here and the beauty of the hills there. Love the pics and the history. One of these days I will get back over. I like the saw pics as well. My dad is now in his mid 80's and he gave me my grandfathers old saw recently. Not as nice as ones pictured but it has family value to me so I will get it cleaned up and put on shelf to pass down.
It is an old Poulan S33 that from what I can find was only made a couple years.

Richard

Attached Images

Dually Jams, OlBlue60, ScottH, Tommyboy24, Dujobo, Warbucket, 2003 Silverado, Notsolo, my90k5, 6t727t2, Special-K ,Jack_71C10, tabarcus,72blazer_mud_bogger,pwdcougar,RSavage,EricSean,1Rippen6,invicta455,tennaragtop71,arks, Kendal,Bennett68C10, Perpendicular, Chainsawman, McGeesCustomMinis,ShortbedClayton,longblue72,6768chevylover,Tim71,Travisarmenta,Ol' Drippy,fleetmitch,georgieb51,Dave,bcnya2,Dadsburb
https://paypal.me/6772GMtruckparts
Most women like the strong, silent type… Fortunately for me, my wife prefers the out-of-shape, mouthy type.
richard2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 09:30 AM   #37
special-K
Special Order

C'mon over when you can and I'll give a tour. I want to put a sign across the road "<Bad-Good>". Left it into town (an alright drive), I-70, and DC or Balto. Right just gets better and better (unless I head East once up to MD26/Liberty Rd). A few miles up to 26 and you can see Catoctin Mt to the west. Straight across runs through old rolling hill farm land. There are so many roads to explore up down and around the hills and rivers/creeks. Old stone arch bridges, barns, houses, and mills. People out on their porches that wave when you pass. My sandblaster is a great 20 minute ride. He is literally out in the middle of nowhere (well it's somewhere, but sparse). His dad started it to service the Lehigh Cement plant in Union Bridge. You can imagine you are in whatever year you want many places I go, and I haven't been on all the roads. Roads are named for the town they go to, a mill, a church or a farmer. Elmer Derr Rd, McKinstry Mill Road, Keymar Rd, Stone Quarry Rd, Stone Chapel Rd, Sam's Creek, Rd, etc. (same down there)

Your Eastern Shore has even earlier history. It's flat but still a great feeling once off of US50. I haven't ventured nearly enough down there. I did work on houses in St. Michaels and Tilgman Is in the '90s. Not so far down as your way, but we stayed in Easton and did checked hings out in the evening and if it rained. Lots of good people down there. My buddy who worked with me had a cousin who married a Harrison, an old waterman family. So that made it better for us knowing the locals. It's all about the water down there and we got out on it, hunting, too.

I'm a solo act now, too. Well, since '05 actually. Same here, tired of paying people to hold me back and barely make me what they got paid, and I was still working my butt off along with them. Get a check and don't dare spend any to be sure they get their checks on Friday. Then work weekends to get something done and make myself some money. Go over a month without a check while laying out to produce the job, while they don't show the day you needed them most. Don't finish because they didn't show, then the come the next day when there's only a couple hours work left and expect a full day pay. I paid good money per day, not hourly. I started docking $10 a day for no show and for asking for pay before Friday (because they never had a full check). Work Mon & Tues, miss Wed, ask for check Thurs, that cost them $80 on Friday. Rare to miss payday.

This weekend I'll take a ride out near Winchester, VA to the ATHS Tri-State truck show. Hoping to hook up with my sister down by Luray Friday
Attached Images

Tim

Last edited by special-K; 09-20-2017 at 09:41 AM.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:49 AM   #38
Advanced Design

Great pictures and a fun trip. Go kart I had as a kid was powered by a Mall chain saw engine. As I recall it wasn't very fast....probably a good thing!
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 01:33 PM   #39
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advanced Design View Post
Great pictures and a fun trip. Go kart I had as a kid was powered by a Mall chain saw engine. As I recall it wasn't very fast....probably a good thing!
If I remember correctly when my dad changed over from a mall to a Mccullough chainsaw he said the new saw had more power and then after he decided that the Mccullough chainsaw rattled apart a lot he changed to a Homelite ..
Old 09-20-2017, 11:29 PM   #40
special-K
Special Order

Oh yeah, go karts. I ran a McCulloch when I was a kid. Other kids were getting carts and my folks couldn't afford one for me. My dad was a well liked HS teacher. One of his students raced class-A and when he graduated and left for college he gave it to my dad for me. That thing was crazy fast against those Briggs & Strattons. There was a housing development across the road from the farm where these kids lived. I'll never forget the first time I rode it over there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kg_6ffiMYhc

Tim

Last edited by special-K; 09-20-2017 at 11:41 PM.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:35 AM   #41
72supr

Nice pictures of the old farm machinery.I never knew Cockshutt made a combine.They were a Canadian Company that sold tractors through the Farmers Union Oil Co-op here in the states.In Canada they were sold as Cockshutt tractors and here they were repainted orange and sold as a Co-op since they were sold through the local cooperative.The Deering diesel you had a picture of its older brother was the first diesel tractor mass produced for ag use.Its model # was WD-40. The wooden threshing machine has stood the test of time and quite a relic.My Dad drove a bundle rack for a threshing crew for a dollar a day plus three sguare.Really nice pictures thanks a lot for your time
72supr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 09:19 AM   #42
special-K
Special Order

Thanks for sharing your knowledge. I never knew of any Cockshut equipment/machinery other than the tractors either. This AG stuff at these shows is so precious and a vital part of our heritage. Yet far from the limelight. I hope it stays there for those who truly appreciate it. I'd hate to see this stuff "discovered" by "the money" and taken from the hands of the good soulful folk who have preserved these gems out of love. Like what is happening with old trucks. This isn't a museum, not funded, they aren't millionaires, and there's no prize money given. These folks put out a lot of effort just to share with the public. The same is true with the antique truck show I'm going to. It takes a lot off effort to run those old trucks out to these shows just so they can be seen and shared.

Tim

Old 09-21-2017, 04:10 PM   #43
el_fantasma

Cool trip, thanks for sharing it with us
Old 09-21-2017, 08:51 PM   #44
special-K
Special Order

That was a great day. I wish I could do such a drive more often...and for weeks or months!! I'm heading out in the morning in my '72 down to my sister's in the Shenandoah Valley between Front Royal and Luray (couple hours from here). I think we're going to meet up on the other side of the river and Massanutten Mt in Strasburg on US11. Her town, Rileyville, is along US340. I mention these towns (VA) and roads in case anyone is interested to look them up...map, wiki, google, whatever. I'll spend the night and head up to that truck show, then home... I guess. I'll be away from my laptop till I get back, but I'll take pictures. Too bad the river is running shallow or we'd paddle kayaks. I hope they get more rains to bring it up before it gets too cold for a leisurely paddle.

Tim

Old 09-22-2017, 08:57 AM   #45
Ol Blue K20

I'm looking forward to seeing the pics..

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 09-26-2017, 06:55 AM   #46
special-K
Special Order

Well, I headed out Friday for My sister's in Rileyville, VA in the Shenandoah Valley... the nicest part of it all. US11 & I-81 run up the great valley, which is between the Blue Ridges (East) and the Allegheny/Appalachians (West) and that's the North Fork of the river. The South Fork runs up against Massanutten Mt. which sits in the great valley. So Page County has it's own special more picturesque valley and the best length of canoe river. US340 runs down through it.

So, I hop on US340 up the road a piece at it's northern terminus in Frederick and run on down a while. Get on 340 and head for Catoctin Mt, the first hill west you can see from Mt. Airy. It's not much more than a big hill where 340 crosses. It's the first of two ridges that are the top end of the Blue Ridge range.
Out
Name:  IMG_2222.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  21.7 KB
Leesburg US15/Harpers Ferry split
Name:  IMG_2223.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  27.6 KB
Up
Name:  IMG_2224.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  34.8 KB
Over
Name:  IMG_2225.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  23.6 KB

Across Catoctin into the Middletown Valley looking at South Mt and the gap at Harpers Ferry (Potomac River). Hazy mornings, in the fall
Name:  IMG_2226.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  20.7 KB

Tim

Old 09-26-2017, 07:13 AM   #47
special-K
Special Order

Squeeze between South Mt. and the Potomac along the C&O Canal and down to the Potomac River Bridge.

Sandy Hook along the RR tracks and C&O canal on Maryland side
Name:  IMG_2227.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  39.4 KB

Looking up the river to Harpers Ferry. The town is built on the point created at the confluence of the Shenandoah R. and Potomac R. The Shenandoah flows north to this point.
Name:  IMG_2228.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  26.8 KB

US340 runs into the US522 roadbed at Double Toll Gate. Great big flea market is just to the right but I'm headed left. Had to put the peddle to the metal to get past Dinosaurland. The great white looked so real I was afraid it would get me.
Name:  IMG_2229.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  51.5 KB

Rolly polly roadway on down towards the "royal front". Signs for Skyline and Luray Caverns along with Shenandoah Nat Pk all along the road. Skyline Drive's northern end is at Front Royal.
Name:  IMG_2233.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  30.9 KB
Name:  IMG_2234.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  25.4 KB

Tim

Last edited by special-K; 11-10-2019 at 11:20 AM.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:21 AM   #48
special-K
Special Order

Batteries died on me about now. I met my sister in Front Royal and we went on down VA55 on the west side of the North Fork to Strasburg. There's a good restaurant we've been wanting to get back to and an antique mall. Great food, then off to look at neat old stuff. Well, we went all through what we thought was the antiques but was more of an indoor flea market. I was thinking "it was so much nicer 15-20 years ago. Hmmm... all the good stuff must be bought up". It's a big long building. We come out, walk down along the covered porch to look at stuff along there and there is another doorway. It's the good stuff! Man, we didn't have enough time to get through it. I bought two things. First thing I bought in the flea market, a cooper sombrero ash tray for a few bucks. In the antique place I found the first record album I ever bought. "The Rolling Stones Now", a mono recording from '64. I still have mine but the cover is completely separated into two pieces with the record between, no sleeve. This thing is almost mint and was just a buck!
Attached Images

Tim

Last edited by special-K; 11-10-2019 at 11:23 AM.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:31 AM   #49
special-K
Special Order

Got more batteries, back to the truck, and down to her place up on the mountain. A nice star lit night, couple beers, and hit the hay. Plan was get up and out early to head up the Winchester (a bit above there in Clearbrook) for the ATHS Tri-State show. Holly, my sis, got up and made me a breakfast. She's too good to me. I was planning on diner food but her wholesome healthy breakfast would have to do! Out to the truck and back for some things while breakfast was cooking.

Name:  IMG_2237.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  35.0 KB
Name:  IMG_2238.jpg
Size:  24.0 KB

Then out on the back deck sipping coffee
Name:  IMG_2239.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  13.3 KB
Name:  IMG_2240.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  15.5 KB

Tim

Old 09-26-2017, 08:46 AM   #50
special-K
Special Order

That's Massanutten out there. Sure looks like a lot of sumthen to me! There is actually a small valley hidden within Massanutten called Fort Valley. Union soldiers never figured it out and it was a great place for Confederates to lay low. That's the river hidng below that morning mist. The river zig-zags like a ribbon through this area, although the cloud lays straight across the bends.Morning light brings on more definition on the mountain.
Name:  IMG_2241.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  29.2 KB
Name:  IMG_2242.jpg
Size:  31.4 KB

You didn't think you were going to get away with no pictures of my old battle wagon did you? Holly insisted on me leaving the truck down at Randy Bailey's old place. The hill up is steep and rough. I tried saying we are talking about one tough 4wd truck in great mechanical condition here, but not worth arguing over. We went up in her beat and rusted '95 Toyota PU that she locks the hubs in and uses 4wd every time in. I go up in 2wd

Next morning
Name:  IMG_2243.jpg
Size:  65.6 KB
Name:  IMG_2244.jpg
Size:  52.1 KB

Tim

Last edited by special-K; 11-10-2019 at 11:28 AM.