The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-21-2018, 07:38 PM   #1
mike88a

Rear brake drags

So after rebuilding my rear brakes which I have checked and double checked the assembly and it’s correct. They adjust out after about 5 miles and start to drag big time. The only thing I changed was me e-brake was disconnected and now it’s connected. Could the e-brake cause this?
mike88a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 08:00 PM   #2
Keystone_Hate

Re: Rear brake drags

Don't wanna be a smarta$$ but did you adjust the ebrake cable?
Keystone_Hate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 08:55 PM   #3
jradford

may be a bad proportioning valve or master cylinder. Does it drag all the time or only after you hit the brakes?
jradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 10:20 PM   #4
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike88a View Post
So after rebuilding my rear brakes which I have checked and double checked the assembly and it’s correct. They adjust out after about 5 miles and start to drag big time. The only thing I changed was me e-brake was disconnected and now it’s connected. Could the e-brake cause this?

Did you replace the rubber hose at the rear axle? It can deteriorate on the inside and cause the problem you are having. It won't allow the fluid to return to the master cylinder and basically locks the brakes up after they are used a few times......

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 10:45 PM   #5
mike88a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keystone_Hate View Post
Don't wanna be a smarta$$ but did you adjust the ebrake cable?
It's adjusted loose.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:09 PM   #6
mike88a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jradford View Post
may be a bad proportioning valve or master cylinder. Does it drag all the time or only after you hit the brakes?

Once I adjust them back to normal. Within 5 to 10 mile the rears start to drag. Everything was fine prior to the brake job.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:38 PM   #7
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

This doesn't make sense to me. When you worked on the brakes, did you do one side at a time, or just pull them all apart and then reassemble the clean parts? It is possible that the adjusters for the brakes got switched from one side to the other. But just driving forward will not cause this problem.

I've seen where people have adjusted the brakes tightly enough that when they are hot, and they back up a few times, the adjusters will take up more slack than normal because of the expanded drums. This will cause trouble later. It might be what you have experienced.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 05:24 AM   #8
panhead59

Lock doc - which rubber hose ? Just curious.
panhead59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 09:28 AM   #9
Keystone_Hate

Quote:
It's adjusted loose.
Ok. Did you replace the jacketed section of the ebrake cable that actually goes into the backing plate? Mine were all full of crap and no matter how loose i got the cable, it was hanging up in the cable jacket and making them drag a bit.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:35 AM   #10
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhead59 View Post
Lock doc - which rubber hose ? Just curious.

The single rubber hose that connects the main rear metal brake line to the junction block on the rear end housing. Usually about 18" long.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 10:12 AM   #11
mike88a

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
Did you replace the rubber hose at the rear axle? It can deteriorate on the inside and cause the problem you are having. It won't allow the fluid to return to the master cylinder and basically locks the brakes up after they are used a few times......

LockDoc
I did not replace the rubber hose but I can try that. What is crazy is that the adjuster is way out every time I open them back up.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:13 AM   #12
mike88a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jradford View Post
After a few miles it’s all the time
Old 03-22-2018, 10:15 AM   #13
mike88a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
This doesn't make sense to me. When you worked on the brakes, did you do one side at a time, or just pull them all apart and then reassemble the clean parts? It is possible that the adjusters for the brakes got switched from one side to the other. But just driving forward will not cause this problem.

I've seen where people have adjusted the brakes tightly enough that when they are hot, and they back up a few times, the adjusters will take up more slack than normal because of the expanded drums. This will cause trouble later. It might be what you have experienced.
I did them one side at a time. I know it makes no sense to me either.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:55 AM   #14
CaptRMW
Custom Sport W/T

Location: Tarpon Springs,Fl & Annapolis,Md. ....................Quaint drinking villages with a fishing problem

Your brakes were designed to only adjust in reverse since you are backing slow compared to adjusting when braking at 60 miles per hour. The problem you describe is likely adjusters and related parts reversed side to side. Pull a drum and take a picture and post it so we can see what is going on. This problem will not correct itself by repeatedly driving and backing off the adjuster.
CaptRMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 11:11 AM   #15
mike88a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keystone_Hate View Post
Ok. Did you replace the jacketed section of the ebrake cable that actually goes into the backing plate? Mine were all full of crap and no matter how loose i got the cable, it was hanging up in the cable jacket and making them drag a bit.
No I didn't replace the jacketed end. The e-brake was not connected when I got the truck. I connected the e-brake when I did the brake job. My next step was to go ahead and disconnect the e-brake again and see if that fixes it.
Old 03-22-2018, 11:19 AM   #16
mike88a

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRMW View Post
Your brakes were designed to only adjust in reverse since you are backing slow compared to adjusting when braking at 60 miles per hour. The problem you describe is likely adjusters and related parts reversed side to side. Pull a drum and take a picture and post it so we can see what is going on. This problem will not correct itself by repeatedly driving and backing off the adjuster.
I will try to get a pic and post it. I did one side at a time so I could not of switched the adjusters. I also took pictures before disassembly of how it was laid out and just reversed the process during assembly. I am open to any possibilities at this point.
Old 03-22-2018, 11:22 AM   #17
mike88a

Mid thread pause to say thank you to everyone throwing suggestions and questions out there. That's why I love this place!!!!
Old 03-22-2018, 03:04 PM   #18
Keystone_Hate

Quote:
No I didn't replace the jacketed end. The e-brake was not connected when I got the truck. I connected the e-brake when I did the brake job. My next step was to go ahead and disconnect the e-brake again and see if that fixes it.
That's a good idea. when ya get em disconnected check to see if the cables slide easy through the jackets.