The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-15-2014, 11:06 AM   #1
chris mc bride

Beefing up 1/2 ton panel

Finally getting around to doing something to the panel.Racecar has been time and MONEY consuming.

I need to beef the panel suspenion some for towing the race car. Will eventually be towing 28 to 32 foot enclosed trailer. For good while it will be open trailer.Going to build all aluminum trailer,less weight = less stress on truck and lot less gas. Still when finished it will not be that lite.

Wondering whats best way to beef the frame and suspenion for towing extra weight,Might as well do it first time out for what it might need to tow.In stock form I have seen the speedo on 110 with 28' camper behind it.

Motor wise the 454 has new 4.250 crank and pistons sitting here for it. Mild port cleanup and a new cam yet to decide on,Headers,true dual exhaust.Trans going turbo 400 and later on gearvendor unit will be added.Power wise I should be fine lots of torgue on tap.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:15 PM   #2
vectorit
What?

Re: Beefing up 1/2 ton panel

Frame wise, I think you are fine.
The challenge will be in the suspension, and making sure the brakes will stop you with the extra weight.

Leaf or coil springs?
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:34 PM   #3
chris mc bride

coil springs and as for brakes truck will have 4 wheel disc before hitting the road.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:39 PM   #4
vectorit
What?

This is where I would say upgrade it to 3/4 ton, so that you have the full float rear axle and the strength that comes with it. But I think you are set on 1/2 ton right?

If that is the case, then I would be looking at air bags and huge sway bars with poly bushings.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:41 PM   #5
jeffro308

I had air bags under my 87 suburban 2wd to level it out. They're made for load leveling and only cost a couple bills. You can use them like air shocks and won't have to bear the expense of on-board air.
jeffro308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:53 PM   #6
chris mc bride

I'll check into getting some.Bad part is I had cpl sets I got from performance parts house when they closed down.They set out for 5 or 10 years and probably where useless when they got trashed. Heck be better off with new ones.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:55 PM   #7
chris mc bride

Quote:
Originally Posted by vectorit View Post
This is where I would say upgrade it to 3/4 ton, so that you have the full float rear axle and the strength that comes with it. But I think you are set on 1/2 ton right?

If that is the case, then I would be looking at air bags and huge sway bars with poly bushings.
Well 1/2 ton is sitting here and was grandfathers.He bought it new.Sould it 8 years later for 3 times what he paid for it.Found it 10 years later and bought it back for 1/4 what he had sold it to the guy(idiot that let it get run down) for 1o uears earlier.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:08 PM   #8
LuckyScott

Air Bags help a lot. Brakes are an issue. Trust me, I have been there and done that. Although I never towed the enclosed trailer with my suburban. (I bought a diesel dually when I got an enclosed.)
I dont know what kind of racecar you tow, but think about where you race. I do drag racing and the tracks are always in the desert, so I needed to make the cooling system extra heavy duty. An electric fan can be very helpful in addition to your regular fan. Also, I go over the grapevine a lot so needed extra braking help.
Another thing to look at is tires. Make sure your tires are rated for the extra weight.
Trans cooler is also very important, and maybe a shift kit for the trans, if it is auto.
LuckyScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:23 PM   #9
chris mc bride

Most all tracks are with then 90 mile radius.About 7 tracks I think at last count and around 12 or so if go to 150 mile radius. Mostly flat hauls few little hills.Temps here are nowhere near desert and if its over 90* Im lot less likley to go out racing,heck 80 can be questionable.
Have dual electric fans sitting in corner for part of rebuild.

Car is FED weighs 1620 max with my 230lb butt in seat. Its the spare engine,trans,pistons,valvetrain,ingintion and most everything on car that might need replacement that weighs. For local races(under 100 miles) I will probably pull some stuff off.As said for long hauls I have the freightliner motorhome conversion. Its setup for dbl decker so my little deal will be no issue there.

Lucky Scott Hudson? wideopen231 on drr here.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:13 PM   #10
capev86

I don't know why everyone jumps on the rear disc bandwagon. the e-brake in the caliper design sucks and thats what most of those kits use. yes the 3\4 ton trucks have bigger drums, but the stock drum brakes should be fine on the rear with quality shoes. if you must have rear disc, find a setup with a mini-drum style brake. your money is better spent on good trailer brakes. they have disc brake kits for trailers these days. if you build a 32 footer, triple axles all with brakes is a good idea!

i would recommend the bigger brake booster from a 3\4 ton and definitely use the bigger master cylinder as well if you do go with rear disc. i put Hawk Severe Duty (carbon-ceramic) pads on the front of my 3\4 ton burb, along with braided brake hoses and synthetic dot4 fluid and the brakes are awesome.

also run the biggest sway bars you can get. look to the 73-87 gen dually and camper specials for a 1-1\4 front sway bar that will look original. CPP also has a big bar for front and rear, Hellwig makes a rear bar, etc.

as for the rear suspension....upgrade to 3\4 ton coils or if you can stand a stiff ride in the rear (which shouldn't be an issue in a panel truck) use the 3\4 ton HD springs (LMC carries both). as for gearing, i would recommend at least 3.73's, preferably 4.10's and a stout 700R4 for the steep first gear and overdrive.
capev86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:52 PM   #11
chris mc bride

So basically replace with 3/4 ton suspenion except rearend(unless I find one of those.

I will have trailer brakes when trialer is finished will be 3 axle.When built as flat bed open trailer it will have 2 axles and one has brakes. Already have them sitting here.

Not going to disc because its cool thing to do.I freaking hate drum brakes when its time to replace them.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:38 PM   #12
LuckyScott

"Lucky Scott Hudson? wideopen231 on drr here"

Yep, Just another old Drag Racer.
LuckyScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 09:18 AM   #13
chris mc bride

easy with the old crap I have 6 days left of being 47. Next Friday thru sunday I am in shop lock down.Parts either here or on the way.3 days of working on race car no interuptions.Cell phone in mason jar my Gibbs impersonation,but I have power tools and no boat.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:21 AM   #14
chris mc bride

Going to look into the brake booster,good idea. Will be using dot5 like everything I own has. While damage to paint is not same as with Harley or racecar I still like not having to worry about it.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:32 AM   #15
Bigdav160

Synthetic fluid in the axle, HD cooler for the trans, working trailer brakes, equalizing hitch and I would give it a go.

In the past I've towed some heavy loads with my Suburban and everyone is right, the brakes just don't have enough power. I'm thinking hydro-boost is a worthy upgrade.
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 02:09 PM   #16
killerpanel

and i have a 3/4 ton panel i am converting to 1/2 parts. i have no plan to use the rear axle. we usually take a trip to Fair play S C, but not until late feb.depending on which vehicle we take, i could run it down.
killerpanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:25 PM   #17
Average Joe

I definetly agree on stiffer rear springs and or helper air bags that fit inside the existing coils. Providing you have all trailer brakes working and adjusted you will be fine with your existing rear drums. I would suggest a quality weight distribution hitch and at least a grade 4 receiver for a trailer of that size. I would at the very least use a dual cam Reese. Even better would be a Hensley Arrow. With the Hensley you will have zero sway issues. Friction sway dampeners would be the absolute minimum in sway control. I would also get an 8 ply or greater tire. This means a 16" or larger rim as no one makes load rated tires for a 15" rim. The Gear Vendors OD would make a sweet upgrade behind an already killer power plant.

An Average Joe and His 'Burb:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=775843
Average Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:14 AM   #18
chris mc bride

Thanks guys,

Lots of good ideas.Looks like Im going to to need more money imagine that. Pretty sure a rich family got the wrong kid from hospital . Too high dollar taste to be born not rich.

A said I have seen this panle towing 28 or 30 foot camper and speedo on 110.I figure with some of the above upgrades and 42 more cubes I should have a great tow vehicle and when done it will be cool as he11. Ever think about that statement ? to my understanding its far from COOL.

Still got good amount of body work.When body is off chassis is when I plan to do most chassis upgrades. Just have to get parts sitting here so when I start I can roll.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:58 PM   #19
68panelman

"towing 28 or 30 foot camper and speedo on 110". You should turn yourself in to the Police now before you hurt somebody.
68panelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 02:28 PM   #20
chris mc bride

Kind of hard to turn my Grandfather in he pasted away 5 years ago. Besides speed does not hurt sudden stops do . As for cops I have enough lawyers to handle speeding tickets its not big deal.Been running tripple digits for years and never scuffed the paint from speed.Idiots in parking lots are another story.

I never said I was driving I said I had seen it do that. Not asking for advice on driving I got that covered.OP was about the suspenion. Imagine that a New Yorker telling someone about driving fast, I have been to new York and most are running flat out.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:36 PM   #21
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68panelman View Post
"towing 28 or 30 foot camper and speedo on 110". You should turn yourself in to the Police now before you hurt somebody.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mc bride View Post
Kind of hard to turn my Grandfather in he pasted away 5 years ago. Besides speed does not hurt sudden stops do . As for cops I have enough lawyers to handle speeding tickets its not big deal.Been running tripple digits for years and never scuffed the paint from speed.Idiots in parking lots are another story.

I never said I was driving I said I had seen it do that. Not asking for advice on driving I got that covered.OP was about the suspenion. Imagine that a New Yorker telling someone about driving fast, I have been to new York and most are running flat out.

OK guys, lets get back on track with the thread.

Thanks,
LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:12 PM   #22
68panelman

-
Edit: Comment does not add useful content to thread...

Last edited by LockDoc; 01-20-2014 at 08:44 PM. Reason: No useful content.
68panelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:16 PM   #23
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Too bad you aren't closer I took a pair of HD 3/4 T coils off of my Suburban last fall (it was an ambulance) and put 1/2 ton coils on it. You would be more than welcome to them but I'm sure they would cost an arm and a leg to ship...

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote