The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board > 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-22-2015, 12:58 PM   #1
chevypoint

We are calling it K5-Rex

First I will give you the back story of first K5. Bought this 71 K5 just over a year ago for my oldest sons first truck. He was 14 at the time. We found it on Craigslist about 2 hrs from home, looked it over, made the deal and loaded on the trailer. It has a running late 70s 350 with three on tree. It ran but the brakes were in terrible shape. Previous repairs had the rear brake guts removed, all that was left were the shoes and wheel cylinders. After finding the missing parts, we fixed the rear brakes, replaced the booster and master cylinder, new rotors and calipers for the front and were able to make it stop. Then we turned our attention to making it run better. We replaced the carb and intake with parts I had on the shelf. We drove it on occasion last winter, until March my son got his driving permit, then we had to take it everywhere we went. We were heading to a coffee and cars event in early spring when a valve stuck open. My son and I took the heads off and replaced the valve and seals. Put it all back together and have been enjoying it all summer. Now to present day. He wants to fix the rust and repaint it before he gets his licensed. Only 6 months, sure we can do it! I knew there were a few issues that needed attention but wasn't ready for what we have found. After digging through the layers of bondo, fiberglass and bed liner we got down to the bones of the Blazer only to find a mess of patches that had been placed overtop of the existing bed sides and floors. Some patches look pretty good while others used roofing tin, pop rivets and a half inch of fiberglass. So after our archeology dig through the previous repairs we have finally came up with the name for our project, K5-Rex.
Attached Images

47 Chevy Aerosedan, 403 Olds/350 turbo
69 Camaro, 307/powerglide
06 Silverado Z71
chevypoint is offline   Reply With Quote