The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-29-2018, 01:11 AM   #1451
evilokc

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_50 View Post
Went to the Fredericksburg Texas swap meet. Met a local guy who has parts on a truck he has at home I need and we made plans to meet up next time.

Lots of small towns in the area, stopped a antique store and scored this for 40 bucks. First I've seen that wasnt cracked or missing the wheel or gears. Set it up in my workroom inside. Inside all I have are hand tools.
im sorry but I don't know what this vintage tool is. explanation?
evilokc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 03:42 AM   #1452
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilokc View Post
Is there a way to lower where the radiator sits in the core support? seems like that would be a pretty simple way to make all of this work better.
Coincidentally I just investigated that today. I was able to determine that by cutting away the inside vertical lip of the core support it would be possible to lower the radiator about an inch (assuming stock radiator and support). I pondered doing it but decided it was a lot of work for minimal gain. Plus we are under fire restrictions here: no cutting, grinding or welding metal. Every day I'm working with towering columns of forest fire smoke and retardant bombers traversing the sky overhead.
Attached Images

Old 07-29-2018, 07:51 AM   #1453
idbeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilokc View Post
whats the overdrive ratio?
I had to copy it... hope you can read it...
Attached Images

idbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 08:02 AM   #1454
idbeast

I picked up the painted parts after the rubberized undercoating, painting and clear, was applied... nice to see some color on something!
Attached Images

idbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 09:06 AM   #1455
vintovka

[QUOTE=MiraclePieCo;8311097. Plus we are under fire restrictions here: no cutting, grinding or welding metal. Every day I'm working with towering columns of forest fire smoke and retardant bombers traversing the sky overhead.[/QUOTE]

Fire pic reminds me of why we left the ranch near El Dorado CA. Those who have never lived in a fire area do not know the fear --- stay safe.
vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 10:29 AM   #1456
mikebte

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo View Post
. Plus we are under fire restrictions here: no cutting, grinding or welding metal. Every day I'm working with towering columns of forest fire smoke and retardant bombers traversing the sky overhead.
That sucks! Had that happen to mea few years ago, had to evacuate. Can’t breather, no going outside, everything sucks with fires. Keeps safe
mikebte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 11:17 AM   #1457
vintovka

Where are you? We chose the soggy OR coast but still fire threats exist. Heavy fog right now- very nice. Still Under fire controls even here with no outside fire hazard stuff permitted. Pics of a restorers garage gutted by fire with all his cars/trucks/tools burnt beyond recognition sticks in mind. I know the old ranch will be gone someday just a matter of time.

FWIW using an LED bulbs (instead of incandescent) in trouble lights etc really prevents gasoline fires in engine compartments PLUS the damn things are near indestructible. (I've tried)

Last edited by vintovka; 07-29-2018 at 11:31 AM.
vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 11:52 AM   #1458
evilokc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo View Post
Coincidentally I just investigated that today. I was able to determine that by cutting away the inside vertical lip of the core support it would be possible to lower the radiator about an inch (assuming stock radiator and support). I pondered doing it but decided it was a lot of work for minimal gain. Plus we are under fire restrictions here: no cutting, grinding or welding metal. Every day I'm working with towering columns of forest fire smoke and retardant bombers traversing the sky overhead.
ooking at it I decided hacking up and modifying the shroud is a better option.
Old 07-29-2018, 07:41 PM   #1459
svr

Block sanding doors, tuneing up my painting skills on inner fenders and core support
Attached Images

Old 07-29-2018, 07:45 PM   #1460
svr

More
Attached Images

Old 07-29-2018, 07:46 PM   #1461
svr

Core
Attached Images

Old 07-29-2018, 08:00 PM   #1462
MARTINSR

Right on SVR!

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 10:42 PM   #1463
evilokc

anyone else waste a whole day? anyone? just me? decided to install my waterpump pulley and 18 inch fan. removed the radiator only to find that it was mounted incorrectly. I was able to get it mounted correctly which dropped in down about 2 inches. so that's good. then I went to install my new pulley. when I slid it into place the pulley made contact with the water pump body. I used a spacer but that pushed the fan to close to the radiator and the belts didn't line up. I think they sent me a pulley for a long water pump. I checked my order from speedway and it says I ordered a short pump pulley. so that was my day. im annoyed and no closer than I was yesterday.

edit- speedway motors isn't dumb or wrong. I am. I believed I had a short water pump. I thought I hadn't ever seen a long pump. I thought a long pump had a long snout. I looked it up and nope. I measured mine and its 7 inches. its long and im mistaken. im going to try to exchange it and move on with a little more knowledge about my truck.

Last edited by evilokc; 07-29-2018 at 11:14 PM.
Old 07-30-2018, 12:37 AM   #1464
MARTINSR

Bummer, sorry to hear it.
I did not waste my day, I worked my ever loving ars off all day long and got the inside of the cab ready for primer! It's coated in osphro metal treatment, it's ready for primer, WHOOO HOOOOO!

Brian

Old 07-30-2018, 12:43 AM   #1465
MARTINSR

It didn't end without a number of welds, it blows me away when I find something like this, glad I did! The mounting point for the steering column was broken. And when I went to weld it (torch) I saw that one area that didn't look cracked was, you see, you could see when it heated that there was a crack with the other side of the crack not heating red. So I welded it, just for fun I heated around the other hole and it had a crack that I hadn't seen too! Wild, glad I did that. Anyway, it's ready for primer prep, WHOOO HOOOO, WHOOOO HOOOOO!

Brian
Attached Images

Old 07-30-2018, 12:54 AM   #1466
mikebte

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
It didn't end without a number of welds, it blows me away when I find something like this, glad I did! The mounting point for the steering column was broken. And when I went to weld it (torch) I saw that one area that didn't look cracked was, you see, you could see when it heated that there was a crack with the other side of the crack not heating red. So I welded it, just for fun I heated around the other hole and it had a crack that I hadn't seen too! Wild, glad I did that. Anyway, it's ready for primer prep, WHOOO HOOOO, WHOOOO HOOOOO!

Brian
Congratulations on reaching this mile stone. It's what I imagine is one of many to come.
Old 07-30-2018, 01:05 AM   #1467
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebte View Post
Congratulations on reaching this mile stone. It's what I imagine is one of many to come.
I have to say, the fenders and bed are going to be like having an icecream cone compared to this cab!

Brian

Old 07-30-2018, 02:05 AM   #1468
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
I have to say, the fenders and bed are going to be like having an icecream cone compared to this cab!

Brian
Well you may not like it taking so long, but we're glad if it keeps you coming back here daily and entertaining us with your contributions.
Old 07-30-2018, 10:02 AM   #1469
MARTINSR

LOL, well you are in for a hell of a lot of entertainment!

Brian

Old 07-31-2018, 12:14 AM   #1470
MARTINSR

Got out there for probably literally 5 minutes, I am beat. But did some grinding on welds and cleaning of crap on the firewall.

Brian

Old 07-31-2018, 10:55 AM   #1471
mikebte

Quote:
Got out there for probably literally 5 minutes, I am beat. But did some grinding on welds and cleaning of crap on the firewall.

Brian
Doing better than me. I ordered some lights for the garage (Cause its hot when the suns out) and no power cords came with it. So I am waiting patiently for them so I can return to the garage.

Old 07-31-2018, 08:00 PM   #1472
OrrieG

Had a short visit from Ogre (Kirt) and his wife Terry today, they were traveling thru Boise. We got to spend a few minutes looking at the my truck and bench racing in general while Terry got a tour of the garden with Joan. Did not think to get a picture. Unfortunately for me he was not driving his great yellow truck. It was a compliment to me that it was obvious from comments he made he has spent a good amount of time looking at my build thread and other posts. Great guy, hope to maybe get up to his territory and see the truck in person. Did not even comment about how much of a mess the shop was from side tracking wood working projects!
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 11:03 PM   #1473
oldman3

That's great to get to meet other members...Jim
oldman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 02:11 AM   #1474
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
Had a short visit from Ogre (Kirt) and his wife Terry today, they were traveling thru Boise. We got to spend a few minutes looking at the my truck and bench racing in general while Terry got a tour of the garden with Joan. Did not think to get a picture. Unfortunately for me he was not driving his great yellow truck. It was a compliment to me that it was obvious from comments he made he has spent a good amount of time looking at my build thread and other posts. Great guy, hope to maybe get up to his territory and see the truck in person. Did not even comment about how much of a mess the shop was from side tracking wood working projects!
Cool, I will be in Boise in a year or so with my truck and I be driving it every day there.

Brian

Old 08-01-2018, 02:11 AM   #1475
MARTINSR

So today I just got out there to study the hood hinges, had them on my mind at work. Sooooo, the cab is sectioned under the hood hinge, bringing the hinge down closer to the top of the fender.

My plans have been to section the sides of the hood simply cutting off the bottom of the support in the hood off at the bottom bringing the hinge mounting points down, just as the they have been on the cowl.

The first photo shows a line below the lower bolt where the hinge mounts on the hood. That point is 2.5 inches up from the bottom, the amount the cab was sectioned.

The second photo shows how the cowl will need to be modified by cutting or recessing this area so the hinge can do down as far as it use to before it was lower down onto the top of the fender mounting.

I am thinking this would keep all the geometry the same as it was. Does this make sense to you guys?

Brian
Attached Images