The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-22-2013, 04:30 PM   #1
OneWheelPeel

1970 c10 SWB - Project "Toad"

Introducing my first C10 project. I'm gonna call her "Toad" in honor of the awesome faded medium olive paint shes wearing, and its my uncles nickname. We found this 1970 C10 sitting in a three sided barn.

After a few hours of tear-down and a quick bath to clear the 1/2 think layer of dust away...

Found a few small areas of rust, but nothing unexpected for a 40+ year old truck.

My plan was for a nice slow build, taking one step at a time and enjoying the truck as I went. The day I picked it up the PO lost the keys and the "running" engine wouldn't start. She also needs a set of tires badly. This build will move faster than I wanted, and I probably wont be driving until fall.

Current plans are to replace the inline 6 and 3 on the tree with a built 383 and a TKO 600 behind it. She'll also be getting 4 wheel disk brakes and the Hotchkis TVS suspension. Check back for updates.
OneWheelPeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:45 PM   #2
Gus350
68 C 10

Re: 1970 c10 SWB - Project "Toad"

Dude nice looking truck I'd slam it on the ground and drive it with the straight six....

Kevin

"Life is Hard But its Harder when your Stupid"
John Wayne
68 C10
70 C20
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?t=602326#
Gus350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:58 PM   #3
True 67

Welcome to the board and it looks like you have a really good truck to start out with..

True
True 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:01 PM   #4
Jon @ Hotchkis

Wow, the exterior sheet metal looks to be in great shape, nice find!

Looking forward to seeing the progress and if we can help answer any questions, feel free to ask away.
Jon @ Hotchkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:54 PM   #5
OneWheelPeel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus350 View Post
Dude nice looking truck I'd slam it on the ground and drive it with the straight six....
That was the plan at the start. I don't feel like throwing parts at the six now tho with a swap in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by True 67 View Post
Welcome to the board and it looks like you have a really good truck to start out with..

True
Thanks for the welcome. It's amazing what you can find sometimes in an old barn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon @ Hotchkis View Post
Wow, the exterior sheet metal looks to be in great shape, nice find!

Looking forward to seeing the progress and if we can help answer any questions, feel free to ask away.
Yeah, besides some abuse to the bed sides and a pretty used up tailgate the truck is perfectly straight with no previous body repairs. That's what draw me to it in the first place. Hard to believe it was used as a farm vehicle until the early 80's.

The suspension is pretty thrashed and the rear control arms are rusty and bent beyond repair. Good thing that's all going to the scrap yard anyway.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:59 PM   #6
OneWheelPeel

New / used engine arrived today.

383 stroker, Brodix 64cc heads, holley 750 carb... supposedly over 450 hp, we'll see about that.

Needs a new paint job, some polishing and some other dress-up parts. Couldn't argue with the price. Now I've just got to make my vision of this thing a reality...
Old 07-28-2013, 09:45 PM   #7
jc70chevy

Nice RX7
jc70chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:40 AM   #8
OneWheelPeel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc70chevy View Post
Nice RX7
Thanks. Thats the other project I never have time to work on.

I'm not sure which way I'm going with it now. It's working its way into a track only car.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:21 PM   #9
OneWheelPeel

Haven't had much time to work on Toad, but I did get her running. After putting in an ignition switch and lock/key and throwing in a fresh battery she fired up and ran like a champ on the first try. Now I'm a little disappointed that I gave up on the engine without even trying. Guess the 383 was too tempting...

I did spend a bit of time working on the engine. Got it painted, new valve covers, air cleaner and pulleys / mounts.

I've got a small interference with the #5 spark plug and the #1 header tube that seems like its going to need to be modified to work. The dipstick boss is also too big and interferes with the brand name cast into the head. I'll be sanding that off next. I'm also debating converting to power steering, with the tire size I'm planning to run I think manual steering will get old really fast.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:31 PM   #10
OneWheelPeel

Also picked up a parts truck. We found this one literally sitting in the middle of a lot filled with random other cars rusting and decaying. Had to save it. Its a '71 with a 250 and 3 OTT. Price was a steal.

The engine seems to be seized, but everything else is working. I bought it to salvage the 5-lug running gear and a few other items. The more I look at it though I don't want to just scrap it. Its pretty rough but I think it can be brought back.

What do you guys think, is it worth saving?

I might just sell it once I've got what I want. I wish I had more time for projects. It's hard convincing the boss that I need 3 project vehicles at once .
Old 09-03-2013, 09:06 PM   #11
bobbydigital

make it a secret project
bobbydigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 06:51 PM   #12
OneWheelPeel

It's been quite a while since my last update. Life doesn't always leave much time for hobbies, especially when work decides you need to head to the middle of the pacific for almost a year...

Finally got the truck home and up on stands...

Everything on the front end was a bit rustier than I had expected it to be. The front drums were pretty stuck even after adjusting the shoes all the way in. its amazing that this thing could actually stop still.

The engine even looks worse than I remember before I left. I guess things really start to go to hell if you don't touch them for a while.

A long day and a lot of PB blaster and luck and everything on the front end come off without too much complaint. I didn't even break any bolts or round off any nuts, which was a surprise to me. I did end up with a 5 gallon pail full of rust, crap and other debris.

One more weekend day and I managed to get most of the rest of the front torn down. The bumper is only held on by one bolt that just spins in a rusted out hole, I'll have to cut that one. Everything else is loose just waiting for a hand to pull the hood off.

Next weeks goal is to tear down the rear and get the rest of the front apart. I've got a stash of parts I'm dying to install but I want to clean and fully prep this frame before anything goes back on. I also found a few spots at the back of the cab that I'm going to have to fix. There was a repair at some point to replace both cab corners, rockers, and the rear floor brace. A LOT of corners were cut and its pretty clear I'll have to do all of that over now. More on that in a later update.

For now it's just good to be back and getting my hands dirty again.
Old 11-22-2014, 05:45 PM   #13
OneWheelPeel

It's been a while since the last update, so this is going to move along a bit...

Tear down continues with removing the front sheet metal and engine / trans.

Removed the suspension crossmember.

Big step removing the bed, cab and front crossmember.

Put together a cab dolly and rolled her outside.

Continued tearing down the frame. I'm starting to get good at removing these rivets!

Old 11-22-2014, 05:53 PM   #14
OneWheelPeel

Found the rear bed mounts to be totally rusted away. Anyone know of a place to get a set? I could probably bend up something, but would like some options.

Also started wire wheeling the frame. Seems to be cleaning up nicely, just a little pitting but nothing major so far.

Moved the tear down to the rear next...

Installed the Porterbuilt bolt in C-notch.

And a shot of the completed install. Porterbuilt stuff is as awesome as advertised.

Old 11-22-2014, 06:01 PM   #15
OneWheelPeel

Finally started putting parts back on starting with the POL trans crossmember and ECE rear suspension crossmember.

Next was the ECE rear trailing arms, and the start of the rear portion of the Hotchkis TVS kit.

Ran into my first snag. The Hotchkis support bar bracket wanted to occupy the same space as the C-notch. A little trim allowed both to mount up together.

I used part of the C-notch I removed to fit the factory shock crossmember and made a little shim for the bracket and bolted it up.

Old 11-22-2014, 06:06 PM   #16
OneWheelPeel

Got the rest of the rear suspension mock-up installed. The rear end and wheels are only there until I can measure for the upgrades.

Finished off the day by fitting up my Boyds welding fuel tank. Tank still needs to be bolted in, just wanted to make sure it would fit inside the frame rails and not interfere with all the suspension parts.

Old 11-23-2014, 01:37 AM   #17
'68 Newtricks

coooool

just watching along
Old 11-23-2014, 11:29 AM   #18
slowcpe

Cool project. Going to tag along for the ride.
1967/71 Blue SWB C10..SOLD
1977 SWB K10..my grandpa's.....never should have sold
slowcpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:51 PM   #19
mooseknuckles

cool build!
mooseknuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 12:42 AM   #20
67ctener

That rear trac bar set up is awesome, looking good
90 k2500
91 s10
#chevyonly
67ctener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 11:50 AM   #21
Mr Chevorlet
Rusty Nuts

Looking Good

Larry
Mr Chevrolet
My Build, The Marathon Truck
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=604414
Mr Chevorlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 12:09 PM   #22
mcbassin
Still Learning

Very nice looking project. I'm going to follow along too.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 09:17 AM   #23
OneWheelPeel

Thanks for all the comments!

Feel free to follow along, I expect this project will be an interesting ride once the cab rust repair starts...
Old 12-14-2014, 09:26 AM   #24
OneWheelPeel

Now for the update.

Finally got my body mount and cross member kit in from Porterbuilt. Even though the old mounts were in good shape, at some point in the trucks life there must have been a cab alignment issue and someone cut a second set of holes in the mounts, making them an oval.

Solutions was, replace...

This let me start bolting up the front suspension parts. I started with the control arms and springs.

I planned to upgrade to later model 9/16 cross shaft u-bolts, and when I went to install them found someone had already modded the crossmember to fit bolts this size.

Both sides

Front sway bar
Old 12-14-2014, 09:35 AM   #25
OneWheelPeel

Next was the steering parts of the Hotchkis kit, new idler arm, pitman arm and tie rod ends. I also mounted up my CPP 500 power steering gear.

Everything went together really smooth.

Now that all the parts are on I tried to turn the steering linkage and really couldn't. It took a fair amount of force to move the spindle side to side by hand.
Disconnecting the tie rods I could easily move the steering box and center link from side to side just by turning the rag joint with 1 finger.

The spindles are what seems to be stiff. I have not greased them yet, but it seems like they are very tight.

Is that normal? I'm hoping that by greasing them they will free up a bit.