The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-10-2019, 01:28 PM   #1
71chevswb

72 C10 - BBC vs. LS - What would you do?

We had a 72 c20 BBC 402/400. I kept the motor and transmission, they have been sitting for 8 or so years now. Truck ran and drove fine before parting it out.

Fast forward to 2019. Getting ready to build a 72 c10 swb out of spare parts (not on the cheap, I don't cut many corners). It will be a shop truck/daily driver. I hope to be able to do 500-1000 mile road trips with it someday.

Budget isn't my biggest concern, about to graduate college and start a full time job. I have always wanted a reliable/powerful C10 LS daily driver.

I will be doing a frame off resto, starting with a bare frame and a complete body.

My question for you is, what would you do?

Take the 402 BBC and turbo 400 and use them? I have a rebuilt 3.08 posi that would work great behind it, I think. Keep the RPMs down at highway speeds. This option would get me on the road quicker, but I also am not sure if its enough power for my liking? I have just about everything I would need for this option it seems.

Or, find a junkyard 5.3/6.0 LS with 4l60e or 4l80e with less than 120k miles. This would be slightly more costly and probably take longer to build. I am new to fuel injection and modern powertrain but I have the desire to learn it. This path would most likely force me to rebuilt a different axle and put 3.73 gears in it.

Thoughts? Build the truck once (while it is in pieces) and be done? Or get the BBC in there and enjoy it sooner ?
71chevswb is offline   Reply With Quote