The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-16-2012, 01:27 AM   #1
**grumpy**

Rattle Can Kustom!..A 12 week build..Can we do it..

First, a disclaimer..
We cant compete with the majority of the awesome builds on here, and this is a excercise in "what can be accomplished in a short time with no money and done mostly by a 15 year old..".

Ive been off work for longer than I care to discuss, and will be having a fairly serious ankle surgery soon. So with my limited help and constant supervision, my 15 year old son has undertaken the bulk of this build.

We got this 64 short fleet on Feb. 12th.

The motor was all torn apart. And it hadnt moved from PO's garage in 4yrs.

The PO said his buddy tore the motor apart because it seemed weak, and didnt have much power, BUT sounded super good thru the headers and 3" dual exhaust...?!

I had 4 old chrome steelies, and a dude I know needed them, so I traded them to him for him putting the motor back together.
Hes younger and alot skinnier, so he climbed right in and knocked it out.

Heres my guess as to the "weak powerless motor" theory.

It wouldnt roll at all......
So after getting 2 of the 4 locked up wheels to turn freely, it rolls great..Hmm..
Then its a 86 305 SBC, and it has a horrible 2bbl carb with many many vacuum ports, places where electrical crap should be plugged in etc..
Along with the HEI that should have some sort of Dinosaur computer running it.

Well, wheels free...check
Rolls easy...check
Replace old castiron 2bbl intake and crap carb with old aluminum 2bbl intake and old rochester 2bbl carb....check
Replace crummy HEI that rotor was stiff to turn, with old 70s HEI...check

Set timing...fires right up and sounds good...WooHoo...

Still havnt driven it because has no brakes yet. But seems like it should be ok...crossing fingers...

So turned my son Brad loose on outside. We got bed off with help, hes been working on sanding and scuffing, and painting body.
Hes taped it off, removed grille, bumpers, etc

***We havnt really done any needed bodywork yet. The idea was to get it one color, and in daily driver status, then pick at body later.***

So he has been going at it at least 4 days a week, and this is where we are as of tonite.

I wont even have 35 dollars in paint or materials to this point......

I sold the ralley wheels to a board member here, and plan to use what you see, the 15x6 and 15x8 steelies, and 1957 chevy 150 poverty caps.

Cuz that's how I roll!

I have about half the needed stuff to bag it, if time, money allow it. It'll be lowered either way.

Im all about beat-up old grunge trucks, so this will get the "weathered" treatment, and some cool old lettering etc.

And as for the 12 week build, we're in week 5, so the plan is to be done and driving it by the local swapmeet in early May. So 7 weeks to go!

Stay tuned!
Attached Images