The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-08-2018, 03:58 PM   #1
panhead59

68 swb bleeding new brake problem

I searched the tread about brakes and learned that i have my new disc brake calipers on the wrong side. I didn't realize they would bolt up "wrong". My bleeders are facing down. . Don't know if it's related but I cannot get fluid to the rear, stock, drum brakes. I just installed the CPP power booster with MC, new rod,the whole kit. I have fluid to the front, even though they are on backwards, and they bleed good. But no fluid to the back. Any suggestions on where to go from here. After I flip the front calipers of course|!!|!||!
panhead59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 04:05 PM   #2
Mts67C10K20

Re: 68 swb bleeding new brake problem

Are you gravity bleeding or doing the two man pump the brake pedal
If gravity bleeding you may need to shift the proportioning valve
Mts67C10K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 04:10 PM   #3
panhead59

I am 2 man pumping it. I removed line going from MC to P. valve and I have fluid coming out. So I guess the next logical step would be to remove the line coming out of the P. valve and see if the fluid is getting through that valve. I've had the rear two bleeders cracked for a couple hrs. now, no juice.

Last edited by panhead59; 04-08-2018 at 04:17 PM.
Old 04-08-2018, 04:47 PM   #4
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhead59 View Post
I am 2 man pumping it. I removed line going from MC to P. valve and I have fluid coming out. So I guess the next logical step would be to remove the line coming out of the P. valve and see if the fluid is getting through that valve. I've had the rear two bleeders cracked for a couple hrs. now, no juice.
I don't know if you replaced the flex hose between the rear metal brake line and the tee fitting on the rear end housing or not but if you get fluid through the combination valve that would be the next thing to check. The rubber lining tends to deteriorate and flake off, plugging the hose.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 04:47 PM   #5
panhead59

fluid is coming out of p.valve with line cracked open. Now what? Blow air through rear line to see if clogged? Right LOCDOC, that may be the blockage. Tks, I'll check it out.
Old 04-08-2018, 05:15 PM   #6
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
fluid is coming out of p.valve with line cracked open. Now what? Blow air through rear line to see if clogged? Right LOCDOC, that may be the blockage. Tks, I'll check it out.
Let us know how it goes....

LockDoc

-
Old 04-08-2018, 06:13 PM   #7
Robznob11

Go get a vacuum pump bleeder kit, cheap at harbor freight. Suck it to the back
,,,,,,,/__(⊙)___//___/__(O)_/

@disciple2.rc 💪instagram💪
LED TAILS
Robznob11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 07:31 PM   #8
panhead59

yep vacuum pump seems to be next move. I got the two rear brake lines off of tee and was attempting to replace rubber hose but...... the brake line that runs along the side of the frame to the rubber hose is not coming off. 1968 was a long time ago and I figure its been on there all that time. The next joint is all the way up frame and hard to get to with headers. I will give it a shot, got it sprayed with kroil but will try the pump before I ruin the line. It would be nice to replace that hose though. Shouldda replaced them all while motor etc. was out . Live and learn. Tks for the replies and I'll let ya'll know how it turns out. Will be next weekend.
Old 04-15-2018, 07:21 AM   #9
panhead59

OK I got a vacuum pump and tried it but still no juice to rear brakes. I flipped front calipers, so now that's done right. Bleeders at the top!||!|! I then blew air through rear brake line at the connection where I do have fluid and that's coming out of the p-valve. No air coming out back. So obviously there is a blockage. Locdoc you may be right on the rubber hose. It's old and needs to be replaced anyway. I'm doing a "almost" complete refurbishing on a 68 so no time to cut corners now. I was VERY careful not to kink the line while bending to hook up to my new booster/ master/ p-valve, but definitely something to look at very closely. Any bets ? Kink in line or rubber hose ? I'll replace it all and let ya
'll know next weekend|!!|!||!
Old 04-15-2018, 08:45 AM   #10
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
OK I got a vacuum pump and tried it but still no juice to rear brakes. I flipped front calipers, so now that's done right. Bleeders at the top!||!|! I then blew air through rear brake line at the connection where I do have fluid and that's coming out of the p-valve. No air coming out back. So obviously there is a blockage. Locdoc you may be right on the rubber hose. It's old and needs to be replaced anyway. I'm doing a "almost" complete refurbishing on a 68 so no time to cut corners now. I was VERY careful not to kink the line while bending to hook up to my new booster/ master/ p-valve, but definitely something to look at very closely. Any bets ? Kink in line or rubber hose ? I'll replace it all and let ya
'll know next weekend|!!|!||!

The lines can sure be a problem to get apart sometimes. I have heated the fittings with one of the small butane torches and had some luck getting them apart, but most of the time the line wants to twist.

LockDoc

-
Old 04-15-2018, 09:50 AM   #11
panhead59

LocDoc you were right on the hose being clogged. Couldn't get fitting off even after soaking in kroil for a week and using line wrench. i had/have fluid back there to hose but not through it. I just cut steel line before rubber hose and had fluid. Now I will just replace steel line along frame and rubber hose Next fitting in line up by headers broke loose. . Can't blow through rubber hose. I wouldda never thought a hose that diamater could clog. Thanks for all the help and suggestions |!|!!||!!||!|!
Old 04-15-2018, 10:15 AM   #12
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
LocDoc you were right on the hose being clogged. Couldn't get fitting off even after soaking in kroil for a week and using line wrench. i had/have fluid back there to hose but not through it. I just cut steel line before rubber hose and had fluid. Now I will just replace steel line along frame and rubber hose Next fitting in line up by headers broke loose. . Can't blow through rubber hose. I wouldda never thought a hose that diamater could clog. Thanks for all the help and suggestions |!|!!||!!||!|!

No problem. Glad you got it tracked down.

LockDoc

-