The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-09-2017, 04:03 PM   #1
brianf

truck not running

sometimes the truck will run 10 miles before it quits sometimes 100 ft. when it quits leave it sit for a few minutes start back up. i have rebuilt the carb 2 new fuel pumps, new fuel line, new coil, points, condensor. seems when going up hill or under a load seems to act up worse.acts like running out of gas changed all fuel line except fuel sender,
brianf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 05:02 PM   #2
The Rocknrod

Re: truck not running

I have heard of having objects in the gas tank get sucked against the suction tube and stop fuel flow. When they stopped and sat a while the object falls back down and the truck acts like nothings wrong, until it does it again. Just a thought.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 06:04 PM   #3
geezer#99

Typical running conditions when you have no heat soak and heat in the intake plenum.
The fuel puddles and your motor leans out enough to quit.
Sitting for a few minutes heats the intake plenum enough to keep the fuel a vapor and runs good again.
Normally happens near or below 45 degrees.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 06:08 PM   #4
Mack B

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianf View Post
sometimes the truck will run 10 miles before it quits sometimes 100 ft. when it quits leave it sit for a few minutes start back up. i have rebuilt the carb 2 new fuel pumps, new fuel line, new coil, points, condensor. seems when going up hill or under a load seems to act up worse.acts like running out of gas changed all fuel line except fuel sender,
Any chance this is vapor lock?
Mack B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 09:58 PM   #5
Cris

Intermittent problems are a PITA.

Here's my suggestion:

I'd pull the sender and take a look. Its easy to do, takes only a few minutes, and will allow you to cross that off your list.

Next, you have to find out if its fuel or spark that is causing the engine to not start. Take it for a drive and when it stops running, do a quick test for gas. Looking down the carb, press the accelerator and see if gas squirts from the accelerator pump. If it doesn't, start digging into the fuel system. Pull the fuel line to the carb and see if gas pumps out (use a cup) when the truck is cranking. Move down the fuel line until you find the issue.

If you have gas, now check the ignition. Take a spark tester.....something like

https://www.amazon.com/Thexton-THE40...e+spark+tester

And see if you have spark.

If you have gas and spark, and its still not running, the problem gets a little trickier. Let us know what motor, carb, ignition, etc you are running.
Cris is offline   Reply With Quote