The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-29-2019, 10:26 AM   #1
Andy4639
Old member

Question How to...

What is used to put the windows back together on the tracks for the driver & passenger side windows? I need to get the parts together so I can have them ready for door assembly next week I hope.
What does one use to put the glass in the metal holder to assemble it?I have all the window rubber and felts.
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 10:45 AM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: How to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
What is used to put the windows back together on the tracks for the driver & passenger side windows? I need to get the parts together so I can have them ready for door assembly next week I hope.
What does one use to put the glass in the metal holder to assemble it?I have all the window rubber and felts.

It always used to be glass setting tape. It is a special tape that has cork and rubber with a cloth mesh bonded together. You can get it at glass shops. It comes in different thicknesses. Some people use a butyl rubber sealant but I tried that and it was hard to keep the glass centered and vertical. If a guy used a couple of small strips of the glass setting tape at the front and back edges to keep the glass centered it would probably work Ok.

Here is a video I found that shows the tape. There may be better ones but this is the first one I found.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uZao9rxCLA

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 11-29-2019 at 10:53 AM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 12:26 PM   #3
kaycee

I took mine down to a glass shop and they did it for $30 let them keep them for a few days and done,I didn't want to chance it being off or glass breaking =harder than you think
63 IMPALA 327
kaycee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 01:02 PM   #4
68bowtie

I got some of the glass setting tape (don't recall where), and did it myself. I set the glass upside down on some rubber pads and used a rubber mallet to gently tap them on, with good luck, just went slowly. The hardest part was figuring out the exact alignment so it slides back into the door.

Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh)
68bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 01:09 PM   #5
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68bowtie View Post
I got some of the glass setting tape (don't recall where), and did it myself. I set the glass upside down on some rubber pads and used a rubber mallet to gently tap them on, with good luck, just went slowly. The hardest part was figuring out the exact alignment so it slides back into the door.

I have some windows out if anyone needs measurements on the position of the channel.

LockDoc

-
Old 11-29-2019, 01:10 PM   #6
leddzepp

Truck and car shop sells three different thicknesses of the glass setting tape, that’s where I got mine. I don’t recall the thickness I used though

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 08:54 PM   #7
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: How to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
I have some windows out if anyone needs measurements on the position of the channel.

LockDoc
Thanks guy's, I had thought about using some sealer but figured I better ask first.
Can you get the measurements for me please sir. Just in case. I guess I'll call my buddy at the body shop and see what he suggest's.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Old 11-30-2019, 08:18 AM   #8
special-K
Special Order

I have a couple sets of side window/runners as well. I can measure those to see what variance, if any, is allowable

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 01:10 PM   #9
mrein3

As for how to assemble...

I did this operation on one side of my truck years ago. I bought the rubber tape from one of the many online suppliers - I forgot which one.

My dad, the retired after 40+ years at the St. Paul Ford Assembly plant was at my house. I showed him the pieces and asked if he knew how the pieces go together. He asked for a hunk of 2x4. He took the pieces off the concrete we were standing on into my lawn. He draped the rubber over the glass, placed the channel over the rubber, and whacked the track with the 2x4.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 03:27 PM   #10
Fbks_Cruiser

I just put glass back into the sash last weekend. I found this diagram in the assembly manual. Says the sash should 0.73 or about 3/4 inch forward from the back edge of the glass.

In my case the glass came out of the sash but the setting tape was still in the sash. I used some sealant as a “lube” and glued the glass back into the original tape on the sash. It was tight fit and required using a rubber mallet. So far so good.
Attached Images

Matt
Fbks_Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 10:19 PM   #11
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Just got back home and measured mine. Mine measure 5/8 inch from the edge of the glass on both ends.

LockDoc

-
Old 12-01-2019, 03:36 PM   #12
Andy4639
Old member

Wink Re: How to...

I ordered new regulators and so now I need to try and get the glass mounted I guess. Thanks Doc for the measurement. Dang I wished I thought to measure the one that was still together before i pulled it a part. The drivers side just came a part on it's own.

Fbks_Cruiser thanks for the picture. I'll have to pull mine out I guess.Use for reference.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 12-04-2019, 08:26 PM   #13
Andy4639
Old member

Question Re: How to...

Quote:
-
Just got back home and measured mine. Mine measure 5/8 inch from the edge of the glass on both ends.
LockDoc
So the channel it goes in is 5/8" from both ends of glass.

Everybody I talked to locally said either use 3M Auto Glass Urethane Windshield Adhesive are rubber paper that you order off the internet.
I figured a inner tube is just as good and it was free. I don't think it will need any kind of glue but I figured I ask the experts.
After I got it set in place with the straps I took the vise and made sure the channel was tight to the glass.
So what do you say.
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 12-04-2019, 09:30 PM   #14
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
So the channel it goes in is 5/8" from both ends of glass.

Everybody I talked to locally said either use 3M Auto Glass Urethane Windshield Adhesive are rubber paper that you order off the internet.
I figured a inner tube is just as good and it was free. I don't think it will need any kind of glue but I figured I ask the experts.
After I got it set in place with the straps I took the vise and made sure the channel was tight to the glass.
So what do you say.

Looks like that should work. The rubber paper he was referring to would be the glass setting tape we have been talking about. It doesn't really have any paper in it, it is cork and some kind of cloth or fiber mesh. After you trim the rubber down I think I would still run a small bead of the urethane along that edge inside and out.

LockDoc

-
Old 12-04-2019, 09:45 PM   #15
Andy4639
Old member

Lightbulb Re: How to...

Quote:
Looks like that should work. The rubber paper he was referring to would be the glass setting tape we have been talking about. It doesn't really have any paper in it, it is cork and some kind of cloth or fiber mesh. After you trim the rubber down I think I would still run a small bead of the urethane along that edge inside and out.

LockDoc
Yep it probably be a good idea to just to keep the water out of it I guess if nothing else.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club