The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Alternate Tinkerings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-31-2010, 11:10 AM   #1
68 Stepside
huh?

(This will sound odd). I need decorating ideas. Also remodeling/upgrading tips.

Hey all,

As some of you are probably aware, I purchased a home late last year. I moved in on 24 Sep 2009, and have not touched the decor at all. I bought the house from an eccentric gal who's in her mid 90s. Everything is white and gold, and every wall is papered, excepting the addition, which is paneled. Almost forgot to mention the wall-to-wall white carpet too. My house borders on mid-modern design, lots of glass, large windows. I'd like to go somewhat modern as I upgrade, which leads into my question.

Where should I start for decorating ideas? Ikea? Are there any decent sites out there that might be able to help get me started? There's a lot of house here and I guess I just don't know where to start .
I've been considering pulling the wallpaper off for starters, any tips and tricks on that?

Thanks for any links or other info.
Attached Images

Things we said today.

RIP El Jay
68 Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 11:43 AM   #2
nuke1

Re: (This will sound odd). I need decorating ideas. Also remodeling/upgrading tips.

that is a nice house you have there. I guess my tip would be to put some water in a spray bottle and wet the wall paper, then once wet, not soaked, scrape it off with a larger putty knife. That is how i have done it in the past ans seems to work good. Gotta love those houses that have not been touched in decades. Go from there and do not curse too much.
J.J.R.H. Design & Consulting

My 68`Rebuild "HAVOC": http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=316300
A 58' chev build thread: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=311238
1969 Camaro Pro Touring http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...61#post3513361
Swiss Cheese: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=384390
Adjustable Trailing Arm How-To: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=321100
1968 Ford Farm Truck: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post6555587
nuke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 11:50 AM   #3
Sillyoldman

Re: (This will sound odd). I need decorating ideas. Also remodeling/upgrading tips.

Nice looking place. If you are considering painting go buy software and see the colors on your house, on your computer. I used to have software that I messed with to figure out color combos. I have also gone the route of different iterior colors based on room themes. Be sure to mark what rooms you used the paint can in. I also would write the paint code on the back sides of closet doors. I got burnt out on multi colors pretty fast. I'm kind of a fan of white throughout the house now. As far as thw walpaper use a sponge and get it as damp as possible. Cool house.

'71 Custom Deluxe C-20 402.
'67 Buick Special 455.
'49 Plymouth Special Deluxe.
"I love that old car smell"

Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Sillyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 03:33 PM   #4
Frizzle Fry

check out the pottery barn catalogs or website for ideas. Say what you will about them, but they do have some good taste and ideas (and occasionally some not-so-good).

For the wallpaper, there's a steamer you can rent that makes the job a whole lot easier and faster.
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 07:03 PM   #5
cdowns

when i've gotten new houses one of the first things planned was a real lage door in back like french doors so i can roll in some disply projects into the living room// things i've had in this living room incleded a modet t phaeton body, model a 2door, simplex servicycle restored,a few antique quarter midgets balloon tire bikes ,at the present time i have the rolling resored frame for the 48chief and the harley heritage springer
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 07:45 PM   #6
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Watch HGTV, or DIY if you have it.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:46 PM   #7
butternut1972

I always tell my customers to go to home depot or lowes they have some pretty good books for ideas. And you can just stroll through looking at the displays in the stores to get the ideas flowing. Most importantly just do what you like, what ever fits your personality. If you plan on selling it try and keep things like color neautral.
butternut1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 02:55 PM   #8
chris71

i have come across different types of wallpaper, some require different techniques. steamer might be the fastest, i used a product called Diff, which reacts with the glue and loosens it up so you can scrap it off, pick up a few scrapers too, 3", 6", some wallpaper you can tear off the top layer by hand and fingernail, then the bottom layer is pretty easy with the Diff. watching the DIY or home decorating chanels was a good tip. i would pick up a landscaping book at HD or lowes and plant some bushes and flower beds, I would reccomend perenials and slow growing/ dwarf bushes as they are low maintenance.
'71 C10 long-bed fleetside
'83 long-haired brunette wife
chris71 is offline   Reply With Quote