The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Alternate Tinkerings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-06-2010, 09:06 PM   #1
Sillyoldman

Busy day

Started by setting up scaffolding and hanging a long awaited chandelier http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=385371 . Then I moved into the shop. I removed a 16' long plywood shelf which I inherited with the house. I'm replacing it with six steel units. I bought them from Nonhog. His employer went to a different parts storage system and sold these really cheap. Nonhog delivered them to my house and even hauled down to my garage. No small feat considering they had to come down a hill covering about 100' of driveway. They are a near perfect fit. I have just 2 1/4" on the side and 3" on top not covered by shelves. Now I have a big project ahead of me to get organized. The came with a few bins, but I think I'll get some more. I would like to dedicate a fair amount of space to nut & bolts. I'll post more as I progress.
Attached Images

'71 Custom Deluxe C-20 402.
'67 Buick Special 455.
'49 Plymouth Special Deluxe.
"I love that old car smell"

Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Sillyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 10:19 AM   #2
nuke1

Re: Busy day

that is some nice shelving that you got there from NONHOG. Awful nice of him!
J.J.R.H. Design & Consulting

My 68`Rebuild "HAVOC": http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=316300
A 58' chev build thread: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=311238
1969 Camaro Pro Touring http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...61#post3513361
Swiss Cheese: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=384390
Adjustable Trailing Arm How-To: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=321100
1968 Ford Farm Truck: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post6555587
nuke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 02:41 PM   #3
Sillyoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuke1 View Post
that is some nice shelving that you got there from NONHOG. Awful nice of him!
Best brother in law I have! Wait. He's the only brother in law I have. Hmmm

Some of my best ideas are pondered while falling to sleep. I came up with the idea of putting in four peg board inserts to handle some oddball tools. Pipe wrenches and stuff like framing squares levels ect. I'm going to anchor the shelves to the concrete wall with split anchors. Then I'll bolt each unit together.

'67 Buick Special 455.

Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:50 AM   #4
Sillyoldman

This morning I made some pegboard inserts for four of the six shelf units. I decided to paint them grey too. It feels good to start getting organized. It's still scary when I turn by back to the new shelves and see alol of the stuff I still need to relocate. I'm sure I'll need to move some thins around some as I go, but its coming along pretty well.
Attached Images

'67 Buick Special 455.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:52 AM   #5
Sillyoldman

more
Attached Images

'67 Buick Special 455.

Old 02-08-2010, 02:03 AM   #6
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Man, I'm jealous!!! I have nothing in my garage, everything's piled up on the floor. Those look perfect!
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:42 AM   #7
dieselarmy13
Phone's ringin Dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67chevyredneck View Post
man, i'm jealous!!! I have nothing in my garage, everything's piled up on the floor. Those look perfect!
x2!

2003 SILVERADO SS--THE NEW GIRL

1972 GMC--THE OLD GIRL
dieselarmy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:30 PM   #8
Sillyoldman

Well I put in seven hours today. I have most everything laid out the way I want it. I still have some items on wheels that need to be moved around as necessary. Shop vac, table saw, band saw & work cart. I still need to organize the overhead bins above my workbench. My shop area is basically 16' x 20' but pretty usable now. The rest is standard two car garage which needs a little organizing. That's not happening until tomorrow. Too tired!
The Chevy orange on the wall, storage drawers & garbage can is compliments of my daughters curiosity. At least she has good taste in color.
Attached Images

'67 Buick Special 455.

Old 02-14-2010, 12:41 AM   #9
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

OK, showoff

Looks great Don! You have a lot of cordless drills! I can barely keep track of the one I have, and the 2nd battery is always disappearing.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 01:21 AM   #10
NONHOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillyoldman View Post
Best brother in law I have! Wait. He's the only brother in law I have. Hmmm

Ditto ! I think ? pretty sure your my only(best) BIL also

Some of my best ideas are pondered while falling to sleep. I came up with the idea of putting in four peg board inserts to handle some oddball tools. Pipe wrenches and stuff like framing squares levels ect. I'm going to anchor the shelves to the concrete wall with split anchors. Then I'll bolt each unit together.
Did you bolt together the shelves ? That stopped me today. I set aside lots of hardware @ work I'll snag some for you too if it didn't get tossed.
Today saw some progress for me too.
Attached Images

Old 02-14-2010, 03:20 AM   #11
Sillyoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by NONHOG View Post
Did you bolt together the shelves ? That stopped me today. I set aside lots of hardware @ work I'll snag some for you too if it didn't get tossed.
Today saw some progress for me too.
I didn't know there was a wall back there. Is that one deep unit on the left? Where are the rest going? I ended up getting some machine screws to hold them together using the existing holes. Of course I would never turn down extra hardware.

67CR Don't ask why I have so many drills. I have no idea how or why. I bought a new one last weekend it came as part of a kit i'd been drooling over

'67 Buick Special 455.

Old 02-14-2010, 01:23 PM   #12
NONHOG

Quote:
I didn't know there was a wall back there. Is that one deep unit on the left? Where are the rest going?
Yep 24" deep and filling up fast, Volvo and Explorer extras.
Not sure, might tear down my old plywood shelf ?

6 lb. sledge came in handy yesterday on this.............
Attached Images

Old 02-14-2010, 01:52 PM   #13
Brad
Out of the carpool lane.

Those look like sweet shelves. I've been looking for something like this. Hmmmm, heading over to CL now....

1968 C-10 SWB, 5.7 Vortec/700R4/3.73 posi, Torch Red
1968 Camaro, 250/Powerglide, all original (No, I'm not gonna drop a 350 in it!...Jeez!)
2000 Honda VFR in the faster yellow!
2008 Husqvarna TE-610

1967 C-10 SWB 'Six Appeal'-Gone but not forgotten...

Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 08:41 PM   #14
Otsa580
I Love Rusty Chevys

Shelves look great. You have MAD organization skills! Now I want some.

Whenever I organize I usually end up get a new workbench or shelf and have to redo everything. I have a mess in the garage right now and its too cold for me to go out there.
Otsa580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:57 PM   #15
Stitch
Account Suspended

Quote:
I bought a new one last weekend it came as part of a kit i'd been drooling over
is that the kit that came in that Porter Cable bag on the shelf there...I saw the bag and knew you had that setup...I have the same one and it's awesome...well, don't know if it's exactly the same...I have the cordless drill, circular saw, sawzall, and light...if it's that one, know that the lightbulb in the light sucks big time...used it a couple of times and it just broke on me...I need to get a new bulb I guess, but I don't know where to get one...

Last edited by Stitch; 02-26-2010 at 11:58 PM.
Stitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 12:02 AM   #16
Sillyoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Those look like sweet shelves. I've been looking for something like this. Hmmmm, heading over to CL now....
Any luck?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otsa580 View Post
Shelves look great. You have MAD organization skills! Now I want some. I sure like them too. Just a lucky deal for me. I could have spent a ton of many and still not had as good of results.

Whenever I organize I usually end up get a new workbench or shelf and have to redo everything. I have a mess in the garage right now and its too cold for me to go out there.
I really would like a couple new benches. Two of mine are temporary make shift ones that I put together out of scrap four years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Hoe View Post
is that the kit that came in that Porter Cable bag on the shelf there...I saw the bag and knew you had that setup...I have the same one and it's awesome...well, don't know if it's exactly the same...I have the cordless drill, circular saw, sawzall, and light...if it's that one, know that the lightbulb in the light sucks big time...used it a couple of times and it just broke on me...I need to get a new bulb I guess, but I don't know where to get one...
Yep same kit as yours. I was skeptical about the price ($159.00). I have owned a few PC tools in the past. They have always been good quality. I can't wait to try that recip saw at the junk yard. I agree about the flashlight. I've had them in various brands and have never been impressed. It wasn't a factor in my purchase. I most likely wont use it much anyway.

'67 Buick Special 455.

Last edited by Sillyoldman; 02-28-2010 at 12:04 AM.
Old 02-28-2010, 12:40 PM   #17
Brad
Out of the carpool lane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Nope, no luck yet.

1968 C-10 SWB, 5.7 Vortec/700R4/3.73 posi, Torch Red
1968 Camaro, 250/Powerglide, all original (No, I'm not gonna drop a 350 in it!...Jeez!)
2000 Honda VFR in the faster yellow!
2008 Husqvarna TE-610

1967 C-10 SWB 'Six Appeal'-Gone but not forgotten...

Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:34 PM   #18
Stitch
Account Suspended

Quote:
Yep same kit as yours. I was skeptical about the price ($159.00). I have owned a few PC tools in the past. They have always been good quality. I can't wait to try that recip saw at the junk yard. I agree about the flashlight. I've had them in various brands and have never been impressed. It wasn't a factor in my purchase. I most likely wont use it much anyway.
I actually got mine on sale at Lowes for $110 so I jumped right on it...we've got a couple of acres out here in the middle of nowhere are there's only starlight out here at night so the flash light was great when it worked...it's very powerful actually but with 18V it should be...I'll have to find me another bulb...

btw, what are you planning on cutting up at the junk yard with the sawzall...around here I don't think they'll let you bring one of those in even if it's cordless...they don't want anything that may cause a spark...I might have to sneak one in...lol
Old 02-28-2010, 09:06 PM   #19
Sillyoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Hoe View Post
I actually got mine on sale at Lowes for $110 so I jumped right on it...we've got a couple of acres out here in the middle of nowhere are there's only starlight out here at night so the flash light was great when it worked...it's very powerful actually but with 18V it should be...I'll have to find me another bulb...

btw, what are you planning on cutting up at the junk yard with the sawzall...around here I don't think they'll let you bring one of those in even if it's cordless...they don't want anything that may cause a spark...I might have to sneak one in...lol
No solid plans yet. My buddy and I took his last time it was handy for getting removing & getting stuff out of the way. The yard we went to had no problem with it. $110.00 was a deal!

'67 Buick Special 455.

Old 02-28-2010, 09:32 PM   #20
Stitch
Account Suspended

Quote:
No solid plans yet. My buddy and I took his last time it was handy for getting removing & getting stuff out of the way. The yard we went to had no problem with it. $110.00 was a deal!
I'll have to ask next time I go to make sure...and yeah it was a deal...I HAD to jump all over that...they had a Porter Cable set with a cordless drill and flashlight for $99...how could I not pay $10 more and get the extra toys...I have used the sawzall in some of my house remodeling and to cut the exhaust right at the manifold, it was really tight...and both times it worked flawlessly...I heard stories of cordless saws having no life time, but I've also used the circular saw during the same time I was using the sawzall remodeling the house, and they cut many 2x4s and nails and screws all on the same battery...I didn't have to change the battery, but by the end of the day it was running low so I did, but I don't think I would have had to if I didn't have the other battery charged up...definitely a good set and a good buy...