The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-01-2014, 08:02 PM   #1
jdw

Radiator mount help please

Installing a 4 core OReilly Radiator and it's sitting about 3/4 inch high for the upper mounts to be able to bolt to the support. I can't see how it could go down any further. Frustrated.
jdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 08:19 PM   #2
Wizo

Re: Radiator mount help please

jdw; heres a idea. its up to you. I know the original rubber mounts are rather " thick" so maybe one or more layers of inner tube cut to to fit might do it. Sounds kinda cheezie or redneck but sometimes those ideas work best.Use enough layers to keep the radiator from rattling around. If it works let us know how it does. Good luck.
Wizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 08:22 PM   #3
vidman

I had to trim my lower mounts for my Be-Cool to sit low enough for the top mounts to work and to keep the shroud in the right place
Old 10-01-2014, 08:26 PM   #4
Lee H

Are you using 4 core cushions?

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 08:54 PM   #5
Jayschevy

To get my 4 core from autozone to sit right I had to change my lower cushions and retainer to the larger ones.
Jayschevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 09:44 PM   #6
jdw

Well, I ordered the 4 core retainers and cushions from LMC, but even if they were made right I guess that doesn't mean that's what I got. I'm replacing the radiator (O'Reilly), the mounts and fan shroud (LMC), the fan, and fan clutch all at the same time so it's getting hard to figure out what's off.
It fits right in with no cushions, but that's crummy. And yeah, I guess I can use bike tire tubes. I just didn't want to.
Here's some pictures
Attached Images

Old 10-01-2014, 09:46 PM   #7
jdw

Also, does this look right?
Attached Images

Old 10-01-2014, 09:54 PM   #8
davischevy

If you go ahead and bolt it down carefully, I think you will be surprised how it will "settle in". You may have to put some weight on the brackets as you go. The new rubber will compress.

BTW does you radiator have the heater hose fitting?

Larry

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 09:59 PM   #9
Wizo

try what vidman suggested; trim them down. I might suggest a belt sander. A little bit at a time. watch your knuckles though.
Wizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 09:59 PM   #10
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

That looks somewhat like mine did when I swapped. The rad didn't just fit down into the rubber, it had to be pressed in with the clamps. I was swaeting bullets but it worked out. I did make sure everything lined up right before I started cranking it down.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 10:04 PM   #11
Ironhorse

I may be looking at it wrong but in your last pic it would seem you are still using the original 2 & 3 core lower radiator mounts? Those need to be changed as the 4 core mount is longer to account for the extra core. My guess is the radiator is sitting on top of the lower cushion or mount and not saddled in as it needs to be. That being said, you will need to trim or notch the radiator support at the engine side where the lower mount sits for the four core seats. I used 4 upper mounts when I swapped in my 4 core to my '71 4x4. Used the two 4 core upper mounts as usual and then drilled the saddle portion off two upper mounts, used them as lower mounts and then made the notch to the radiator support as I mentioned above. It makes sense when you try to mate the 4 core mount in postion to the support. I used self tapping low head sheet metal screws to hold the saddle in place. Also may need to get the 4 core shroud clips that hold the shroud tight at the low end.

Hope that helps, long winded I know but that looks to me to be the problem. Good luck.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 10:11 PM   #12
jdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by davischevy View Post
BTW does you radiator have the heater hose fitting?
Larry
Negative Larry. Pretty solid unit, though. Otherwise I think I may have tried smashing the top down just a bit on both sides.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:25 PM   #13
jdw

Those are the old mounts that are in there, but they are the same size as the new 4 core I ordered so I left them in there. They seem to sit just fine with either set of rubber, just lower with the old. I'll check 'em out again outside the truck just to make sure. The upper, were obviously for the 2 core as they are quite a bit shorter. I'm guessing at some time in the last 40 or so years someone just found it easier (lazier) to leave the 4 core mounts in the bottom.
Thanks for all the replies, I'll try trimming and crushing next Monday when I get back to it.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:38 AM   #14
jaros44sr

Is this a '67-'68, if it is the lip on the core support, under the rad. has to be cut away, at least it did on mine, for clearance

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:52 AM   #15
Lee H

I agree with Larry and PanelDeland, that is normal and will tighten down just right, nice and snug.

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 07:44 AM   #16
Daman

I just did this yesterday. I had to cut the lower mounts towards the engine off and also the tops were cut flush with the rest of the mount. I left the pads alone and it fits nice. I'm working on the shroud today to see what I have to do to make it fit
Daman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 12:49 AM   #17
ryanv70c10

I am trying to mount my radiator as well. It's an original 2 core unit and the rubber cushions are gone. The lower clam shells are rusted out. I bought some prothane inserts that dont even come close to fitting. They actually sit lower than the shells when inserted so they would be pointless.

Anybody have any part numbers for the correct upper and lower inserts and or metal clam shells for a 2 core radiator?

Thanks!
ryanv70c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 12:54 AM   #18
toolboxchev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizo View Post
try what vidman suggested; trim them down. I might suggest a belt sander. A little bit at a time. watch your knuckles though.
Yeah they may need some trimming. I used some hot water and worked them into their fittings then placed the radiator into them.

It does take a little fudging around to get them to settle in.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 12:56 AM   #19
In The Ten Ring

I have the exact same problem. I have decided to make "spacers" out of PVC tubing and use longer bolts. I'll have to drill one hole in my (new to me) core support as one bracket won't line up.

If anyone puts in 4 row lower retainer brackets, don't forget to bend the lip down there down to make room for the bracket. I had to do this but I saw a pic on here where another member had done it. He suggested a cresent wrench, it worked great for me.

I dremeled out the rivets that hold on each retainer and replaced with a machine screw and lock nut. That way I can remove those 4 row retainers and go to a 3 row.

Originally my truck had a 2 row radiator that sat on the core support itself (no brackets at all) on just a thin strip of rubber. That was factory. Now I've tested it with 3 row lowers and my original radiator sits perfect for the upper brackets. Strange. I am not using my original radiator though but a 3 row aluminum job from KKS.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 01:00 AM   #20
Rufas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizo View Post
I used a bench grinder to trim mine down. Without grinding them had the same problem as the OP.
350 SBC 300hp
Weiand Supercharger
FiTech EFI
Rufas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 10:58 AM   #21
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Here is a post by member "67 cst swb" about radiators:

Quote:
To further clarify..

There are effectively 4 different radiators originally put in these 67-72 trucks, possibly more, but these are the main ones. there is 2, 3 or 4 row radiators (number of rows flowing from tank to tank)
There is one with a 26-3/8" wide core (measured from tank seam to tank seam) it is a 2 row radiator. This is typically a 6 cyl radiator

There are 3 with a 28-3/8" wide core (measured from tank seam to tank seam)

First is a 2 row. It is about 1-3/8" thick at the core. Typically a small V-8 non-AC radiator.

Second is a 3 row. It is about 2" thick at the core. Most common V-8 radiator or good upgrade for any non-AC small V-8 or 6 cyl.
All the radiators listed above have the 2-3/4" tank thickness (measured front to back), this is the portion that fits into the rubber saddle mount.

You can use any of the above mentioned "tanks" and have "re-cored" with the 28-3/8' by 2" replacement core. There used to be a 2-3/8" option for a replacement core. Not sure if its still out there.
The only variation of the above tanks is whether or not it has Automatic Transmission cooler/fittings in the passenger side tank.

Now... Lastly, there is the 4 row radiator.

It is the same 28-3/8" wide at the core, but it is 2-5/8" thick at the core.
It is also 3-1/2" thick tanks on it. If you upgrade to this radiator, you will need to change to the 4 row saddles and rubber mounts. People have put this radiator in the smaller (2 & 3 row) saddles, but this took some massaging and clearancing to work, as it is not intended for the smaller mounts.

All the above radiators are the same core height of 17" (16-7/8")
All the above radiators tank are the same height of 18-5/8" (difference being the thickness of either 2-3/4" (2 or 3 row) or 3-1/2" (4 row).
All above radiators were originally copper/brass construction.

Now, some people have purchased replacement radiators and they have been a aluminum core - plastic tank radiator with 2 rows. This works fine for most replacement application.

There are also numerous all aluminum radiators out there of various quality and construction. Depending on the tank seam type and construction. You may end up with an issue with it fitting into the saddle properly. The closer the aluminum radiator tanks resemble the OE tank style, the less problems you will have.

Hope this helps.
I know it a little too much info, but I just thought I would put it out here.
LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 01:27 PM   #22
In The Ten Ring

If I had to do it over, I'd get my original radiator recored. I plan to eventually. In the meantime, it's going to be the KSS all aluminum radiator.

I am using 4 row brackets on the bottom and 3 row brackets on the top. That's what fits best for it.

Last edited by In The Ten Ring; 07-23-2017 at 01:39 PM.
Old 07-23-2017, 02:05 PM   #23
ryanv70c10

So does anybody make 3 row mounts? I can't seem to find any that are broken down for radiator size. I bought prothane inserts for the 67-72 truck and they won't work. Maybe they are 4 row inserts and since I have 3 row inserts and radiator they are not correct?

I also need the bottom shells since mine are rusted out.

Thanks!
ryanv70c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 01:13 AM   #24
Rufas

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring View Post
If I had to do it over, I'd get my original radiator recored. I plan to eventually. In the meantime, it's going to be the KSS all aluminum radiator.

I am using 4 row brackets on the bottom and 3 row brackets on the top. That's what fits best for it.
I found the KSS website, but no pricing. Who sells KSS radiators?
350 SBC 300hp
Weiand Supercharger
FiTech EFI
Rufas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 01:19 AM   #25
In The Ten Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanv70c10 View Post
So does anybody make 3 row mounts? I can't seem to find any that are broken down for radiator size. I bought prothane inserts for the 67-72 truck and they won't work. Maybe they are 4 row inserts and since I have 3 row inserts and radiator they are not correct?

I also need the bottom shells since mine are rusted out.

Thanks!
I know GMC Pauls has those, I got a set from him. Classic Heartbeat may have those as well.

I couldn't drill out the rivets holding in my originals, I had to grind off the rivets from underneath the radiator core support with a Dremel Tool and punch those out with a hammer and punch (core support off truck for that). I found some originals on the parts forum and hope to use those when I go back to my OEM radiator.