The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-24-2012, 11:22 AM   #1
Hogsophist

8" low profile sub

anyone tried one of these?

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_068SUB8...rv=12625223545

I'm looking for just good sound, not anything more. I have ordered the retrosound stereo and kick panel speaker assembly for my 57 and thought about this as the sub.

??
Hogsophist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:40 AM   #2
JRANGER

Re: 8" low profile sub

I went with a Pioneer setup. Fit perfect behind the seat of my 78 and i can still push the seat all the way back. I bought mine off buy.com though as it was a lot cheaper

SUB:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130TSS2...S2501&skipvs=T

BOX:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130DSW1...UD-SW100T.html
JRANGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 04:33 PM   #3
tubbedII
needs more $$$

I've never seen or heard that product. However, I wouldn't expect much out of it. The size of the entire piece is less than .2 cubic feet which doesn't include the speaker, amp or even the material thickness (So I'd be guessing less than .1 cubic foot of actual volume). I always hear that the enclosure/installation is the biggest factor in a good system, and this issue would make me stay clear.

I once built an enclosure at half the recommended size due to bad math and it sounded horrible...after rebuiling the box, it sounded great with no other changes.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:56 PM   #4
Matt R

The pioneer stuff looks pretty good. You could also do some Tang Band woofers from parts-express.com or some Dayton audio shallow woofers. I've used several Tang Band products, they are very good for the price especially.

Matt
Old 06-03-2012, 03:57 PM   #5
utee05

I was recommended to look at either the Polk MM series (840 8") or the Alpine Type-R (SWR-T10). In my case I was looking to place some subs underneath the seat. You can also look at the TC Sounds Epic 8".
utee05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:52 AM   #6
tubbedII
needs more $$$

I don't know how much room is under a typical bench (never measured personally), but I have seen 1 10" woofer under one. If this is a route you can go, I would recommend the RE Audio REX series 8" woofer. I have heard the 10" and for the price (about $50), I don't think it can be beat. The 8" only requires .35 cubic feet of enclosure sealed, so I would imagine you'd be able to get 1 under the seat incredible ease and more than likely 2 with 1 under each side.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:37 AM   #7
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

RE audio was sold to a new company a couple years back, and the quality has gone downhill. They used to be a great "boutique" brand, and while there high end stuff is still pretty good for the money, the overall quality and service has suffered.

Focal makes some really impressive options, but the price is sometimes deterrent.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:06 PM   #8
utee05

From my initial measurements in my 72 C1500 you should be able to fit a box that can allow up to 8" of depth. I am looking to fit a 10" underneath my set with a box that is 7" in depth.
utee05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:59 PM   #9
tubbedII
needs more $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
RE audio was sold to a new company a couple years back, and the quality has gone downhill. They used to be a great "boutique" brand, and while there high end stuff is still pretty good for the money, the overall quality and service has suffered.
Really?! That's bad news...I liked this line a lot.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:28 PM   #10
Red68

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRANGER View Post
I went with a Pioneer setup. Fit perfect behind the seat of my 78 and i can still push the seat all the way back. I bought mine off buy.com though as it was a lot cheaper

SUB:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130TSS2...S2501&skipvs=T

BOX:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130DSW1...UD-SW100T.html
That is the same sub I have with a custom build box behind the seat of my 68. Powered by a 500 watt alpine amp. Sounds great!
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
1949 1/2 tn, needs complete restore (future project)
1969 Chevy impala 4 dr no post (wifes future car)
2010 GMC Serria 4x4 crew, leveling kit
Red68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:01 PM   #11
chevy72blu

Quote:

Focal makes some really impressive options, but the price is sometimes deterrent.
Thats too bad. I actually met the owner a few times here in Las Vegas. Very passionate guys who took a lot of pride in their work. They were the "in" thing several years back.

I still have a few of their 8" and 12" woofers that sound like 12's and 15's respectively.
chevy72blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:50 PM   #12
claytonisbob

Another slimline sub option is the 10" sub from ED: the SQ10

http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_...roducts_id=106

They're obviously not super high powered, but they sound good and they're cheap. I've been an Elemental Designs fan for years. They'll also build you a custom box if you want.
claytonisbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 05:01 PM   #13
utee05

Also check out the Polk MM1040:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_107MM10...io-MM1040.html

I am also a fan of ED as I have been using their equipment for years in my car and home theater. I may look at those EDs as well for my setup.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:13 AM   #14
Hogsophist

after way too much research, and really liking the sound of the kick panel speakers that were in, i decided that for the money, i'm going to try one of these low profile subs. Easy for a dummy like me and with such a small space, i dont think i will need anything else. I'll let you guys know when i get it hooked in.

ordered a pyle 10" low profile sub off amazon for a pretty decent deal. Good reviews. We shall see.
Hogsophist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 02:48 PM   #15
dukcaln

please let me know because I need to get a sub installed under the seat too...I was looking at the pioneer.... keep us updated
Old 06-25-2012, 07:18 PM   #16
E.Furgal
Account Suspended

I like rockford fosgate.. some of mine are 15 years old and still work like new..
E.Furgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:34 PM   #17
colin_havens

From what I understand, the guys that had RE Audio eventually opened up another speaker company called Fi Car Audio

Not sure if they offer a slim sub, but they make some amazing speakers. I would love to run one of their Q series 10s in my 67. Thats the plan anyway for the future when I revamp the audio in it.
colin_havens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:59 AM   #18
jimmydean

Pioneer's are a solid sub for a low profile. I was looking at running four 8's in my buddy's Dodge.

I was going to use the Alphasonik shallows, but I managed to find enough room to use the Polk Audio MM 10" instead of the shallow. The MM 10" is only 4.5" deep and uses very little air for a sealed setup.
Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=4295210
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:14 PM   #19
utee05

In my setup I ended up going with some Alpine 8" subs. I got a SWR-843D sub and looking to get another one so each will go underneath the passenger and driver. These subs are only 4.5" deep and can fit in a 0.4cuft sealed enclosure. Also they only take about 200W RMS power.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:25 PM   #20
tubbedII
needs more $$$

How'd that polk sound, jimmydean? I was contemplating them for the Blazer, but have decided on a set of Sundowns instead.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:37 PM   #21
jimmydean

They aren't as good as the older version I used in my Toyota (two 8's in there), but still one of my favorite subs all around. Good power, solid bass, great for tight spaces and a good price.

At .75ft3 per 10, it's a nice fit behind my Caddy seats. Still waiting on my amp purchase before building anything more at this point.
Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=4295210
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:42 PM   #22
tubbedII
needs more $$$

I know the feeling! I have the amp for the Blazer, just need to rack up some $$$ for the speaker purchase...

What amp are you going with?
Old 07-05-2012, 01:47 PM   #23
Billett

Sundowns are fantastic subs. Even the 8" ones can hang in with some of the better name brand 12"s. Unfortunately Sundown doesn't make any shallow ones to my knowledge. Fi is arguable one of the best brands out there right now for subs but they will definitely cost you. I'd rate polk above alpine/pioneer but Fi quality. Whatever you do do NOT under any circumstances waste your money on a set of sonys... Right now the best shallow mount out there is the JL 13tw5-3. A friend of mine has one in the trunk of his Camaro and I have to say it is a bit better quality than the pair of 12" full size JLs that I have. Unfortunately it also costs a bit more

Not trying to bad mouth the subs you guys bought just giving out my opinion. As far as setup, as long as you keep in mind the ft^3 that the speaker needs in a box almost anything can sound good with a well built box. A lot of people I meet think that they need the biggest subs with the highest max output, when really this sub is just going in a truck cab. 10" max is all you really need when the speaker is bumping 6" under your a$$ in a small cab. max watts mean nothing, RMS is more important. Expensive speakers still sound like crap if you put them in too small of a box, and my biggest pet peeve is quality. What good is a loud subwoofer if it is so distorted you can't even hear the lyrics of your music through the garbage!

again not trying to degrade anything you guys bought. As long as it isn't sony its fine with me, I just get a little riled up over bad sound system advice so I'm trying to preemptively give good advice haha

sorry about that /rant.
Billett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:27 PM   #24
ProStreet68SB
The Engine Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt R View Post
The pioneer stuff looks pretty good. You could also do some Tang Band woofers from parts-express.com or some Dayton audio shallow woofers. I've used several Tang Band products, they are very good for the price especially.

Matt
Tang Band 8s are great! they are pretty deep for an 8 though. I had 4 in a T-Line in my mazda b2200. I could do 146.1 at 43hz on 600RMS.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubbedII View Post
Really?! That's bad news...I liked this line a lot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy72blu View Post
Thats too bad. I actually met the owner a few times here in Las Vegas. Very passionate guys who took a lot of pride in their work. They were the "in" thing several years back.

I still have a few of their 8" and 12" woofers that sound like 12's and 15's respectively.
David who used to own RE now owns PSI car audio as well as fix my speaker.
ProStreet68SB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:41 AM   #25
dliving69

I recently put a 10 Kicker CVT in my truck which is a slim line sub in the slim box made for it bye KICKER. and it shakes my truck with 300 watts.
dliving69 is offline   Reply With Quote