The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-07-2011, 01:59 AM   #1
Jacfourteen
Big Red - Now its a SWB!

How to shorten your driveshaft

Lately I've been working on converting my truck to 1/2 ton and shortening my frame down to a SWB. One of the things that I had to deal with was the driveline. I did some research online and found a site where a guy outlined the steps that he had followed to shorten many drivelines with no trouble, so I figured I'd give it a shot. Here is the link http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/tran...riveshaft.html If it ended up out of balance I figured I'd go get another from the local junk yard for $25, and if it went well I'd save about $150 for paying someone else to do it. So first I wire wheeled all of the rust and undercoating off of the driveline, I don't know how this thing wasn't out of balance to begin with because all the undercoating was on one side. Next I decided to take the 12 inches out at the splined end because there was no balance weights to mess with. Here it is after cleanup:

So I used a thin cut off wheel on my grinder to cut a shallow groove near the weld on the yoke, it only had to be about 1/16" deep to get through the shaft. Here's a pic:

After that the yoke popped right off with a few taps from a hammer:

Then I measured to see exactly how much needed to be removed, I determined that I needed to cut out 11 and 7/8". Then I clamped it into my chop saw and made sure it was square:

Then I made the cut, and cleaned it up using a file on the inside of the tube and a grinder on the outside and end. Then I had to press the yoke back in, I made a contraption out of 2 chunks of 2x4 and 2 clamps then I had to heat the tube with a propane torch and whack the block with a hammer and keep tensioning the clamps till it was seated:

Next I bolted the driveline into place a spun it and adjusted the runout of the splined section until I got just right. I didn't have a dial gauge to check runout so I rigged up a piece of wire to see how much it was wobbling:

Once satisfied I tack welded a few spots and removed the shaft. Then I welded it up good and used a grinder to knock down any high spots in the weld to help keep things balanced. Then I shot it with some flat black and threw it on.

Since I did this I have had my truck up about 75 and haven't had any vibrations from it, so I think it has been a success. If I missed anything or you have any questions let me know.
68 3/4 ton (Project)-350 Small Block, .030 over, 10:1 comp, 3998993 heads, C3BX edelbrock intake, comp cams XE268, Holley 670 SA, long tube headers, dual flow 40's, E-fan, Alum rad, currently under the knife getting shortened and bagged build thread
41 3/4 ton (wife's)-flatbed, fully restored to original
01 Tahoe LT 4WD (my daily driver)-Magnaflow Muffler, Rollin on 22's
02 Ford Mustang Convertable (Wife's Car)-Flowmaster 50, Clear corners, Intake, sittin on 18's
Jacfourteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 07:03 AM   #2
bobs409
1969 Custom 30 wrecker

Re: How to shorten your driveshaft

Cool! I was wondering if this is something a DIY'er could do. Guess it is!

63 Impala 283/PG/3.36 (under restoration)
66 Impala 327/PG/3.36
66 Chevelle SS 409/M22/3.55
69 Chevelle 307/PG/3.08 (future restoration)
69 C10 short stepside 454/TH350/3.73
69 Custom 30 tow truck 350/4 spd/4.10 (resto done, CRUISIN TIME!)
71 Cheyenne 20 fleetside 350/4 spd/4.10
71 Chevelle 6/PG/3.08
72 Chevelle 454/M21/4.10
bobs409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 07:33 AM   #3
Jeffs70

great job.
Jeffs70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 07:36 AM   #4
jondancer

how did you know how much to cut out ?
jondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 08:11 AM   #5
Jacfourteen
Big Red - Now its a SWB!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondancer View Post
how did you know how much to cut out ?
I measured from the center of the u joint on the tranny to the mounting pad for the carrier bearing.
Posted via Mobile Device
68 3/4 ton (Project)-350 Small Block, .030 over, 10:1 comp, 3998993 heads, C3BX edelbrock intake, comp cams XE268, Holley 670 SA, long tube headers, dual flow 40's, E-fan, Alum rad, currently under the knife getting shortened and bagged build thread
02 Ford Mustang Convertable (Wife's Car)-Flowmaster 50, Clear corners, Intake, sittin on 18's
Old 05-07-2011, 09:08 AM   #6
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

That is slick but I'm curious why you wouldn't want to go with a one piece and eliminate the carrier bearing??
prostreetC-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 09:43 AM   #7
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Good job! I did one similar to that on a beach buggy I built way back in 1970 and it came out good. Only difference in mine is I ground down the welded portion and then cut the shaft with a hack saw going around it until I cut all the way.

****Word of caution****

This is not for the amateur welder to do. The drive shaft is under a lot of stress and has to be welded by a professional. You don't want it to come undone due to stress fractures. Minor vibrations combined with stess can quickly cause a hairline fracture to completely destroy the weld.

The repair bills on a broken drive shaft can far exceed the cost of a new one. I had mine welded by a professional welder.

Last edited by 68gmsee; 05-07-2011 at 09:43 AM.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 09:58 AM   #8
brad_man_72
the boat guy

Exclamation Re: How to shorten your driveshaft

that spline needs to be within .002" of straight. How much did the stub move from the heat when welding? About 1 in 500 shafts won't require weight on one end, did you get the stub back in exatly where the factory had it, don't forget to compensate for the mass of tubing removed, and the stub wasn't 100% straight from the factory.
you should have removed the section of tue from the weld yoke end as they are far less sensitive than a carrier stub.
I build drivelines every day, and this isn't a project I'd do at home!

some people don't notice their driveshaft vibrating when it's about to fall out of the truck. It's an old truck, it shakes and shimmies, that's what it's supposed to do, right?!
when most people work on their own driveshaft they make it to where even I cant fix it, costing them even more money.

please at least take your "finished" driveline to a rea driveline shop, not a mechanic, not a machine shop because these guys are about the worst at working on drivelines. But a real driveline shop and have them check and ballance the shaft.

why does it feel like I give this advice every week here?...
66, stevens drag/ski 18' silouette, 350, 2.02 doublehump heads. comp extreme marine 278 cam, vette 7 fin valve covers, old polished edelbrock intake, velvetdrive, casale v-drive, adj cavitation plate.
28, model a rpu project,
brad_man_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 10:03 AM   #9
brad_man_72
the boat guy

broken shafts can ruin your (things I've actually seen) transmission most common, rear end, gas tanks, fuel lins, air lines, body damage, frame damage, wiring. But hey ya saved $60 right
Old 05-07-2011, 10:38 AM   #10
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
I have cut my own drive shafts for every car I ever built that needed one cut, (at least 6) with a hack saw and welder. I have only had to re-do one that I welded too much on one side instead of alternating sides and it pulled it. I have never had one crack or come apart. The guy that showed me how to do it shortened all of the ones for his drag cars. Don't get me wrong, I don't advocate that "everyone" shorten their own shaft but it can be done successfully by a DIY'er.

Just my 2¢ worth.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 01:44 PM   #11
Jacfourteen
Big Red - Now its a SWB!

Thanks for the input guys. I agree that having it checked out by a pro is a good idea, but the people I've talked to gave had good results. If I was pouting down huge power or going to the track of def spring for a custom shaft. I plan on going one peice when I swap to a t56.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-07-2011, 03:36 PM   #12
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

I'm with brad_man_72 on this one. It is not a job for a DIYer to tackle, especially w/o a dial indicator.

Just because you may not "feel" a vibration, does not mean that it isn't there....and tearing up something.
I partly blame those week-end TV shows that continually do this kind of thing. Sure they run a disclaimer saying that the info provided is not "complete".....but who reads that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.

Last edited by LONGHAIR; 05-07-2011 at 03:39 PM.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 04:02 PM   #13
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

Oh great.......so you are going to tell me I sholdn't have welded my crank back together when it broke?

Yeah those shows always show the host hands and the tech hands but you don't know which is which.
prostreetC-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 08:47 PM   #14
Richard H.
Spanked once

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacfourteen View Post
Thanks for the input guys. I agree that having it checked out by a pro is a good idea, but the people I've talked to gave had good results. If I was pouting down huge power or going to the track of def spring for a custom shaft. I plan on going one peice when I swap to a t56.
Posted via Mobile Device
Nice write up , If you do it again , the sleeve on the other end is longer I believe to get better alignment when you force it back in. If you have the tube square and the yoke as square as possible for a good beveled mating surface it ain't gonna move. Keep up the good work!
Old 05-08-2011, 12:06 AM   #15
brad_man_72
the boat guy

the pilots are generally the same size on a weld yoke and a slip stub, but the alignment of a slip stub is far more critical than the weld yoke. I've seen both weld yokes and slips stubs move .020 from welding heat. To make the shaft straight again requires heating and cooling. Just because it's straight doesn't mean it's ballanced. Variations in tube thickness (even dom) and parts being partially machined contribute to off ballance condition.

why the pilot looks so short in this thread is because the original weld wasn't removed. I cut all of the parts I will reuse out with a lathe.

not really a prob with our gen trucks but some trucks w 3r style weld yokes dont have a straight pilot and can be a real pita to reuse because they are wedge shaped.
Old 05-08-2011, 02:02 PM   #16
Fastfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad_man_72 View Post
that spline needs to be within .002" of straight. How much did the stub move from the heat when welding? About 1 in 500 shafts won't require weight on one end, did you get the stub back in exatly where the factory had it, don't forget to compensate for the mass of tubing removed, and the stub wasn't 100% straight from the factory.
you should have removed the section of tue from the weld yoke end as they are far less sensitive than a carrier stub.
I build drivelines every day, and this isn't a project I'd do at home!

some people don't notice their driveshaft vibrating when it's about to fall out of the truck. It's an old truck, it shakes and shimmies, that's what it's supposed to do, right?!
when most people work on their own driveshaft they make it to where even I cant fix it, costing them even more money.

please at least take your "finished" driveline to a rea driveline shop, not a mechanic, not a machine shop because these guys are about the worst at working on drivelines. But a real driveline shop and have them check and ballance the shaft.

why does it feel like I give this advice every week here?...
BEST LEFT TO THE PROFESSIONALS. I would not want to risk it.
Fastfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 02:32 PM   #17
72freak
Rottenwood Garage Member

I have done my share of them also....but for $40 with new U joints and ballanced its not a hard decision or worth the trouble or time anymore. I now take them to Driveline Services.
1972 Chevrolet C-20 Custom Camper "Dump Truck"
1972 Chevrolet C-20 Suburban "Big Green"
1969 Chevrolet C-50 Wedge Hauler "Leonidis"
1966 C-10 2x4 short fleet 327 4 speed "Race Truck"
1952 Plymouth Cranbrook "Rican" (my grandfathers)
1931 Ford Model A Coupe "Black Beauty"
1930 Ford Model A truck "Club Cab" 4x4

Rottenwood Garage and Speed Shop.....where everything must be racy!

It's not just a hobby..It's a LIFESTYLE!!!

Thanks for nothing Barrett-Jackson

You cant fix stupid or teach accountability!

Time wasters, looky Lous and tire kickers are everywhere!
72freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 04:34 PM   #18
Jacfourteen
Big Red - Now its a SWB!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72freak View Post
I have done my share of them also....but for $40 with new U joints and ballanced its not a hard decision or worth the trouble or time anymore. I now take them to Driveline Services.
Thats cheap I would have let them do it too. The closest shop to me was 45 minutes away and wanted about $150 to do it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-08-2011, 05:47 PM   #19
brad_man_72
the boat guy

$40 for 3 ujoints is too cheap much less labor to install them a Cut and weld and a ballance!
Old 05-08-2011, 06:56 PM   #20
72freak
Rottenwood Garage Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad_man_72 View Post
$40 for 3 ujoints is too cheap much less labor to install them a Cut and weld and a ballance!
Short bed 1 piece....1 cut, 1 weld, 2 u-joints and balance. I had the yoke.

We took one the other day and had the u-joints and I think it was $32.

Old 05-08-2011, 08:03 PM   #21
BIGKEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72freak View Post
Short bed 1 piece....1 cut, 1 weld, 2 u-joints and balance. I had the yoke.

We took one the other day and had the u-joints and I think it was $32.
That's ridiculously cheap! I'd be skeptical at that low of a price. Dad always says, cheap things are of no value, and valuable things are not cheap.
BIGKEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 11:59 PM   #22
1971 GMC SHORTY

When I was About 24 years old when i did a small block to big block with a 400 tranny,
didnt relize i need a shorter Driveshaft so My Buddy Said We Can Shorten The Drive Shaft Being Young Thought It Would Save me Some Money.
We Cut It Down But Keep Makeing Sure It Was Good Drove it For 3 -4 Years Street Raced It Still Being Driven Buy My Old Buddy Still Driveing that Short Bed with Same DriveShaft..
1971 GMC SHORTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 05:08 AM   #23
72freak
Rottenwood Garage Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGKEV View Post
That's ridiculously cheap! I'd be skeptical at that low of a price. Dad always says, cheap things are of no value, and valuable things are not cheap.
+

That is the main drive shaft pace in our area. They have been here 20+ years and have a great reputation. EVERYONE uses them.

Old 05-09-2011, 05:56 AM   #24
Altec
Getcha Pull

You know, I've shortened drive shafts, and even my Dad's '84 Monte survived YEARS of 900+HP and 130MPH runs with a home shortened shaft with no vibrations, and no issues. Frankly though, I still recommend having a pro do it. At the end of the day, it is good insurance, and if the shop warranties their stuff, then even better.

When we do them we would level the tube, and tie it down so the uncut yokes side is facing up. Then put a level on the uncut yoke, and level that. Then adjust the cut yoke to match. Using three machinist levels at the same time to make sure nothing moves... Then taking a forth level check the uncut yoke for vertical level, and make the cut side match. Tack weld it, and welding from their. Then check it all again...

I think the key is not disturbing the original weights. I still don't recommend doing it. Simply posting for knowledge sake...
'96 Integra
Altec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 06:23 AM   #25
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

thumbs up for another DIY...yep did mine and have abused 2 sets of wrinkle wall pro streets....but yea I would not do it for anyone else but myself and I do plan on a 1 piece DS when the U joints fail

Mikes Sandwich Fair Run OCT 8th 2011
Hottrucks is offline   Reply With Quote