The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-03-2018, 09:24 PM   #20
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Re: An insect nearly burned down my 67 stepside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteVet View Post
Yeah I worried about that too. If it's bad I will probably get my 700r4 rebuilt or buy a newer one. Mine is an 84 but it was beefed up. I went to the turbo 350 because the front pump seal was leaking on the 700r4 and the PO had had it replaced twice and it still leaked. I had a shop replace the seal and bushing and flush the converter for $100, and when I picked it up they told me it wasn't going to last long because the clutches were bad, and the converter bearing was worn. After they took my $100 of course.
A reputable shop would have called you and told you about the converter bearing, and you could have had it installed before they put in the front seal. If all they did was replace the front seal, how did they know about all the "burnt clutches"? Did they take the pan off? The modern day version of that is like when I took a computer in many years ago to get a card that could give me a USB port (new tech, at the time); the shop showed me that it came up with the "Blue Screen of Death". I told them to hook it up to better equipment and reboot, which worked. I got an estimate for $50 on the phone, and $100 when I got there for the installation. I don't think they liked me much after pointing out the difference in price, so went with the other problem so that I would have to pay for a reinstall of the system. Every business has these people.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote