The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-03-2016, 05:42 PM   #1
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Corvairs

Any of you guys ever own a Corvair? I was watching an episode of Wheeler Dealers the other day and they did a 63 Corvair convertible. Turned out to be a neat little car.

Ive been on the lookout for a convertible project for a long time. Looked in to Corvairs after I saw that episode and found a halfway decent 65 convertible not too far from my house. Not a turbo charged version, I don't want something like that. But it does have an auto trans, I like that.

Any Corvair experience out there?
Old 09-03-2016, 06:09 PM   #2
TwoFiftyShifter

Re: Corvairs

Was out driving in the mountains today, got behind a 65 red Convair. Nice cars in my opinion
Old 09-03-2016, 06:48 PM   #3
friscobob

The 2nd generation certainly handled better than the first, the engine has it's share of problems. Not an engine for a beginner to tackle unless they talk with a lot of oldtime mechanics that have worked on them.
Bob
friscobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 07:30 PM   #4
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
Any of you guys ever own a Corvair? I was watching an episode of Wheeler Dealers the other day and they did a 63 Corvair convertible. Turned out to be a neat little car.

Ive been on the lookout for a convertible project for a long time. Looked in to Corvairs after I saw that episode and found a halfway decent 65 convertible not too far from my house. Not a turbo charged version, I don't want something like that. But it does have an auto trans, I like that.

Any Corvair experience out there?
Had a friend that added two more Name:  010.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  83.2 KB taillights to what the Corvairs already had ,,looked good too
Old 09-03-2016, 07:39 PM   #5
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

I think the 2nd-gen Corvairs had great classic styling. In my younger days I wanted a Crown Corv-8. If you never heard of that, it was an aftermarket conversion. The basics involved removing the engine and rear seat, then stuffing a SBC where the back seat used to be. Mid-engine V8 gave it great handling and plenty of power. Still has appeal even though I've been over it for decades....

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 07:45 PM   #6
GOPAPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
I think the 2nd-gen Corvairs had great classic styling. In my younger days I wanted a Crown Corv-8. If you never heard of that, it was an aftermarket conversion. The basics involved removing the engine and rear seat, then stuffing a SBC where the back seat used to be. Mid-engine V8 gave it great handling and plenty of power. Still has appeal even though I've been over it for decades....
Must of put more suspension under them didn't they Mike,,maybe not as it would of handled more like a go-cart I guess,,
Old 09-03-2016, 08:51 PM   #7
CG
BlahBlahBlah

I know they did lots of crazy things to Corvairs in the past. I'm more interested in a good running reliable car with nice paint and interior and some sort of aftermarket wheels and tires. I want the back seat available so we can take the grand kids places on sunny days. I want to be able to hop in the car and drive down the west coast, or drive all the way to the east coast and back.

Need to get rid of the 41 Cadillac and my other misc car and truck projects and stuff before I drag something home. My honey has asked me (for the zillionth time lol) to pare down. Keep one truck thing, and one car thing.

We are getting closer to retirement and need to get serious now and make sure all our ducks are in a row.

I have a board member that is going to check out a different (not a Vair) convertible for me out of state. Ive looked at several local verts (65 and older) and Ive checked out a few verts for sale on the HAMB.

Corvairs weren't even on my radar until the episode of Wheeler Dealers.
Old 09-03-2016, 09:15 PM   #8
Indian113

I had a 62 2 door coupe, hated the Fish and Go Find shifter but loved the car. I dated a girl that her folks had a 66 convertible always wanted one but Good OL Ralph ended my dreams.
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 09:15 PM   #9
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
My experience with Corvairs wasn't all that great. One of the floor covering stores I worked for back in the '60's bought a few used vans for the installers to drive. First off they didn't have any power, when you got all of your tools in them and a couple of rolls of carpet you had to pull all of the steeper hills in first gear. The darned things leaked oil, and being the hot air for the heater was pulled from around the engine they filled the whole interior of the truck with a blue oil haze in the winter time. No thanks, I'll stick to the water cooled vehicles if you don't mind....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 09:21 PM   #10
GOPAPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
My experience with Corvairs wasn't all that great. One of the floor covering stores I worked for back in the '60's bought a few used vans for the installers to drive. First off they didn't have any power, when you got all of your tools in them and a couple of rolls of carpet you had to pull all of the steeper hills in first gear. The darned things leaked oil, and being the hot air for the heater was pulled from around the engine they filled the whole interior of the truck with a blue oil haze in the winter time. No thanks, I'll stick to the water cooled vehicles if you don't mind....

LockDoc
Was it you who called Ralph Nader,, lol

they didn't fit my foot for speed either ,,but to see them at car shows now days is all together different now as all cars and trucks are neat,, sure would like to see Mark get one and let us listen and watch as he takes on the adventure..
Old 09-03-2016, 09:29 PM   #11
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPAPA View Post
Was it you who called Ralph Nader,, lol

they didn't fit my foot for speed either ,,but to see them at car shows now days is all together different now as all cars and trucks are neat,, sure would like to see Mark get one and let us listen and watch as he takes on the adventure..

I might have contributed to the end result because of all my complaining...

I saw a really neat Corvair pickup today, right here in Montezuma. I will have to see if I can get a picture of it. White with Red trim.... Looked good.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 09:53 PM   #12
davischevy

A friend of mine has six or eight really nice ones. Some turbocharged, some convertibles and at least one pickup, both generations.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 10:01 PM   #13
GOPAPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by davischevy View Post
A friend of mine has six or eight really nice ones. Some turbocharged, some convertibles and at least one pickup, both generations.
Could you take some photos of all your friends collection for us to see? I would understand if your friend said no,, I have a friend that had a real cool one when they first came out and he just loves seeing them in car shows,, and also would you comment in the post about the earthquake and let us know if your had damage or eve felt it or not.. you might be answering it now while I ask,,.
Old 09-03-2016, 10:03 PM   #14
franken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
This but w/ an LS...
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 10:12 PM   #15
davischevy

GOPAPA I will see what I can do about pictures.

I didn't feel the earthquake, but I see on Facebook that a lot of people around here did. My sister lives at Rogers, but I haven't talked to her.

BTW, we are doing a road widening job (passing lane) on HWY 7 down Russellville way.

other Larry

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
Old 09-03-2016, 10:13 PM   #16
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-

LockDoc
Ive heard that about the vans and trucks. Mark Livrat told me the wagons were impossible to work on since you cant get to the engine. A friend of mine recently restored a rampside pickup for someone and it really looked nice all finished up. Not my cup of tea for sure, but like gopapa said, I appreciate most old cars and trucks now when done up all pretty like =)
Old 09-03-2016, 10:34 PM   #17
davischevy

Arkansas has a pretty active Corvair Club. Check their FB page. Here are three of my friends Corvairs and some pics of a meeting from FB.
Attached Images

Old 09-03-2016, 10:40 PM   #18
davischevy

Larry, here are some pics.
Attached Images

Old 09-03-2016, 11:35 PM   #19
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Boy they sure look good with Cragars on them.
Old 09-03-2016, 11:57 PM   #20
davischevy

Yep

Old 09-04-2016, 12:31 AM   #21
In The Ten Ring

Didn't you guys read Ralph Nader's book? I can't believe you'd risk your life even thinking about a Corvair!

Jokes aside, it's a pretty car. I hope you find what you want and fix it all up.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 12:57 AM   #22
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

IMHO, from certain angles these coupes are so pretty they almost make your eyeballs bleed. Such a graceful greenhouse.... some of the last cars styled without an overload of regulations guiding the end product.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 08:14 AM   #23
special-K
Special Order

I really like the Corvairs. GM always stuck their neck out with new ideas more than the others and these are just one example. This is one big reason I became a Bowtie Man and grew into a total GM fan. My dad had a '64 when I first started driving. Smooth and quite! A friend's dad was into them heavily even in the early-70s. AACA voted them in as classics before their time. Good ole Waldo Davis showed me what restoration was all about. He'd have the numbers correctly stenciled onto the shroud pieces and just totally meticulous about every nitpickin' detail, tearing them down to bones. I had a '56 VW bug for my first car and that ended up fully restored by the time I was 20. I bought a '66 VW Bus about then and he gave me a first year Corvair engine to do a swap (which never happened). Those were 85hp, lowest, but he said had the most "beef" for being durable in the bus. I also have a friend, Olblue60's old longtime friend, who is serious into them. He races a Yenko at the local SCCA track (Summit Point, WVA). I'd like to have one.

Back when I was doing a lot of picture threads I did one I'm 99% sure was titled, "Pic Thread: Corvairs", but danged if I can find it. I did them all that way, if not maybe spelling "picture" out on some. Couldn't find either. But I did find this one from a while back:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ad%3A+Corvairs

Also, a guy up the rod from me had a black later Corvair with the small block mid-engine conversion for sale 10 years or more back. I wanted that thing bad. It was black and I believe it had Vette rallyes on it.

I see an LS zombie managed to find his way in here with a very helpful post

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 09-04-2016 at 08:44 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 08:36 AM   #24
6t727t2

Bought a '65 in '71 for $75 from a friend of my dad, push button auto, drove it for a year or so, sold it for $300 for a down payment on a '72 vega, power galore on both
6t727t2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 08:49 AM   #25
72ironmike

In the late 70's I restored a 64 convertible. Paid $125 for it. Had a quarter sized rust hole in the top of one fender and that was it. White over black. Had a power top, automatic and factory A/C. Paid $300 for a paint job that would cost $4000 today, put new carpet, new top, a seat insert or two in it and found some factory knock off wire wheels for $60. Then I put some BR60 x 13 Goodrich Radials on it and had $1125 in an incredible car. Did not get to enjoy it though. My roommate took it out and wrecked it when I was out of town. I ended up selling it to his dad. I probably had several and even had a 63 Spyder coupe with the turbo but none as nice as the 64. Would have another if I could find the right project.
72ironmike is offline   Reply With Quote