The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-18-2019, 02:27 AM   #1
Mike_The_Grad

I broke zerk fitting... :(

So I broke a brand new zerk fitting off in the brand new control arm shaft bushing I just spent a few hours working on. 1972 c10 passenger side lower control arm shaft bushing, the front one. MOOG kit #6147. So after a little reading online I learned of a tool called a grease fitting tool. Kinda looks like a valve stem tool for bikes/motorcycles. It can install,remove,chase threads,etc. So I went and found one. $10 at oreillys. Well, it didnt work to remove the broken off zerk. Oh yeah, it broke off flush with the end of the bushing. So nothing to grab onto. Anyways, I found a couple of spiral flutes extractors in my tool box. Seemed to be the right size. At first it looked like it might work. Then SNAP. Broke the extractor tip off in the bushing also.
This is day 2 of replacing all the control arm shafts on my c10. I still have the drivers side upper to do. The other 3 are complete, well except the zerk fitting issue. It's the first time it's happened to me. You know, " one more turn couldn't hurt." Lol.
My question probably has an obvious answer. How am I going to get the broken zerk out? I dont want to leave it because you know, greasing and all. And I REALLY DON'T WANT TO TAKE IT BACK OFF. Can i just spin out the bushing and replace it with a new one without dropping the control arm and taking the other bushing out? Or do I have to disassemble the whole thing and remove the broken pieces and then put it all back together? I seen that Brothers is now selling the bushings individually which is less expensive than an entire new moog kit.

Help is appreciated, but anything other is expected. Lol. J/K. Thanks to all those that do offer help. Its what keeps this site worth visting.
Attached Images

Instagram: Mike_The_Grad
Mike_The_Grad is offline   Reply With Quote