The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-06-2017, 02:18 PM   #1
Dan in Pasadena

3rd Brake Light Ideas - Photos Please

I'm looking for ideas/sources for an in-window or ON-window mounted third brake light.

Not looking fo an IN the sheet metal idea though I've seen some truly cool ones, I'm past the point of redoing the cab sheet metal.

I'm hoping for something a little more trick than the one on a little billet stand that just bolts to the interior sheet metal but that may be the only option at this point. I'm hoping for something that attaches directly to the inside of the window glass, above or below the window and is not too noticeable inside the cab.

Anyone have a neat source/idea?

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 02:26 PM   #2
MARTINSR

Re: 3rd Brake Light Ideas - Photos Please

I am interested in what people will post on this. I have studied traffic in many different ways and one of the things I have found is people drive by that brake light of the car in front of them. A plane could crash three cars ahead and they wouldn't see it! They are STARING at that brake light on the car in front of them.

I put one in my Rambler daily driver that I got at the wrecking yard. Not recommending this of course, pretty funky, but it got the job done for me. I went to the wrecking yard and spent the whole day there looking for the best one, brought home a few and modified this one grinding it to fit the glass perfect. It raises up off the package tray perfectly and is just about invisible until lit.

I am thinking you want to go with the "theme" of the truck. If it's a highly modified and upgraded truck the billet may be a great way to go. If it's a stock appearing truck then using something made up from a vintage car would be cool. Or make it yourself using a painted piece that looks like the interior with a little chrome trim around it like they would have done in the fifties?

Can't wait to see the ideas.

Brian
Attached Images

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 04:04 PM   #3
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
...I put one in my Rambler daily driver that I got at the wrecking yard. Not recommending this of course, pretty funky, but it got the job done for me.
I don't think its funky at all. I think its the way real hotrodders have always done it.

Quote:
....I went to the wrecking yard and spent the whole day there looking for the best one, brought home a few and modified this one grinding it to fit the glass perfect. It raises up off the package tray perfectly and is just about invisible until lit.
I am hoping to avoid a full day searching of course but they way yours "fits" is what I'm searching for. The only other approach I can think of is the brake lights in the bed roll ends and I'm not sure I want those. I originally was going to weld shut the roll ends but since everyone seems to do that now I decided I want mine to be different and left them open.

Quote:
I am thinking you want to go with the "theme" of the truck. If it's a highly modified and upgraded truck the billet may be a great way to go. Can't wait to see the ideas.
Well, you're absolutely right of course. I hadn't thought of this but my truck is; I guess, "highly modified". It has an LS engine, electronic trans and will have to have 17 or 18" to clear the four Corvette discs & brake calipers. It will no longer look like my avatar photo at all.
Yeah, I'm hoping for some good ideas too. Hopefully someone has saved a photo I havent been able to find via Google.

Brian[/QUOTE]

Old 02-06-2017, 04:55 PM   #4
MARTINSR

This is it from the inside.

Brian
Attached Images

Old 02-06-2017, 05:12 PM   #5
Dan in Pasadena

Looks good Brian but that specific one won't work for me because I have no package tray of course.

There's only maybe 3/8" wide sheet metal under the window edge. More and more it feels like it'll be the little billet one screwed into the metal OR something that will actually stick to the glass. Possibly something could be fabricated with a sheet metal flange that would go between the glass and the rubber?

Old 02-06-2017, 05:29 PM   #6
Dave0

Im thinking long and thin for mine, LED. I sure hate to cut a hole in the cab, so I was thinking in the back window or possibly in the top of the gate...
Dave0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 06:06 PM   #7
HUSSEY

This is what I used. I also has a back-up light integrated into it. I JB welded a couple screws on the back of it to act as mounting studs then bolted in on the sheet metal above my bumper. With the stainless trim around it, it didn't look out of place. I don't have any close up pics but you can see below and it lit up as I'm backing out of my drive in the following video.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Wh...wQ15XOY-C#rwid

The back-up light is nice and bright too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRtkcPPpmJw
Old 02-06-2017, 07:07 PM   #8
MARTINSR

The only problem with that is people don't see it as easily. They are STARING at the rear window area these days. At the top of the tail gate would be as low as I would go.

Brian

Old 02-06-2017, 07:58 PM   #9
drivea55

keeping an eye on this thread, I am also trying to figure out a 3rd brake light and maybe that white and red one above can work. making a mounting bracket just inside the rear window. not sure if it would reflect inside too much or not.

looks like it could work.

SOLD to "ONEBADFIVEFIVE"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=436406
drivea55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 08:04 PM   #10
drivea55

now this one looks like you could zip 2 small screws thru the inside layer above the window and it would hinge down. 2 wires and your done.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/F1-Style-Tri...hVK-rn&vxp=mtr

SOLD to "ONEBADFIVEFIVE"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=436406
drivea55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 08:27 PM   #11
mr48chev

I think a guy just has to go pick-a-part hunting until he finds something that will work the way it needs to.
You will probably have to make your own mount for one in a truck though and most likely come up with a housing that looks like it should be there rather than one that is stuck on.
That or one of the billet aftermarket ones.

Something like this might work though. Not spendy and it's made to work inside the glass. https://www.amazon.com/Xotic-Tech-Un...or+back+window
I ordered one to try in my 71 GMC 3/4 ton.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.

Last edited by mr48chev; 02-06-2017 at 08:35 PM.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 08:49 PM   #12
donandal

I'm with you on the rear window type brake light, but I searched
the web for hours and couldn't find anything I liked.
There is just no room without interfering with the seat backs.
And plastic was out of the question.

I considered making a period correct looking pod to mount just
inside the glass fastened to either the top or bottom of the interior
window frame. I mocked up some cardboard shapes but nothing
seemed to feel right. Finally got frustrated and just bought the bed
rail round LED type.

They are pricey!

I have to say though, they are very bright and they are high enough
to see easily. Also, they do come on quicker.
Old 02-06-2017, 10:53 PM   #13
HUSSEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
I think a guy just has to go pick-a-part hunting until he finds something that will work the way it needs to.
I think this may be the better advise. A lot of trucks had them on the top of the cab, you may find one that curves well to fit with the cab. I think the hardest part will be finding something that doesn't look out of place.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:33 PM   #14
Dan in Pasadena

Hussey,
I'm with Brian that I'd like the light mounted higher than below the tailgate. IF i were willing to do more metal work I might be willing to put it IN the top rail of the tailgate or the cab above or below the window.

The link you posted makes that LED strip look like it could work good except I'd have to modify the flimsy sheet metal mounting strip it's too wide for the ledge under my big window. I'd also be concerned about the light shingin IN the cab. Maybe if i could find some kind of rubber surround that would mask the light and direct it outward.

Keep the ideas coming guys.

Old 02-06-2017, 09:01 PM   #15
Dan in Pasadena

This one looks like it MIGHT work:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Re...3D231946467998

...if the mount would face toward the dash but the light could swivel 180* and face outward. Plus, the mount is cheesy black plastic which I dont like.

Old 02-06-2017, 09:11 PM   #16
my56chevytruck

Dan,
I'm using this third brake light in my truck, I've mounted this below the rear window. Screwed down to the lower window lip, sorry the picture isn't better. Works great and very visible.

https://www.southernrods.com/headlig...1.58.35-PM.png
Attached Images

my56chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 11:09 PM   #17
MARTINSR

How about instead of at the rear window to have it mounted on top of the front bed panel? Unless it's sealed to the window you will get reflection back at you. On the bed panel you wouldn't get anything and I think it will be seen just fine. Up higher would be better, but seal it to the window.

Brian

Old 02-07-2017, 06:05 PM   #18
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
How about instead of at the rear window to have it mounted on top of the front bed panel?...
I like this idea IF i could find the right light housing. Either a billet one that i could round off the edges to make it look older style and polished of course. OR possibly paint it body color so it isn't quite as noticeable.

Old 02-07-2017, 09:00 PM   #19
Clay54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
I like this idea IF i could find the right light housing. Either a billet one that i could round off the edges to make it look older style and polished of course. OR possibly paint it body color so it isn't quite as noticeable.
1949-50 3100 (Multi-page thread 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page) Sorry I don't have computer savvy enough to pull this across but starting on post #240 this person builds a third brake lite on the back of an AD cab. Again, sorry for not being able to post the link but I hope you can take a look anyway. Clay
Clay54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 01:16 AM   #20
mr48chev

I've always wished a guy could convert one of the 71/72 Chevy GMC cargo lights that goes on the back of the cab above the window into a third brake
There have to be other ones that might mount above the rear window on the outside where you could run the wire in behind the dome light using that hole for access.

I should have the one I ordered by the end of the week and may be able to stick it up in the back window of one of my cabs and take a photo or two.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 01:36 PM   #21
56hotrodred

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
I've always wished a guy could convert one of the 71/72 Chevy GMC cargo lights that goes on the back of the cab above the window into a third brake
There have to be other ones that might mount above the rear window on the outside where you could run the wire in behind the dome light using that hole for access.

I should have the one I ordered by the end of the week and may be able to stick it up in the back window of one of my cabs and take a photo or two.
I would like to see this one also! Just bought a new AAW wiring harness and it includes 3rd brake light wire.
56hotrodred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 03:57 PM   #22
jremig

What about using an internally modified (if need be) interior dome light? Mount outside above window and would be period correct...

Joe
Posted via Mobile Device
jremig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 08:46 PM   #23
1project2many

This looks nice.

https://www.rodworx.com/shop/flush-m...license-light/

Leave the tail / license light disconnected.

Here's one that could be mounted with double sided tape or a very strong 3M glass adhesive pad. The double sided tape would also seal against light:

There are others on this page:
http://www.centurydistributing.com/e...akelights.html

The S10 Blazer / Suburban 3rd brake is ok for an exterior mount on top of cab:

Here's a neat one with some potential:

http://www.elcaminostore.com/el-cami...1959-1987.html

Here's a simple DIY that adheres to the glass:

http://www.gowesty.com/product-details.php?id=23669
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 09:24 PM   #24
Iceburgh

I had one in the rear window, bed rails and bar under tailgate
20mb image hosting
Old 02-10-2017, 03:26 PM   #25
Dan in Pasadena

Some excellent ideas exchanged, thank you to everyone!

1P2M - The ribbed chrome housing one from Rodworx is easily the one I LIKE the best, if it could be mounted below my rear window, but i don't like the idea of drilling holes in my new paint and besides, the design is sort of Art Deco era but if my truck has billet wheels it'll look out of place. Too bad, would have gone good with my truck when it looked like my avatar.

The GoWesty stick-on one seems like exactly what I'm looking for IF i can find strong, reliable black two sided tape. The photo on the site shows white tape and no way I'm going for that.

I also found an LED illuminated rear '55 Belair emblem online and though I like it I also don't think it goes with the final look I have in mind for my truck.