The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Alternate Tinkerings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-19-2009, 06:31 PM   #26
Cyclone44
Step Brother

Re: '67 Chevy II Build - Betty.

Don't get me wrong I'm not hatin' on the 250 I have 3 of them....A 327 would be sweet in that car.....
Cyclone44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 06:25 PM   #27
samwise68
FarmBoy.

George -

Don't worry, I totally gotcha. There's something about those 3 little numbers that just click with a '67.

No progress today folks. It cooled off quite a bit, so I spent the day inside. But, I'm officially on Spring Break for a week, so I definitely plan on getting out to the garage and tearing into her some more.

I'll keep you posted.

-Sam.

Quote:
Screw patina... it's a beater...Beaters are cool.
my build thread - Project Homebrew:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=242993
samwise68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 01:13 AM   #28
Jvsapp

sam how far are you from monroe? my bro lives out there and he's dealing with the cold too. i was out there almost 2 years ago to help him with his camaro.

here's some inspiration for you

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/one-...in-124420.html

that's be me taking out the lower control arm bushing.
Jvsapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 03:08 PM   #29
samwise68
FarmBoy.

Jvsapp -

I'm about 3.5-4 hours north of Monroe. And wow, you guys absolutely thrashed on that thing! good job!

I haven't made any progress on the car itself - apathy and uncooperating weather will do that. But I've started on the head for the 250, and just finished getting the valves out and bagged up.

Due to money, or rather, the lack there of, I'm probably going to use the stock sized valves for now. My goal is to have decent performance, but not break the bank in the process - not that there's much of a bank to break.

So, I figure with the higher compression, and reworking the ports, It'll still flow pretty good, and with the smaller valves, have a higher intake velocity for streetability....or atleast thats what I'm telling myself, to reassure it's the right move. haha.

I'll post pics as soon as I can, and hopefully will have some more updates that are more productive.

-Sam.

Quote:
Old 03-24-2009, 10:37 PM   #30
Jvsapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwise68 View Post
Jvsapp -

I'm about 3.5-4 hours north of Monroe. And wow, you guys absolutely thrashed on that thing! good job!

I haven't made any progress on the car itself - apathy and uncooperating weather will do that. But I've started on the head for the 250, and just finished getting the valves out and bagged up.

Due to money, or rather, the lack there of, I'm probably going to use the stock sized valves for now. My goal is to have decent performance, but not break the bank in the process - not that there's much of a bank to break.

So, I figure with the higher compression, and reworking the ports, It'll still flow pretty good, and with the smaller valves, have a higher intake velocity for streetability....or atleast thats what I'm telling myself, to reassure it's the right move. haha.

I'll post pics as soon as I can, and hopefully will have some more updates that are more productive.

-Sam.
yeah it was a whirl wind. the weather kind of threw us a loop, and his wife did too once she found out what he spent to get there. the small stuff screws etc were killing us. i think i saw more autozone, checker, farm and fleet, and Ace hardware than anything else. only the last day i was able to see some of the sights out there. but just like you i am in the same boat. small progress without breaking the bank. my nova is on hold while i try to get my daily driver back up and running.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:02 AM   #31
samwise68
FarmBoy.

Yeah, the little stuff is always what gets ya. Especially when you realize that you forgot something, and have to go all the way back to town for it...yeahhh...

Southern Wis has some pretty sites - alot of bluffs and hills. We used to drive through the southwestern corner all the time to pick up my sister from college in Iowa. A big change from the lakes and trees of up here, haha.

I'm a firm beleiver in doing as much yourself as you can. It might not be pretty, but if it's safe, and it works, that's all that matters. I guess that's what you get for living on a farm, haha.

Pics should be coming shortly, as soon as I do some more on the head.

-Sam.

Quote:
Old 03-25-2009, 03:40 PM   #32
samwise68
FarmBoy.

As promised, here are some pics of the headwork I'm starting.

The stock valves are small, but, should do the job for now.

And removed the head bolt boss in the intake. Talk about a change! Then again, when 1/3 of the port is taken up by a chunk of metal, you'll have that.

I used a jig saw with a metal cutting blade. Yeah, real high tech....and I'll take it out to the garage now, and remove some more metal with a carbide cutter on the die grinder to make the top of the port flush, and get ready to install the lump ports.

Then I'll have to drill and tap the top of the head for a pip plug, and drill a counter sink for the new shortened head bolts.

Thats where she stands now - I'm not thrilled with the progress that I'm making, but progress is progress nonetheless.

-Sam.

Quote:
Old 03-27-2009, 01:50 AM   #33
Jvsapp

what did the port look like before you removed the bolt boss?
Old 03-27-2009, 09:58 AM   #34
samwise68
FarmBoy.

I didnt take any pics of the before, but I'll see if I can find some.

ANd the best I can do at this point in time is this pic off of the the T6 racing website.

you can see in the left hand picture, the boss where the head bolt opriginally goes, and how much volume it takes up in the port in relation to the valves. It also gives you an idea of how big it was, and how it obstructed the air/fuel charge flow.

I'll keep looking, but that should help.

-Sam.

Quote:
Old 03-27-2009, 03:02 PM   #35
Jvsapp

actually looking back i see it in your engine tear down pics. i was trying to understand how you will be attaching the head once you cut them out. looking at the T6 website, i guess you are using the lump ports? do you have to plug the hole that the bolt would normally reside in?
Old 03-27-2009, 06:48 PM   #36
samwise68
FarmBoy.

The head gets attached with a short allen headed bolt at the bottom of the port, with the top hole being tapped for a pipe plug. And yes, I'll be using lump ports. The stock head flows at 177 cfm, while with a lump port, and stock size valves, it gets bumped up tp a little over 200 cfm, I beleive. Add some port work, and it'll flow pretty ok. And it'd be even better with bigger valves. But thats further down the line.

It all looks pretty easy, so, I figure what the heck. The gains are worth the risk at this point in time, in my opinion.

I have a few more tricks I want to play around with, so that'll consume some of my time. I also am sending out money for a set of springs for the rear end. Hopefully they don't take too long to get here, so I can get it mocked up, and the rear frame rails fabbed up and welded it. followed by the trunk pan. That shouldn't be too bad.

After that, I'm hoping funds accumulate, so I can get my engine bored, and start on the floor pans. After that...well. It's all down hill...I hope...

-Sam.

Quote:
Old 03-28-2009, 04:07 AM   #37
Jvsapp

that's cool. sounds like you have some experience with it. i'm debating about keeping my 194 in there or stabbing in the 283. we'll see. the springs, you are getting new leafs? mono leaf? where are you getting it from? i have wagon springs under my 4 door

Last edited by Jvsapp; 03-28-2009 at 04:07 AM.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:01 AM   #38
samwise68
FarmBoy.

Experience is a relative word...haha. I've been reading about straight 6's for about 6 years now. Following on Inliners.org and reading Santucci's book. I just never had the funds to attempt a project, or the gumption to just start cutting and hope for the best.

I used to talk to Larry Page (Twisted6) quite regularly, listening to all he had to say about his car and the motor he had torn down. Great guy to take the time and chat with a high school kid who is full of questions.

So, If I can lay down 210-230 hp, cripes, I'll be thrilled. It should be a fun little motor. Kind of a misfit, like the car itself - since it's not an SS Coupe or anything, it's also not a smallblock car.

As far as 194 vs 283 - as much as I love 6's, i think a 283 will give you better performance and drivability. My second love is low cube small blocks, so big surprise there. haha.

And yes, Mono leafs. I found them on craigslist for $55. I probably should've went with multi-leafs, but, they're rearched for +1", sand blasted, and painted, and come with bushings. I'm hoping that little bit of extra lift won't look too bad, and allow me to fit a bigger tire under it. So, just gotta get that sent out.

Hopefully today brings some more progress, I'll keep you posted.

-Sam.

Quote:
Old 04-01-2009, 07:06 PM   #39
samwise68
FarmBoy.

Alright, and finally an update. I spent the weekend with a carbide on the diegrinder, and ended up with this.

Now I just have to really clean up the ports. There is so much excess flashing and metal from the casting, it's ridiculous. But then again, it was made to be a work horse, not thoroughbred.

And a little side project, since the weather still thinks it's winter out:

And I don't feel like being in the garage in this weather at the moment, so I'm working on something else...

Yeah, that lump of clay may turn out to save me 130 bucks. Which, at this point in time, is pretty major for me, haha. I'm going to attempt to make a mold, and cast my own lumps. Will it work? Who knows. But if I try, and it works, great! If I try and it doesn't, I was out nothing but the time to do it.

So thats where it stands at the moment. I'm going to go play with it some more before doing some chem homework and such...meh. Atleast the semester is almost over, and then I have summer for this nonsense, before transfering...

And thats where she stands now. Let's hear it!

-Sam.

Quote:
Old 04-06-2009, 05:58 PM   #40
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

looks like you've got your work cut out for you...good luck...have fun... make sure when you finish you post pictures
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 11:23 AM   #41
samwise68
FarmBoy.

Well, still no real progress to report - atleast with pics.

We had a freak snow storm earilier this week, so that really put a damper on working in the garage. However, I got my front end sand blasted, at least enough to get all of the loose slaggy rust off it.

Now, I'm working on patching that up, and plating it so that it's strong.

I'm also waiting for my springs to get here, since it would seem that FedEx screwed up something fierce...they were last scanned in Ohio. Yeah. Halfway here from New York...and it's like, c'mon guys. These thigns are 5 feet long..how do you lose them~!??

-ahem-. regain my composure..

But yeah. Progress should start to clip along now. I'm burning metal, and frabricating patches, so, I'm pretty pleased.

I'll post pics as soon as I get some decent ones to show you all.

Stay tuned.

-Sam.

Quote:
Old 05-06-2009, 12:42 PM   #42
samwise68
FarmBoy.

Alright, a long overdue update.

Been working on the front clip, including the inner fender, frame rail, etc. But, for me to do the frame rail, I have to fab my bumper brackets, since I have to weld nuts on the inside of the frame rail for the bracket bolts...etc.

So, I cut the bad part of the bracket off. after bracing it with a piece of old brake line to make sure it held it's shape.

So, I traced it onto a piece of 1/8th inch steel, and cut it out. I think made it into a C-channel type piece, by welding lengths of steel on the edges, like stock.

Then I lined it up with the side brace, and welded it back on.

So, since that is done, and just needing a little finish grinding and some black paint or POR 15, now I can get going on the frame rail.

I also got the inner fender patch fabbed up. After cutting out the old rusty piece, and flattening it, I traced it onto some sheet metal. Which happened to be the old hood from my truck that I replaced after it met a tree.

Cut it out, trimmed it up, drilled the holes that are sposed to be there and put the stock strengthening ribs into it with a form and a chunk of iron stock.

Then bent the right angle lip on it, and voila.

It's not perfect, but for maybe an hour or so working on the patch, and experimenting with making the ridges, I'm pretty pleased with it. Now I just have to burn it in, and keep going on front end.

So, that's where it stands. I'll keep going as I have time, but with the end of the semester coming up, I have to get my behind in gear and get going on homework. But, soon, I'll be done for another summer, and can really start cranking on the old girl.

So, that's where she stands now.

Let's hear it!

-Sam.

Quote:
Old 05-06-2009, 10:30 PM   #43
Jvsapp

damn that's some pretty bad rust there. i wish i took a picture of the bumper brackets i have on my 63. they are basically straight from the frame horns all the way to the bumper surface, then a small 90° tab to where the bumper bolt goes.

Last edited by Jvsapp; 05-06-2009 at 10:31 PM.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:45 PM   #44
samwise68
FarmBoy.

Haha, yeahh...you should see the pile of rust under the car man. Just from closing the door, dirt and rust just falls out of every nook and cranny. It's kinda disheartening...

But, I guess thats what I get for jumping on a cheap Wisconsin car.

Ah well, it's nothing I'm not used to...

I'm hoping to get some more done tomorrow before I head to class. I got the frame rail patch about ready to go in with nuts welded to the back side for the bumper, so that'll get burnt in.

Woulda got it done tonight, but my welding helmet broke. So I spent the last hour of my night fixing the band on that, instead of welding...ah well. It happens, and I'm ready for tomorrow.

I'll keep you all posted.

-Sam.

Quote:
Old 05-07-2009, 09:52 PM   #45
dammitmitchell
the pollock

im all ready impressed..i you started with a car alot of us would hae parted out and turned into a shooting target or cube...
im watching this one good luck!
this should be interesting

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=343538
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=386042
dammitmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 11:10 AM   #46
samwise68
FarmBoy.

Haha, thanks man. I need all the support I can get.

If nothing else, it'll save the car from just rotting out and be sold for scrap. It probably won't be the most glamorous for the time being, but if I can get it back together, solid, with one color on the body and a decent motor under the hood, I'll be thrilled.

Just something I can thrash on, ya know? haha.

I'll have another update coming soon, so be prepared to be amazed! Or apalled...

-Sam.

Quote:
Old 05-26-2009, 09:23 AM   #47
samwise68
FarmBoy.

Well all, it's been a while. So it's about time for an update.

After some delays involving school, social life, and family tragedies, I'm finally getting back to work on the ol' girl.

I was given a different front clip from a guy in Iowa who is switching to aftermarket. So, as soon as I can scrape some money together for gas, I'll make the trip down there with the parental units. It's only like a 6 or 7 hour trip one way, so I'm not too worried about it. Plus it's set up for discs, with new pads, lines...other new brake components..and all I should have to do is replace the motor mounts since he had a big block in it. Incredibley minor compared to the task I was getting ready to undertake. haha.

So, now comes the back end of the car. Since I was essentially bent over by fedex, and they lost the monoleafs I bought, I have to find different springs. Or, I may go a different route, depending on how easily everything fits in there...I'll update more on that little side project as it progresses, haha.

Otherwise, no new pics or anything amazing. Hopefully soon. But, until then, you all know where she stands.

-Sam.

Quote:
Old 05-26-2009, 02:36 PM   #48
Jvsapp

scoring a complete front end is awesome. that'll save you some work. just make sure when you bolt it up you keep all the shims and do the measurements(cross measurements) when lining it back up. make sure it's all square in there.

also HOW the hell can fedex loose a pair of 40lb leaf? i mean. WTF.... maybe the guy you are getting the front end from went with a 4 link rear and still has his?

either way, keep up with the progress. once you get it rolling you'll enjoy the fruits of your labor.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:43 PM   #49
samwise68
FarmBoy.

Thats what I said! (about the springs). It's like..really guys? So, somewhere between Rhinelander, Wisconsin, and Grove City, Ohio, there are a pair of monoleafs...pretty dang ridiculous...

And I plan on asking the guy with the front end if he has some rear end bits. If not, I may just say "Eff it", and go with a truck trailing arm rear end. I have all the parts, so, in theory. It'd just be fabrication...Yeah, I'm pipe dreaming. haha.

I'll keep you posted, for sure.

-Sam.

Quote:
Old 05-27-2009, 03:30 AM   #50
Jvsapp

truck trailing arm setup???? man now you talking hotrods to hell setup. that'll handle very nicely. i was giving it some more thought about the front end you are getting. if it had a BBC, the motor mounts are same as SBC. but the inner fenders may have been hacked up for the headers. and if he went with an aftermarket setup(heidts, TCI, etc) possibly he might have taken the core support as those don't come with one and you would need to reuse it.

either way take lots of pics. and keep us posted