The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-27-2016, 04:29 PM   #1
old51sedan

Gas tank filler

Not sure if I'm in the right place. Have a 69 Short box step side, have already bought a new gas tank for the rear with the side fill. Because of the fact that it's a SS I don't have as much metal on the side for the gas filler. I'm thinking I could cut one out of a vehicle in the bone yard with extra metal and install in front of the marker light on the left rear fender (tight fit) or possibly use the marker light hole. By this I mean to install it on a hinge, open it and have the fill behind it. Has anyone got any other ideas and/or pictures of how they did theirs.
old51sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 08:39 AM   #2
old51sedan

Re: Gas tank filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by old51sedan View Post
Not sure if I'm in the right place. Have a 69 Short box step side, have already bought a new gas tank for the rear with the side fill. Because of the fact that it's a SS I don't have as much metal on the side for the gas filler. I'm thinking I could cut one out of a vehicle in the bone yard with extra metal and install in front of the marker light on the left rear fender (tight fit) or possibly use the marker light hole. By this I mean to install it on a hinge, open it and have the fill behind it. Has anyone got any other ideas and/or pictures of how they did theirs.
Come on guys, I know someone out there has done this and/or seen it done. Anyone got any ideas?
Old 08-30-2016, 12:23 PM   #3
mmiddle

There is some that have done the flip-open filler neck. Do a search. Some guys have used cut-outs from other cars/trucks, some have fabed up marker lights, some have used the tail lights. All the info is on the board, you are not blazing new ground.
2014 2SS/RS black on black Camaro (Betty)
2006 Pontiac SOLSTICE silver/black (Lula-Bell)
1970 C/10 Short Wide (Peggy)
1964 C/10 Short Step (Hambone)
RIP Jimmy Hamilton Thank you for the trucks
mmiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 10:07 PM   #4
Dustytrix

I am going to put one in my rear fender, 67. But going to put it on rear of fender near the top, its kinda flat there. I decided to use a kool,cap. It should fit flush. Just another idea.
Dustytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 08:28 AM   #5
old51sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustytrix View Post
I am going to put one in my rear fender, 67. But going to put it on rear of fender near the top, its kinda flat there. I decided to use a kool,cap. It should fit flush. Just another idea.
Thanks guys for the responses. I have been looking in the past threads and posts, but no one goes into much detail or has that many pictures. I'm thinking seriously of putting a gas tank door in the side of my fender and using a ford one that uses no gas cap. Think my chevy would still run after using ford parts?
Old 09-05-2016, 10:09 PM   #6
notsolo

Not mine, Different idea putting filler on the inside... http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=469428
notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 09:10 PM   #7
1malo68

I installed my blazer tank with the filler towards the passenger side. I got a filler neck for a 1955 chevy truck and cut a hole on the inside of the bed, made some brackets to weld the filler neck to the notched inner bed wall on the passenger side. I went to Pep Boys and bought a locking fuel door that I liked and installed it in the outer bed. Bought a fuel filler neck cover from LMC (PN# 32-3329) for $39.99 to cover where I had cut the hole for the filler neck. Got some FUEL filler line and tied itinto the tank......VIOLA!!!
Attached Images

1malo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 09:12 PM   #8
1malo68

Completed
Attached Images

1malo68 is offline   Reply With Quote