The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-28-2016, 08:29 AM   #1
Project86

aftermarket Carb vs. DIY build 750-850cfm

are there any cost benefits to purchasing a ready to run carb versus building your own?

looking for a 750 dp with no choke, mechanical secondaries down leg boosters

would it be easier to purchase a 3310 style carb for cheap online, replace the main body with something like a proform or equivalent?

what style holley carb should I be looking at?

carb will be on top of a 11.4:1 aluminum headed 383 stroker with a brodix HV1800 intake. custom grind cam. forged internals.
Project86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 05:12 PM   #2
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

Re: aftermarket Carb vs. DIY build 750-850cfm

Used to be.... (famous old words hu!) Shops like Prosystems build a carb SPECIFIC TO YOUR PILE OF PARTS, and then wet flowed it on a custom bench, and live tested it on a mule motor he had just for live testing carbs before it went ou tth edoor. I've heard rumor of late Patrick has grown to a point the individual service for EVERY customer has slipped by the way side. But the old customers and long time friends still get the RIGHT carb. If yu call and talk to Patrick, and give him somewhat free reins on building the quickest carb he can for you,, he still serves up the BESTdamn carb out there. I've had a Braswell that I have to admit was a good carb, but Patrick at Prosystems still has my vote. Just don't call with general specs and asking about a 'shelf stock' carb,, cause that's what you'll get. But throw down the $'s to get a custom carb, wet flowed and dyno tested, set up for YOUR bucket of bolts and at YOUR general DA,, you'll get a super nice piece.

That said,, IF you have data logging and wideband O2,, you can build and set up a carb cheaper than yu can buy. Only makes sense right?? Guys like Patrick with an engineering degree in a field directly related to the flow of air and fuel,,, ought to get paid for their expertise. If you don't want to pay for that experience and expertise,, you get a mechanic that knows how to bolt parts on.... Or worse a phone jockey on the end of the phone line at a big mail order parts house that will recommend something,,, not necessarily knowing 'why'.

That all sounds kind of negative,, but honestly just trying to point out to think about what your paying for.

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 10:41 PM   #3
hotrod 80
mini truck racer

I have had good luck with Dan Davinci . He is local to me , so I can hold him accountable . That being said . I have also had good luck with older Demon box carbs tuned to my application ( Marv wont like this) . Most custom builders will get you within 2 jets and you finish it out with your O2 readings .
1978 Chevy Luv Blue
1976 Chevy Luv Black
1979 Firebird Flooded in Harvey
1999 F350 Dually
2005 GMC Sierra 4.8 RCSB
2014 Explorer (wifes)

My build :http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=399148

Build #2: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=653583
hotrod 80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 09:52 AM   #4
Project86

Well no data logging or wideband as of yet
Mainly all I'm waiting on is the rest of my ignition to get in.
And wire everything in.
It used to have a Gary Williams carb sitting on top. But previous owner is keeping it. So I'm open to options.
Old 08-29-2016, 10:18 AM   #5
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

When I was racing I was lucky to have a local carb guy here in the PNW that was well known to build great Holley carbs. Again, it was back in the day before all of "race ready" carbs were available at the click of a mouse. Hell, a mouse was a SBC! You'd go buy a 3310 from Super Shops, drop it off at my carb guy, and have a full on race ready carb in 2 weeks. Choke horn milled off, bowls blended, downleg boosters, 4150 rear metering block installed, rear jet extensions and new floats, 4 corner idle circuit, monkey with the air bleeds, etc., etc.

He finally retired from building and servicing race carbs about 8 years ago. But there are some of his loyal customers (like me) that he will still build carbs for out of his home shop. I just had him build me another carb for my truck this past spring. So I feel very fortunate to have him still available to me. He has taught me a lot about Holley carbs and also engine building over the years.

Some of my buddies that are still in the racing game and also some of my hot rod buddies think I'm crazy to still have a stock Holley built buy a carb guy instead of bolting on a Quick Fuel of a Holley HP. But... this cat builds a mean carb and his services cost me about the exact same (including the cost of the carb) as a direct bolt on. But when I was racing and needed a bit of help in the pits, he was available for free to come see what I needed. He was always at the track and always helping customers dial in their rigs. That local service isn't available from QF of Holley. Also, if there was a problem, I could take the carb back and the turn around time was toot-sweet. No boxing it up and sending it halfway across the country. So, call me nostalgic or whatever... but I'll continue to use a local guy until the services are no longer available to me.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 12:33 PM   #6
Project86

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
When I was racing I was lucky to have a local carb guy here in the PNW that was well known to build great Holley carbs. Again, it was back in the day before all of "race ready" carbs were available at the click of a mouse. Hell, a mouse was a SBC! You'd go buy a 3310 from Super Shops, drop it off at my carb guy, and have a full on race ready carb in 2 weeks. Choke horn milled off, bowls blended, downleg boosters, 4150 rear metering block installed, rear jet extensions and new floats, 4 corner idle circuit, monkey with the air bleeds, etc., etc.

He finally retired from building and servicing race carbs about 8 years ago. But there are some of his loyal customers (like me) that he will still build carbs for out of his home shop. I just had him build me another carb for my truck this past spring. So I feel very fortunate to have him still available to me. He has taught me a lot about Holley carbs and also engine building over the years.

Some of my buddies that are still in the racing game and also some of my hot rod buddies think I'm crazy to still have a stock Holley built buy a carb guy instead of bolting on a Quick Fuel of a Holley HP. But... this cat builds a mean carb and his services cost me about the exact same (including the cost of the carb) as a direct bolt on. But when I was racing and needed a bit of help in the pits, he was available for free to come see what I needed. He was always at the track and always helping customers dial in their rigs. That local service isn't available from QF of Holley. Also, if there was a problem, I could take the carb back and the turn around time was toot-sweet. No boxing it up and sending it halfway across the country. So, call me nostalgic or whatever... but I'll continue to use a local guy until the services are no longer available to me.

Gary
I always prefer to shop and do business with locals!! That's what it's all about!!