The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-12-2008, 12:00 PM   #26
The Big Green

Re: Having a shop bag my '67, but need help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazooka View Post
Best quote I got for the bag install was $1,500 LABOR only

I was also quoted by a guy who does it out of his garage and he only wanted $1,500 to bag my truck with a Z included. I supply the parts. He was to far away and just wouldnt work out for me...
$1500 was my best quote, they can legally go over a quote, 15% here in Arkansas, may be the same, may be different in other areas.

The guy that does it out of his garage is only like 5 more miles, and $500 cheaper. He also will let me come over, and maybe learn a little something on bags. I try to read all I can, but sometimes its better to see. I think he would do the Z, and bag for $1500. I think I'll wait on the Z.
The Big Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 12:33 PM   #27
Shane
Account Suspended

I'm pretty sure I would feel more confident spending my $1,500 on one of the proven bolt-in units sold by the vendors here on the board and KNOW I got a safe system under my truck versus giving it to some guy with a welder and an Oxy/Acetylene torch that calls himself a fabricator/custom builder working out of a 2 car garage attached to a ranch-style house.

But that's just me.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 12:51 PM   #28
The Big Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
I'm pretty sure I would feel more confident spending my $1,500 on one of the proven bolt-in units sold by the vendors here on the board and KNOW I got a safe system under my truck versus giving it to some guy with a welder and an Oxy/Acetylene torch that calls himself a fabricator/custom builder working out of a 2 car garage attached to a ranch-style house.

But that's just me.
LOL, He's a very well known fabricator here in the area, and he's charging a LOT less than $1500, or what the bolt-on run. I'm sorry, I'd love to "squeeze from my nose" $100 bills, but for now, I'll take the guy working out of his ranch style home

But thats just me

Last edited by Shane; 11-12-2008 at 02:44 PM. Reason: watch the language please
Old 11-12-2008, 01:10 PM   #29
scotts62
One day...

93 crew cab build
Project 62
scotts62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 02:40 PM   #30
Shane
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Green View Post
LOL, He's a very well known fabricator here in the area, and he's charging a LOT less than $1500, or what the bolt-on run. I'm sorry, I'd love to **** out $100 bills, but for now, I'll take the guy working out of his ranch style home

But thats just me
Sounds like you have made your decision ... good luck with it.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:59 PM   #31
The Big Green

HAHAHA... sorry about the S word. I like what you added in, but Butt would be better...lol Won't happen again.

I think we were talking about 2 different things Shane. I'm not buying anything, its a Z'ed frame. I'd love to buy a dropmember, but they are way outta my range.

Thanks for all of your help guys, I apprecaite it, but a $1000 is not bad to install bags.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:24 PM   #32
Shane
Account Suspended

Actually we are talking about the same thing ... but it really doesn't matter at this point.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:41 PM   #33
Bazooka
Keepin it old school

Quote:

But that's just me.
The guy that quoted me the $1,500 for the bags and Z is a professional fabricator/certified welder that worked at a hotrod shop. The shop he worked at did bag installs. He got laid off and is working out of his home and thinking of opening his own shop. not just "some guy" Plus he's really into these chevy trucks. owns a couple himself. I believe hes a member here.

Last edited by Bazooka; 11-12-2008 at 04:44 PM.
Bazooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 05:29 PM   #34
Shane
Account Suspended

That's cool Bazooka ... what's your point?

P.S. Didn't you buy a SD crossmember?

Last edited by Shane; 11-12-2008 at 05:30 PM.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:07 PM   #35
Bazooka
Keepin it old school

Quote:
That's cool Bazooka ... what's your point?

P.S. Didn't you buy a SD crossmember?
Just that not everyone doing work out of there garage are complete hacks.

Yes I did order a SD crossmember. I just couldnt justify doing a Z when they had such a good introductory offer going in Oct. Plus it's just a all around better way to go about it

Last edited by Bazooka; 11-12-2008 at 07:11 PM.
Bazooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 08:20 PM   #36
SantanaCustoms

I would recommend to save your money and get what you want so it is all done at once. I have had a show truck that was bagged 4 different times and then bodydropped. It was definitely not worth the extra cash. Do your research and ask questions so you have a good understanding of what you are putting on your truck. The last thing you want is something to go wrong and not know what the issue could be.

I think it pays to get top quality parts such as a Dropmember and a nice 4 link in the rear. Just my opinion from experience on bagged vehicles.
SantanaCustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 09:22 PM   #37
Shane
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazooka View Post
Yes I did order a SD crossmember. I just couldnt justify doing a Z when they had such a good introductory offer going in Oct. Plus it's just a all around better way to go about it
Thank you. My point exactly.
Old 11-13-2008, 02:59 AM   #38
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

The Big Green,... Are you going to have a running/driveable truck when it rolls out of this guys shop? A "Z'd" front frame requires alot of changes. The tranny mount will have to be raised. (linkage will have to be adapted) The floor of the cab will have to have a new hump/tunnel. All brake lines and fuel lines will have to be re-routed and/or lengthened. Exhaust need to be re-done. Steering linkage from the column needs to be addressed along with possible borgeson joints added. ($$$) Just wondered why your dead set on a "Z"?

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 08:16 PM   #39
The Big Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post
The Big Green,... Are you going to have a running/driveable truck when it rolls out of this guys shop? A "Z'd" front frame requires alot of changes. The tranny mount will have to be raised. (linkage will have to be adapted) The floor of the cab will have to have a new hump/tunnel. All brake lines and fuel lines will have to be re-routed and/or lengthened. Exhaust need to be re-done. Steering linkage from the column needs to be addressed along with possible borgeson joints added. ($$$) Just wondered why your dead set on a "Z"?
He knows what all need to be done, he has a early '80 burb on a Z, laying out on 22's. He does'nt know how much Z I need on this truck, but he knows what he's doing. I just want it for money reasons, NO dropmember in my budget.