The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-03-2013, 06:28 PM   #51
Big Rat

Re: Big Rat's 1979 C10 High School Hot Rod Restooo

When it really comes down to it anything old is cool. Old stuff has class and craftsmanship in it. IMO you can't get a new car with that kind of hands on ingenuity. At some point, it always seems like there is chrome plated plastic or fake wood grain to spoil it. Old is genuine no matter who made it.

'69 C20 - Grandpa's 'ol truck
'70 Nova - Birthday present from the wife. She's a KEEPER!
'79 C10 - High school hot rod, BUILD THREAD
Big Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:57 PM   #52
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

To be a steering wheel holder, you seem pretty okay.

Im very glad to hear your acceptance of the Ford. I get so worn thin by folks who poo poo on other brands. I'm a freakin car guy. Hard core, through and through. I'll build anything that I can get my hands on. Sounds like you do to.

Posted via Mobile Device
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:58 PM   #53
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

I was kidding with the crack about being a steering wheel holder. That's a majority of my job too.
Posted via Mobile Device
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:18 PM   #54
Big Rat

I pride myself on my wheel steering abilities! You've still got me beat though, you play with fire and steer wheels. If I see fire while steering wheels, something has gone terribly wrong!

When it comes down to it, put wheels on something, scratch that. Make something that moves, and at some point someone will and should hot rod it! Radio Flyer red wagon anyone?!

Old 04-05-2013, 07:07 PM   #55
pwradder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Rat View Post
When it really comes down to it anything old is cool. Old stuff has class and craftsmanship in it. IMO you can't get a new car with that kind of hands on ingenuity. At some point, it always seems like there is chrome plated plastic or fake wood grain to spoil it. Old is genuine no matter who made it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
To be a steering wheel holder, you seem pretty okay.

Im very glad to hear your acceptance of the Ford. I get so worn thin by folks who poo poo on other brands. I'm a freakin car guy. Hard core, through and through. I'll build anything that I can get my hands on. Sounds like you do to.

Posted via Mobile Device
you guy's hit it right on! i used to have a '79 bronco and i'd love to have another, i'd be all over that highboy too. btw, lovin' the build and looking foward to updates.
1977 srw cc lb 396/700r/4:11's/6'' bds lift/ 35's. sold
1986 suburban 350/700r/3:73's 31's: parted out.
1980 silverado swb 5.3/700r/ 2'' drop/ daily driver. sold
1985 c10 long bed 5.3/700r/2'' drop/17" wheels/ daily driver. sold
1970 c10 long bed-new project! getting ready for the 6.0
pwradder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:07 PM   #56
Big Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwradder View Post
you guy's hit it right on! i used to have a '79 bronco and i'd love to have another, i'd be all over that highboy too. btw, lovin' the build and looking foward to updates.
Those old Broncos are so keeewwwl!!! I want that Highboy but at the moment I'm going to have to be patient. I just don't have the funds for it, recovering from "winter construction slow down". It's not going anywhere, luckily. He's on the fence about selling it, so I have time. "On the fence" what does that even mean?! When I can't decide on something, I don't have the urge to climb a fence! Do you?! Took me a minute to figure out yer name. At first I was sitting here sounding out, "poo radder, pwa radder, pew radder, puh wa radder?" then I prayed and pondered and realized I'm a goon and could see "POWER ADDER!!!!!" My mom used to hit my head on the wall when she'd walk around corners while holding me when I was a baby, no big deal!
Well, I have to put the door wiring harness and outside and inside door panels back on the 'peoples car'. Stupid window stopped working and I am sick of when I get in the car. I try not to use the A/C, it screws with my fuel mileage. Yeah, it's a diesel. Then I have to draw my front yard and take it so a certified guy with a doctorate in sprinkling system engineering fabrication and creation and layout and design so he can feng-shui my front yard. Then I can hopefully get into the garage and get the rear end pulled out! I need the HF super coupon so I can get more 6 ton jack stands for three bucks!!!

Old 04-06-2013, 11:43 PM   #57
Big Rat

Well got two and a half things done that I wanted to get done today. Didn't make it to the lawn watering apparatus design scientist, because the truck was willing me to work on it. Who am I to argue?! Todays destruction is brought to you in part by;

Because my dad is freakin awesome and used this stuff on the hanger and shackle eye bolts last time we had it apart!!!

Also supported by my sponsor;

Been drenching bolts since I began this. Didn't even have to fire up the compressor for all this! Would've took longer to air up and get the required gizzies out than just spinning this lubed up junk off with the ratcheto! Now for the pics!!!
This is where we left off last time.

Now back to that brake line! Lets see how resilient you are after soaking for a week and with a couple of my more persuasive tools!

HA! I WIN !!!

Uh oh, the ratchet won't fit! What do I do? Guess it"s time for some frame cuttin to make room for the ratchet!

Just kidding! I remember what I once saw on the Red Green Show, just put the ratchet on the other end! Pulled the first bolt and this where I called my dad to tell him what a bad @$$ he is!!! Never Seize!!! Props to the guy that has taught me everything I know and never fails to surprise and amaze me with his endless little tricks and knowledge! My role model!

Oh, now this is classic and I wish I would have been filming this! Popped the shock off and the top half flew off like the cork to a champagne bottle commemorating the removal of the rear end! It flew about and inch like a crappy bottle rocket!!! It made my night.

I'm thinkin this is about how steep the rake will be when it's all said and done!

Uh oh! Storm coming in quick! Gotta beat this sucker and get the rear end out and the parts back in the garage!

Made it!

And some beater love!

And my Christmas lights that are still up! Getting a jump on my neighbors for next Christmas!

As I stated earlier in the build, thanks to a younger me for buying the good stuff the first time! Quality parts by Belltech.

The evening ended here

With the consumption of this

Hell yeah for being an American! What a good life! Thanks for the read fellas! Oh and gals too, if any be lurkin.

Old 04-07-2013, 11:11 AM   #58
THE "10" SILVERADO

Your front end is watching you.....
Attached Images

Old 04-07-2013, 06:29 PM   #59
Big Rat

and you say I'm the humorous one! I figured the first comment back would be about the grinder picture. You can see the cord down by my left leg.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 04-07-2013, 11:49 PM   #60
bluex

You're suppose to take Christmas lights down?????
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
bluex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:41 AM   #61
Big Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluex View Post
You're suppose to take Christmas lights down?????
Apparently that's what all the hip kids do nowa days! I'm not hip or with it as to the jive ways of society. Oh and just noticed in your sig that your truck is a lwb to swb transformer... I'm thinkin I might have to pick your brain like Hannibal Lector for my upcoming '69 build.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 04-08-2013, 02:08 AM   #62
bluex

There are a few threads on it in the 67-72 section. They are a completely different animal from the 73-87. You do these right behind the cab an take out 14". On a 67-72 you have to do it under the cab an it's 12" i think. Stacy David just did a 67-72 recently on gears. Took him 15 mins!
Posted via Mobile Device
bluex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:11 AM   #63
Low Elco

Ummm.... Daily beater be needin' the headlight love, man! Woof!

Great work! Off to the blaster next?
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:48 AM   #64
Big Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluex View Post
There are a few threads on it in the 67-72 section. They are a completely different animal from the 73-87. You do these right behind the cab an take out 14". On a 67-72 you have to do it under the cab an it's 12" i think. Stacy David just did a 67-72 recently on gears. Took him 15 mins!
Yeah, I've been gathering info on it for a while. I was hoping you had some secret truck magic you could share, but that's okay. Its 12 removed just behind the rear cab mounts and 8 removed from the rear for a total of 20 inches. Lots of good threads on here to make one, such as myself, sound more smarter about things n stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Ummm.... Daily beater be needin' the headlight love, man! Woof!

Great work! Off to the blaster next?
Oh that little beast will be getting the royal treatment on them ther headlights! I just barely put the trans back in it and still have to get it registered.

With the frame I still have a couple little things to get removed. I'm thinkin I'm going to remove the crossmember before I can decide what I'm doing. I'm on a very VERY tight budget as work is just picking up for the season, so the little things, suspension and so on, will get blasted, but I'm going to see how far i can get on the frame with oven degreaser, a pressure sprayer, and a wire wheel. I don't mind the time consumption it will involve, especially if it saves me some money to spend else where.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 04-08-2013, 11:54 AM   #65
Low Elco

If you're on a budget, tractor enamel with added hardener from Tractor Supply works awesome for frames. Red primer in a bomb and shoot the black. Nice nice.
Posted via Mobile Device
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:16 PM   #66
Big Rat

I had looked at the tractor paint but then the POR caught my eye. Obviously I'm not totally set in my ways but I am by no means a painter so the brush on application and self leveling of the POR is an advantage for me. As with anything the prep is the key. Plus, I already invested the $0.87 in the sponge brushes so I'm already committed!
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 04-08-2013, 09:07 PM   #67
rusty76

0.87 cents just for one brush or is that the whole lot........?lol.
My build thread
Crossmembers CC
rusty76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:18 PM   #68
77ChevySharkBite

I've been keeping up with the build as everyone has stated, you've brought humor into your thread, and well reason why I haven't commented is because my work computer only works for certain pictures, I don't understand it but I just looked at this whole thread, it's looking awesome man!!! definitely looking forward to more pictures and more laughs no doubt!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

77 C10 Silverado Sharkbite LWB Build
67 Chevy C10 Frame Off
06 Dodge Magnum 2.7v6 aka swag wag!
2010 Honda Accord 2.4I4 DD aka Liquid Metal
77ChevySharkBite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:56 PM   #69
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Diggin it all but your choice in beer. That's more like recycled beer.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:38 PM   #70
Big Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty76 View Post
0.87 cents just for one brush or is that the whole lot........?lol.
It was a four pack from Wal-Mart and it was a bounce back special and the little yellow smiley face was knocking down the price so I just had to have it! It says they are all natural on the package. Made from real sponge and real handle! Seemed too good to be true, but it is what it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77ChevySharkBite View Post
I've been keeping up with the build as everyone has stated, you've brought humor into your thread, and well reason why I haven't commented is because my work computer only works for certain pictures, I don't understand it but I just looked at this whole thread, it's looking awesome man!!! definitely looking forward to more pictures and more laughs no doubt!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Well thank you very much for the added support. Knowing I have people watching and waiting actually feeds my motivation. So thank you to you all Stupid computers! You know, even if you can only view half the stuff, causing your response to not make any sense to the rest of us, just remember, if you poop in a bucket, you better have a pile of gravel to play on. See! I don't make any sense either. Ever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUISER View Post
Diggin it all but your choice in beer. That's more like recycled beer.
Yeah I know. I'm just trying to do my part for the beer environment. It's cheap and not quite as bad as some of the others and just kinda hits the spot when you want to chug something bubbly. Not to mention, money saved on beer, is more money for the truck, so in theory, by not drinking cheap crap beer you are essentially drinking your parts! See! Still making no sense!
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 04-08-2013, 11:46 PM   #71
Billy81

Hey cheap beer is better than not having any beer at all.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:30 AM   #72
THE "10" SILVERADO

Root beer is cheaper and doesn't taste like liquid death. Beat that, I should be rollin in the dough right now!
Old 04-09-2013, 01:48 AM   #73
Fw190d9

From one Evan to another, Great work and awesome humor. I think I spit some XX onto my monitor reading your posts. Cheers from down south Tx.

Evan Q.
Fw190d9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:34 AM   #74
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Rat View Post
Yeah I know. I'm just trying to do my part for the beer environment. It's cheap and not quite as bad as some of the others and just kinda hits the spot when you want to chug something bubbly. Not to mention, money saved on beer, is more money for the truck, so in theory, by not drinking cheap crap beer you are essentially drinking your parts! See! Still making no sense!
Posted via Mobile Device
I've thought about that and have decided those parts sure do taste good.

Looking forward to the updates.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:03 PM   #75
Big Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy81 View Post
Hey cheap beer is better than not having any beer at all.
You are a very very wise man. That's like one of those Confusious sayings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE "10" SILVERADO View Post
Root beer is cheaper and doesn't taste like liquid death. Beat that, I should be rollin in the dough right now!
Water is free-er! Wait, the real mystery is... How do you know what beer tastes like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fw190d9 View Post
From one Evan to another, Great work and awesome humor. I think I spit some XX onto my monitor reading your posts. Cheers from down south Tx.

Evan Q.
Thanks! With a name like that, you must have a killer personality! Do you have troubles with constant relentless never ending hordes of ladies mauling you too?! Guess it's our burden to bear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUISER View Post
I've thought about that and have decided those parts sure do taste good.
Taking that quote out of context makes it funny as hell!
Posted via Mobile Device