The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-16-2013, 02:08 AM   #326
NEWFISHER

Re: Danny Boy is BAACK! w/ '55 Big Window

Dan, your build is comming along great. I replaced all leaf packs, shacles, bushings etc on the burb and couldn't be happier, it rides super smooth. I get comments from passengers that they can not believe its a straight axle rig. I think you are money and time ahead buying all new even though it seems spendy now.
Posted via Mobile Device
NEWFISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:46 PM   #327
Dan in Pasadena

Yeah, I'm leaning toward just biting the bullet and paying the $1200. I wonder if there's a % off sale upcoming or anything?

Of course this makes me think "I'm 1/2 way to the price of an IFS system" but then I think do I really want that? I tussle with the question constantly and I usually remember that I'd have to buy a tilt column, arrange (pay) for a qualified welder, get a PS pump & brackets...the whole "slippery slope" thing.

Where if I get this kit it can all be done by me in the driveway in a weekend...or three! I'd better start counting my pennies. I'll have to buy a king pin rebuild kit & caster shims. I already have a CPP front disc kit so that means I need the frame mount dual master cylinder & bracket. And of course new lines, bender, flaring tool, clips, yada, yada. Makes my wallet hurt just thinking of it all!
Posted via Mobile Device
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:11 PM   #328
dubie

i hear ya bud, I just bought and installed all the parts you listed. And you're right, for the money I have invested in a dropped solid axle truck, I could have bought and installed a IFS from hub to hub. But, I wanted the nostalgic look and feel to it, that's the only reason I decided on the solid axle route.

My 56 Chevy shop truck build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=562795
dubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 02:12 PM   #329
Clarance J

Hello Dan. On my 55 when I took the springs a part to clean and paint them I saw that at each end of the springs was rubbing on the bottom of the one above it. From the factory the springs are sheared and stacked and the ends are not cleaned up. I just took a grinder and put a small radius on each end and with poly liner it rides much better. By the way, Great truck you have there.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:30 PM   #330
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubie View Post
.,,But, I wanted the nostalgic look and feel to it, that's the only reason I decided on the solid axle route.
Yeah, I don't think there's any reasonable person that would argue the straight axle is as comfortable or can be MADE as comfortable as IFS. But these trucks are truly OLD now. They're approaching 60 years. You don't see guys with hi boys running IFS; well extremely few. They've got dropped axles, split bones, hairpins, transverse rear springs, etc. they make the original suspension work as well as it can be made to. This is always my thought when I think of IFS.

ClaranceJ, Hadn't ever thought of the fact that the leaves are probably sheared and had a sharp edge. I definitely plan to use the Teflon between leaves. Chamfering the edges is an excellent tip, thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-16-2013, 02:34 PM   #331
Dan in Pasadena

Dubie, did you use a dropped axle AND lowering springs? I ask cause I notice the front spring pack (not monoleaf) says you can get a 2.5" lower spring for our trucks.

My thought was to start with that (to minimize $$ outlay to start) but if I want it lower; and I probably will, I could add a 2 or 3" dropped axle from Sid's afterward.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-16-2013, 02:56 PM   #332
dubie

yep, I'm running 3" dropped axle and 3" drop mono leafs up front with a 6" drop reversed eye mono leaf in the rear. You can buy Posies that are a multi pack leaf spring that lowers the truck 2 - 2.5 inches

My 56 Chevy shop truck build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=562795
dubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:51 PM   #333
Dan in Pasadena

Did you go with the modified drag link & whatever to minimize bump steer? If so, does it steer ok?

I know about Posie's Super Sliders but I like the POL kit above and with the poly liners ill get the same result - easily sliding springs.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-16-2013, 09:03 PM   #334
Dan in Pasadena

I painted the backside of the front bumper today after letting the Rust Reformer dry a couple days. I used Rustoleum Hammered in silver. Only one coat and it covered great.

I really do like this stuff. I'll let it dry a couple days and it'll be rock hard.

Contrasted to what it looked like before and it's a night and day difference:

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 03-16-2013 at 09:10 PM.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:28 PM   #335
Dan in Pasadena

Also, I just didn't like the mint look of the Rustoleum Sage - it's a complete misnomer. In gloss it really looks great but in the satin its an entirely different color, not at all like the gloss.

Not sure how clear this photo will show it but I stopped mid re-paint to show the new color I chose, Rustoleum Oregano in satin vs. the other side in "Sage." I like it a lot. Almost an army type green.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:17 PM   #336
Clarance J

Hello Dan. Just an attempt at humor here. Maybe you could make a commercial for Rustoleum and help finance parts for your truck. My choice of color is in the yellow spectrum. I use a bunch of that paint brand myself. It works for me. Now when ever I go to the store to buy more paint I'll see your truck. Its turning out real nice.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:34 PM   #337
Dan in Pasadena

Thanks Clarance. I'm under no illusion that Rustoleum is an automotive level paint - it's clearly not. But I think it's a very good paint for the DIY'er like me while I'm putting my truck together and before I (eventually) blow it all apart for its final paint - yes, I know it will have to be stripped to bare metal. But it would have anyway.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:31 AM   #338
Clarance J

Hello again Dan. I'd like to apologize to you for that remark I made. It was dumb and I apologize.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:31 AM   #339
Kim57

Looking good.
I'm happy with the Rustoleum on my frame so far. Hopefully it lasts longer than me.
Kim
Old 03-17-2013, 02:10 AM   #340
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarance J View Post
Hello again Dan. I'd like to apologize to you for that remark I made. It was dumb and I apologize.
Ha ha...no need. I knew you were joking. Hell, if I COULD get... well, any company to pay me to endorse a product in exchange for money to work on my truck I'd probably say ANYthing!
Old 03-17-2013, 11:47 AM   #341
focusedontheprize

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarance J View Post
Hello Dan. Just an attempt at humor here. Maybe you could make a commercial for Rustoleum and help finance parts for your truck. My choice of color is in the yellow spectrum. I use a bunch of that paint brand myself. It works for me. Now when ever I go to the store to buy more paint I'll see your truck. Its turning out real nice.

Haha Clarance J I found this actually pretty funny. I always get a kick out of going to Home Depot and grabbing these cans by the cart full. Dan I am thinking you and I could do the commercial - one for a Task Force and one for an AD. I'll be honest, on my '49 I am putting together I used Rustoleum for a ton of it (frame, parts, interior, etc) and I think it is good stuff.

Funny what else we have bought at Home Depot/Lowes for our trucks. Just snagged that ducting I am going to use for sound deadner in the cab. "How many pipes are you looking to cover sir?" Eh well buddy it is actually the whole inside of a truck....haha
Posted via Mobile Device
focusedontheprize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:34 PM   #342
Dan in Pasadena

Yeah, I admit to using more rattle can stuff than I probably should by some guys standards. By MY standards, I'm doing this truck a solid! Lol. It was totally neglected and pounded on for decades.

It'd probably have been headed for the crusher soon if I'd not come along and dropped some serious coin (for my budget) on fixing all the electrical, fluids, filters, belts, hoses, plugs, Pertronix, rims & tires, yada, yada.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-17-2013, 07:45 PM   #343
Dan in Pasadena

Pix upcoming.

Today I did a bunch of small stuff. Removed signals (they're trashed) and headlights/buckets. Wire wheeled those and gave them the Rustoleum "treatment" - red oxide primer and semi gloss black in & out.

Used OOO steel wool on the pecky headlight trim rings, then chrome polish. I'm gonna have to get new signals & lenses, gaskets for them & the headlight buckets. The rubber grommets into the buckets were hard as rock. Gotta be replaced then I'll have to splice in the sockets. But I may just get new ones as the leads are also rock hard.

Inside my fenders looks like ass but they probably lasted with no rust-through because it looks like someone undercoated in there a loong time back. Peeling now, but saved the metal. Gonna TRY a 3M wheel or wire wheel on it. If it come off clean? Rust Reformer followed by....wait for it....Rustoleum rubberized undercoating! Lol.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-17-2013, 09:25 PM   #344
Clarance J

Yeah, last year I bought the large family size box of yada-yada and am still paying for it. That stuff sure adds up fast. But ya gotta do it.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:03 PM   #345
Dan in Pasadena

I'm currently contemplating the "large family size box" of suspension parts.

Here's some pix of today's work:

She got stripped down and got some face paint. Oregano is the color.

An example of how EVERYTHING under my truck looks in it's "BEFORE" condition:

AFTER :
Old 03-17-2013, 10:22 PM   #346
Dan in Pasadena

The headlight trim rings are pecky, but not TOO bad for a weekend driver:

Before:

After:

Can't exactly see them, but there are much heavier "pecks" under the eyebrow of the trim ring:
Old 03-17-2013, 10:26 PM   #347
Chevette

Nice "bright work", Dan. That buffed up real good.

Question: Know how to sell your truck for $50,000?
Answer: Spend $100,000 building it.
Chevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:29 PM   #348
Dan in Pasadena

Thanks. But if you look at the top one you can see its pecked to hell. Bugs me cause all it would have taken to keep that from happening would have been to polish them like one a year or three!
Old 03-17-2013, 10:31 PM   #349
Clarance J

Hello Dan. I just recently put my head light stuff back into the fenders along with the park lights. I have to work on the bezels some because I don't like the way they fit. Just a little tweeking to do. I'm glad that there was'nt more rust damage on your truck. After all these years so many of these trucks are quite a problem in that area. I've enjoyed reading your posts and up dates.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:38 PM   #350
Clarance J

Wow. I had'nt seen your bezels. They did clean up real nice. I like yours better than mine. They were painted white.