The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading > 4x4 Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-19-2007, 08:54 PM   #1
Woz05
Account Suspended

My first project. '70 GMC swb 4x4

This is my first old car/truck project.

It's a 1970 GMC 1/2 ton shortbox 4wd. Theres no motor in it, but theres a turbo 350 automatic with a B&M ratchet shifter on the floor and a NP-205 transfer case. I got it for $1500 bucks (talked him down from $2500), I'm not really sure if that was a good deal or not, you guys can be the judge of that.

I'm in the process of converting it over to a 67/68 Chevy front end. So its all tore apart right now, and I'm getting ready to start putting replacement panels in the cab (corners, supports, rockers, outer floor). Ive also got some of the frame in the front cleaned up and painted with por-15 and some of the firewall has been cleaned up and painted with rustoleum black paint

Attached Images

Last edited by N2TRUX; 09-20-2007 at 11:28 PM. Reason: Edited the sell/trade reference
Woz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 08:55 PM   #2
Woz05
Account Suspended

Re: My first project. '70 GMC swb 4x4

More pictures
Attached Images

Old 09-19-2007, 09:09 PM   #3
xshadow

Looks like a good deal to me. I would have bought it for 1500.00. I think it will be a sweet truck with the 67/68 clip on it.
I use to have one with a lift kit on it. I loved the way it looked but it rode stiff. It didn't handle very good at all..

brake hose looks a little short in the rear...or it may just look like that in the picture.
xshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 09:10 PM   #4
special-K
Special Order

Sorry,it sucks to take something as rare as that short K/1500 GMC and cobble it into a 5x more common Chevy.Especially in rusty old Syracuse.Don`t be too offended,it`s just my opinion and your truck.Just disrespectful IMO.You couldn`t find a Chevy?

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 09:22 PM   #5
Woz05
Account Suspended

I couldn't find shortbox chevy or gmcs around the area anywhere, I wasn't even really looking for a 4wd, but this is what I found so I'm gonna use it as a platfrom to build what I want.

Are GMC K-1500's that rare anyways? If so, I'll trade with some one for a 67/68 chevy shortbox truck

Oh and no offense taken. Everyone's entitled to an opinion, especially on this site. I respect what all of you have to say. There are so many very knowledgable people on this site.

Last edited by Woz05; 09-19-2007 at 09:25 PM.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:54 PM   #6
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

I wouldn't call it disrespectful. I would do the same because I do not care for the look of the GMC. I would look for a Chevy, but if the GMC grill was the only thing stopping me from having the truck I wanted, I'd change the grill. Just my .02
'69 GMC C3500, dump truck, 351 V6, NP435
'84 M1009 CUCV Military Blazer

67 C-30 Turbodiesel build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=254096

My trucks
http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ediafilter=all

Member of the 1-Ton Club!
67_C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 10:06 PM   #7
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
I don't want to sound like the thread police but you should probably edit your first post and remove the part about the GMC stuff being for sale. The board rules say you have to be a paid member to post things for sale and the stuff has to be posted on the "parts for sale" board. This is not a flame just a heads up so your thread doesn't get locked.....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 10:15 PM   #8
ksjh1316
Account Suspended

I agree its your project do what you want with it but the GMC 4x4 SWB is a rate animal make sure to pay your money and change your name to blue so the rest of us GMC parts vultures can help you unload those parts lol
ksjh1316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 10:28 PM   #9
CG
BlahBlahBlah

I like the Chevy front ends better too. And personally (my opinion) I doubt these trucks will ever be as collectible as similar year cars, so I wouldn't worry about doing whatever you want to it. You wont be retiring on the proceeds of the sale when you are 60.

The thing I like best about your truck is the seats...I would love to have a set of those. Go ahead and ship em out to me if you like. Heck I would even pay for you to become a paying board member. Ok, I guess thats not the best deal for you considering it only costs 25 bucks.
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 10:29 PM   #10
Woz05
Account Suspended

What do you mean? "the GMC 4x4 SWB is a rate animal make sure to pay your money and change your name to blue"
Old 09-19-2007, 10:30 PM   #11
Angelo

GMC trucks are cooooooooooooooooooooooooool , just like their brother's Chevrolet
Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 10:43 PM   #12
ksjh1316
Account Suspended

sorry ment rare animal and the change your name to blue was a reference to becoming a board member to be able to sell the parts. I have yet to sell anything but the info on this site was well worth the $25 I spent
ksjh1316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 10:49 PM   #13
xshadow

I just don't like the Gmc grill as much as chevy. to each his own. I would just go with what I like, and if later on the truck is worth 20 times more as a gmc...It is still a gmc and nothing is stopping you from changing it back. By the time it is worth sooooo much more it may be time to have a new paint job anyway.
You probably won't find people lining up to trade you. If you do maybe you can swap it for a truck in better condition or have the other person throw in some $$$$ for the trade because it is soooooooooo much more rare. But I realy don't think that it is rare enough that someone will do that. I don't know alot about production numbers or survivors but are the GMC shortbeds really that much more rare than a 67/68 chevy shortbed 4x4. I would bet that if a gmc guy wanted to trade you and you asked for +$ the gmc guy would say that the gmc wasn't worth more than chevys
Old 09-19-2007, 10:57 PM   #14
wibilly

i sure wish mine was a gmc,if was still in ny i would sure trade you a 67 short box 2wd fo it, but it's a little to far for me to transport.i do have to get out that way to see my family sometime though. good luck on your build whatever you decide to do. if it were me i'd loose the lift and stay with the 4 eyes
Old 09-19-2007, 11:05 PM   #15
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xshadow View Post
I just don't like the Gmc grill as much as chevy. to each his own. I would just go with what I like, and if later on the truck is worth 20 times more as a gmc...It is still a gmc and nothing is stopping you from changing it back. By the time it is worth sooooo much more it may be time to have a new paint job anyway.
You probably won't find people lining up to trade you. If you do maybe you can swap it for a truck in better condition or have the other person throw in some $$$$ for the trade because it is soooooooooo much more rare. But I realy don't think that it is rare enough that someone will do that. I don't know alot about production numbers or survivors but are the GMC shortbeds really that much more rare than a 67/68 chevy shortbed 4x4. I would bet that if a gmc guy wanted to trade you and you asked for +$ the gmc guy would say that the gmc wasn't worth more than chevys
The reality is that if even if the GMC is rarer, the Chevy is more desireable to the masses, and will worth more money restored. The nicest SWB big block powered Grande Sierras do not bring the quite the money that a similiar condition Cheyenne Super will...
'69 GMC C3500, dump truck, 351 V6, NP435
'84 M1009 CUCV Military Blazer

67 C-30 Turbodiesel build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=254096

My trucks
http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ediafilter=all

Member of the 1-Ton Club!
67_C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 11:22 PM   #16
xshadow

I totally agree..... "The reality is that if even if the GMC is rarer, the Chevy is more desirable to the masses, and will worth more money restored."......
IMO it will stay that way for years to come.
I see rants about changing GMCs to chevys from time to time. BUT I've seen many trucks on here sell parted out, and then sent to the crusher that was really a shame to part out. Some in much much better shape than what board members have for projects or more rust free than the GMCs that are being changed over....a rant for changing a grill radiator support and tailgate but none for a perfectly good truck being destroyed...
Turning a truck into what you like verses turning a buck.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:18 AM   #17
Woz05
Account Suspended

Im glad you like the seat CG. I like them too besides the fact that the previous owner welded them to the floor so where they sit is where they stay unless I cut them off, the seats dont slide or anything they're just fixed right there. Luckily where they are fits me.

Does anyone know what those seats are out of. Someone told me they look like seats out of a 69 camaro.

As far as the lift is concerned, I believe there is just blocks under the leaf springs in the front and back so it wouldn't be tough to take those out. I may do that, but its the least of my worries right now. I just wanna get the thing fixed and put back together and throw an engine in it so I can drive it next summer. It's my project on the weekends. I come home almost every weekend from school to work on it, and I have parts in my townhouse that Im working on like the fenders and grill. Im also gonna start taking advantage of my schools utilities for sandblasting and stuff. (RIT has good stuff)
Old 09-20-2007, 06:43 AM   #18
special-K
Special Order

Who said anything about money?Are we investors or enthusiasts?That`s where my "disrespectful" comment comes from.And,as far as the masses that like the more abundant Chevys,yet can`t appreciate the simular GMCs,buy a Chevy.Chevys out style all American vehicles out there in my opinion.All the GM cars seem to be a Chevy that they changed something on to make it a Pontiac,Buick,or Olds.But,I don`t see people changing Cutlass,Lemans,or Skylarks to Chevelles.There are choices and most go Chevy,car or truck.There`s something cool beyond whether one grille looks better than a Chevy when it comes to having W-3,GS Stage,or GTO HO over and SS454 just like having a loaded Sierra Grande over a Cheyenne Super.Not everyone gets it.
All shortbed 4wds are somewhat rare.GMCs were built somewhere in the 1:5 ratio to Chevys.Is Ragamoes black truck in "Trucks For Sale" undesireable to most?Would you change that grille?That truck is awesome and to an investor ever bit as desireable,if not more,as a Cheyenne Super.

When it comes down to it,we`re all keeping these alive and that`s what counts.Just as we change them to our liking they can be changed back.Well except for the hacked-up frame draggers.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 08:11 AM   #19
steveshow
Account Suspended

I feel the Boyd Coddington reference is a moot point, since IMO, he is a total idiot and a-hole. Why tear up a complete Model T when you can buy repro bodies all day that are LESS WORK??? Judging from the last episode where the girl they hired got fired (because she was working on Boyd's trophy wife's (time to trade her in for a newer model, Boyd) car, his wife is a BEE-OTCH as well. After that episode, I took AMerican Hotrod off the DVR list. THat show has"JUMOED THE SHARK". I am tired of seeing rich a- holes write a check and claim a car as "MINE".

Back on subject, my dad and I just got through with a 71 GMC SWB step, 350 L6, 3 on tree, no options, radio delete. We started to change the front to a Chevy, as we had to replace the fenders anyway, and had the grille rechromed, but changed our minds. We like having something different and got quite a few + comments on it being a GMC at the first Make a Wish show we entered last weekend. I will try and get time to post pics soon.
steveshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 08:12 AM   #20
steveshow
Account Suspended

Sorry, I meant to say American Hotrod has "JUMPED THE SHARK"
steveshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 08:23 AM   #21
Woz05
Account Suspended

Hey jarosss4r I'm a third year Engineering Technology student at RIT, I really like it up there and they've helped me get a real good job. My summer co-op at Delphi has turned into a part-time job during the school year then back to full time when my next block comes up. I get to work on fuel cell research at delphi which is something i never imagined getting involved on, so ive benefitted from RIT so far. And your right about all the toys RIT has, all the stuff they have is pretty impressive. But between, classes, work, and this truck I stay real busy so im not getting into to much trouble, which is probably good.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:28 AM   #22
c-1072

hey if you need something while your in rochester give me a hollar i am always working on something .I like chevy front ends to but the gmc front ends are growing on me specialy when they are attached to a jimmy
names Todd

Last edited by c-1072; 09-20-2007 at 08:29 AM.
c-1072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 11:22 AM   #23
Woz05
Account Suspended

Hey Todd, thats rel nice of you, if you end up needing some gmc stuff i just may have what you need so let me know. How close are you to RIT, I really only know the henrietta area out here although ive gone down to the delphi plant in the city a few times for work things so im starting to know the city a little.

Oh an of course, I know where the dinosaur barbeque is
Old 09-20-2007, 12:36 PM   #24
Luvlegs

Woz,
What part of Syracuse? It was my stomping grounds when I was younger (grew up on the north shore of Oneida Lake)....

Wear your PPE! You can eat with false teeth but you can't see with a false eye.

1959 Studebaker Silverhawk 350/400
1972 C10 L6 3OTT
2005 F350 - Built - whew!
Luvlegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 12:50 PM   #25
Woz05
Account Suspended

Actually I live in Central Square. I just put syracuse cause i figured people would know where that is. So im not to far from the north shore of oneida lake. Maybe you know the area.