The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork > Detailing

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-27-2016, 06:48 PM   #1
NC67Chev

Detailing questions/help

I've tried to care for the exterior of my cars through my adult life, but I really want to step it up a notch and do a better job going forward. For years, I've washed my cars on a regular basis and applied wax a couple of times a year, but they honestly never really look good enough that I find it rewarding. My purpose for starting this thread is to learn about what products and techniques I should be using. To keep organized, I'm going to try to break it up into sections:

1. Washing - Does it really make any difference what sponges, mitts, etc. are used? Is there any real difference between the wide variety of detergents/shampoos? Do you use the two bucket method? For hard water, what is the best way to prevent water spots? Are there deionizer users here? How about blowers? Does the sheeting method of rinsing help?

2. Drying - Whats the best way to thoroughly dry without leaving spots? Waffle weave products, chamois, water blades, blowers like metro blaster?

3. Clay - I know nothing about using clay, so any guidance would be great! What lubricant should be used?

4. Buffers - I realize that most serious detailers probably don't use dual action machines, but that's what I plan on using. Is the porter cable 7424 XP a good unit?

5. Buffing pads - This is new to me, so any points will be greatly appreciated. Is there a special way to clean them?

6. Buffing compounds - I have no clue.

7. Wax/Sealant - Please feel free to make recommendations. I've been using carnauba based waxes for forever, but I think I'm ready to try sealants. Microfiber for removal? Is there anything special to cleaning the microfiber, other than not washing it with other types of fabric?

8. What to do with water spots? Both clear coat and non-clear coat paint.

I'm sure there are many other questions that I should be asking, so please feel free to offer any other tips you can think of.

I realize there are a lot of questions here, but I appreciate any guidance you can provide. I just want to find a routine that works well and stick to it. Thank you for your help!

Upgrades: Power steering, Offset air cleaner, Rear Sport bumper, 3 point safety belts, HEI, -1/-2 springs, 16x5 wheels, McGaughy's disc brake conversion, Sway bar
NC67Chev is offline   Reply With Quote