The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-05-2010, 04:55 PM   #1
dave2953
Dave's not here, man

Wireless router causing slow connection

My current bandwidth speed is an alleged 6.0 Mbps. If I connect either of my computers directly to the modem, it's stupid fast. However, when I have them connected through the router (wired or wireless) the connection is quite slow and I typically get server errors when pages try to load, which requires several refreshes in order to see the page. Could the router be the cause of this? I imagine that's where the problem lies but don't understand why. I tried resetting the router to factory default settings which had no effect on the problem whatsoever. Has anyone else experienced this? The router is fairly new and was purchased about 8 months ago. It's a Belkin Model F6D4230-4 v1. Is there something better that anyone could recommend or am I missing something simple that could be causing this problem. Thanks in advance!

Dave
dave2953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 05:08 PM   #2
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Re: Wireless router causing slow connection

I suspect something is not setup right on the router. Probably a default setting (like set for Dynamic instead of PPPoE). I would find out what you Providers required settings are and then connect with a cable (not wireless) to the router and log into it as the admin and check all your settings. That is the only thing I can think of at the moment with the info provided.

I am NOT a fan of Belkin products as they are always a pain to setup and tend to fail quickly.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 10:33 PM   #3
dave2953
Dave's not here, man

Is there one you could recommend? I may try and return this one if possible. I looked at some reviews on CNET but don't really know what to get. Thanks for the reply!
dave2953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 10:35 PM   #4
BigDan3131

I had a problem like your too at one time, it turned out to being just too old a router. I'm just the opposite I love Belkin. I had a surge protector die and they replaced it straight away no questions asked. I bought the N+ wireless router and its setup is quick and easy. Something you might check out is running speedtest.net during peak times to see if it isn't someone nearby sucking all your bandwidth.
BigDan3131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 02:01 PM   #5
screwballl
Tonawanda 454

Belkins are bottom of the barrel and best used for when nothing else is available... otherwise get a Linksys which is now owned by Cisco, the network specialty people.
I myself have a Linksys WRT54G router with custom DD-WRT firmware and my 12-15Mb connection, I usually see downloads come in 800kbps to 1.5Mbps, wired or wireless.

I also have a old Belkin 54G router that I use only for some older wireless items that use B only wireless signal so I don't lower the connection on the Linksys. Otherwise the Belkin continues to have the same problems you mentioned and I have gone over every setting with a fine tooth comb.
-------------------

Last edited by screwballl; 07-06-2010 at 02:03 PM.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 01:23 AM   #6
fastwillie 696969
~Rest In Peace~

smc router no problems

B___H please, I can remove 90% of your so called "beauty" with a kleenex
fastwillie 696969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 01:18 PM   #7
screwballl
Tonawanda 454

Agreed, SMC has always had quality hardwired routers, I have used a few so long they finally died of old age (8-10 years) a year ago which is when I replaced it with the Linksys I mentioned.... BUT their wireless can be flaky depending on the model.
-------------------
Old 07-12-2010, 08:45 AM   #8
wigadore

I finally gave up on trying to work with all the low end home routing devices as they all have their issues. Slow connection needing reboots, firmware updates, ISP requires this or that. I bought a Cisco ASA 5505 and I have never had an issue again. It's a better firewall and appliance then any Belkin, Linksys, SMC, etc... and I have been going strong with no intervention for 3 years.
wigadore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:25 AM   #9
screwballl
Tonawanda 454

The internet company I work for uses mostly Cisco network equipment... several pieces are over 10 years old without a single problem.
-------------------

Last edited by screwballl; 07-12-2010 at 11:26 AM.
Old 12-20-2018, 01:43 AM   #10
Ambrose
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by screwballl View Post
Belkins are bottom of the barrel and best used for when nothing else is available... otherwise get a Linksys which is now owned by Cisco, the network specialty people.
I myself have a Linksys WRT54G modem routers for Comcast with custom DD-WRT firmware and my 12-15Mb connection, I usually see downloads come in 800kbps to 1.5Mbps, wired or wireless.

I also have a old Belkin 54G router that I use only for some older wireless items that use B only wireless signal so I don't lower the connection on the Linksys. Otherwise the Belkin continues to have the same problems you mentioned and I have gone over every setting with a fine tooth comb.
Is there one you could recommend? Has anyone else experienced this?
Ambrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 11:10 AM   #11
my56chevytruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave2953 View Post
Is there one you could recommend? I may try and return this one if possible. I looked at some reviews on CNET but don't really know what to get. Thanks for the reply!
I don't believe it's your router, but your connection speed you are paying for. We had similar problems and found out you can purchase faster/higher speeds. We went from 5 to 15mbps and today NO PROBLEMS!! Also, have your internet company come out and review the wiring from the outside to your router. Make the wiring a dedicated line to your router.
my56chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 12:40 PM   #12
NorCalC20LWB

No mention of Netgear routers, it's what I use. Are they supposed to be good ones?
NorCalC20LWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 02:59 PM   #13
Rickysnickers

Yes, they are. I just upgraded my router so I could give my old Asus to my mom. I got her a Echo for Christmas.

Since it was brought up, what exactly is PPPoE and how do you set that up? My router is set to the Dynamic setting. If the PPPoE is faster then I would like to try that.
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 07:49 PM   #14
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

PPPOE is a specific standard in networking. It was used primarily in the earlier DSL days. You are limited to what your provider has you using. Most today are DHCP. Speed difference between the 2 over the same path is negligible. Remember this post started 8 years ago. We have gone thru quiet a few changes since those posts were made.

Net gear seems to be one of the better routers today. I use to use nothing but Linksys, but since CISCO sold that line, they don't seem to have the quality of the older days.

Also remember, wired connections are ALWAYS faster than a wireless connection. So if you have the opportunity to use a cable between your router/modem and the device, do it.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!

Last edited by Palf70Step; 12-21-2018 at 01:42 PM.
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 07:57 PM   #15
The Rocknrod

Today must jest be a bad day for wireless connections.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 08:58 PM   #16
Boog
laying low

When our cable was put in by ATT we were told it could handle a million mbps. It's our equipment that is lacking. Our new IT guy is replacing the wiring and equipment in all of our locations and getting rid of all wireless setups. They've budgeted $1 million for it so it better be much better.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 10:46 AM   #17
Rickysnickers

Thanks Bill,

After asking kind of dumb question, I decided I should probably try to figure it out myself, using Google. What you said is exactly what I learned. Thanks for taking the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step View Post
PPPOE is a specific standard in networking. It was used primarily in the earlier DSL days. You are limited to what your provider has you using. Most today are DHCP. Speed difference between the 2 over the same path is negligible. Remem,ber this post started 8 years ago. We have gone thru quiet a few changes since those posts were made.

Net gear seems to be one of the better routers today. I use to use nothing but Linksys, but since CISCO sold that line, they don't seem to have the quality of the older days.

Also remember, wired connections are ALWAYS faster than a wireless connection. So if you have the opportunity to use a cable between your router/modem and the device, do it.

Last edited by Palf70Step; 12-21-2018 at 01:41 PM.
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote