The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-30-2018, 12:21 PM   #1
CPride

Noob Question: 72 C10 Engine Suggestions

Hey I figured I would defer to the experts, here because I most certainly am not. I am hooked and learning all I can via my new to me C10. She has the original headers and has been modified with eddelbrock carb among a few others. Tranny needs a rebuild or replace. Trying to decide between a rebuild or new engine for her. She has a nice patina and IMO looks great stock but I'm debating either souping her up a bit or just going to cheap route and rebuilding what I have.

I know you guys have been stuck making this decision before so I would love to hear what you used to decide. If you went for a new engine, which one did you end up with? from where?

CPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 12:33 PM   #2
rjs53

Re: Noob Question: 72 C10 Engine Suggestions

Gotta see some pictures. If your going with a carbureted motor just get the original rebuilt. A crate motor with some power say 350/400hp will run around 5k unless you get everything. Crab, intake, distributor, wires, plugs water pump. You could go LS make it a little more driver friendly. Go salvage yard on that combo, or buy a complete running vehicle and strip everything you need off it. It all depends on what you want to do with it.
rjs53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 12:40 PM   #3
jocko

Is it the original engine? If not, what is it out of? Crates can range from mild to wild. Stock replacements (260 or 290 hp GM Gen 1) are around 2K. An exceptional alternative is the L31R - has vortec heads and requires an electric fuel pump, but it can be had for around $1800-2100 from Radley Chev or Summit. Notable performance difference over stock. If budget allows, GM's HT383 is an exceptional perf engine, but now you're getting to the $4-5K world. There are several rebuilding companies you can choose from in the middle of those extremes. Replacing an engine with a junkyard engine, unless yours has a piston hanging out the side of the block, is, at the very least, a gamble. It's just exchanging one set of problems for another. But it depends on what your current problems are. If original, I'd rebuild. If not, I'd go low end crate, either the Gen 1 or the L31R (probably the latter). Think ahead on your trans stuff as well - figure out what your rear gearing is and decided if you want an overdrive trans like a 700R4 or something like that, and that will guide your decision on trans rebuild vs replace. Throw some pics up when you can! Welcome.

Here are some links:
Radley L31R: https://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-OEM-NEW-...nA85:rk:2:pf:0
Summit L31R (SAME engine as 1st): https://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-12530283
Summit L31: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-12681432
Summit GM Gen 1: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/n...1429/overview/
Summit GM HT383: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-19355720

You really can't beat the Radley price for an L31R. Sumimt has em on sale for almost the same price from time to time. If you window shop at Summit, you can get an idea what's out there.
Lots of folks will upgrade an L31 or L31R with a better cam to really perk it up. It has good compression and great heads, ripe for a cam change. But certainly not required. If you google L31 on here you'll find a lot of info.

Last edited by jocko; 12-30-2018 at 12:55 PM.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 01:16 PM   #4
notsolo

Your driving habits may, help you decide how much power you want. As Jocko gave you a great stating point. Putting a 46 yr old truck back to Original is possible, not always easy... serpentine belt set up IMO is easier to deal with, more parts available for later models, smaller A/C compressor....etc.if you want that... 4 speed overdrive trans for highway ...Photo's of what you have will help.
notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 02:16 PM   #5
weim55

If this is all new territory to you I would highly recommend finding a competent shop that specializes in old vehicles and pay the money for a full assessment of everything. It would be money well spent and will provide you with a true baseline of exactly what you're starting with. No sense spending money on something that might not need it and you might find some other areas that need attention that are more important. Plus you will learn a great deal about your truck from someone that has experience.

Steve weim55 Colorado
weim55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 06:23 PM   #6
truckster

While LS swaps are very popular these days, I like the L31 Vortec. You get the advantages of free-flowing heads, roller cam, and one-piece rear main seal, and you can run it with a carburetor and HEI. I like the combination of reliability and old school. You'll need a few extra parts - the Vortec heads require a different intake manifold, and the flex plate will have to be changed, as well as a mellonized distributor gear. You'll probably need an electric fuel pump, as most L31 blocks are not drilled for mechanical fuel pumps. I got lucky and found one that was. I installed a HT 383 cam and should be putting out about 335 HP and 400 ft-lbs of torque.
Old 01-05-2019, 06:55 PM   #7
CPride

Thanks everyone. I'm still undecided. I took her to a guy recommended who does engines and he had a lot of good ideas. We could get in to 7-10k pretty quick, like I suspected.

I'm starting to lean more toward a rebuild. I have a pretty good 350 in there, as it turns out, just going with another edelbrock considering i can just drive over there and pick it up. He's talking 2800 for the engine, trans w/o labor. I'm being told by a local mechanic he's cheaper than anyone I will find and another buddy agreed it's a good price.

The guy's going to let me paint the engine compartment and I'm guessing if I don't act like a jackass, help a little with putting it back in. I'm stoked. Thanks guys. Another friend recommended a lot of the same engines, (leaning toward the L31 Vortec)

I plan on driving her around for quite a while so after I do a few things with the interior and body I may look at tricking her out but for now she's a damn fine work truck.

(for some reason I can't post a pic https://www.dropbox.com/s/xuohkhl6jw...08.36.jpg?dl=0

Old 01-05-2019, 07:37 PM   #8
rjs53

Rebuilding what you have is a great idea. You can use some of you existing parts. Distributor, intake and carburetor. If budget allows I would splurge for a set of heads. Nothing extravagant maybe a set of vortecs drilled for old style intake. A mild cam and 9.5.1 compression will get you 400ftlbs of torque and 350hp and you can use the mechanical fuel pump. Lots of routes to go with the gen1.
rjs53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 12:30 AM   #9
Sheepdip

I would suggest if your transmission is a Turbo 350 upgrading to a 200-4R. It's a OD trans that bolts right up and in, same case size, same yoke, same driveline length.

They are factory with a lockup converter but you can just run a non locking available thru Summit and other suppliers.
Only mod is to move the rear tranny cross member a few inches towards the rear.
Sheepdip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 10:10 AM   #10
CPride

Well....after a ton of thinking, going through the engine, figuring costs, I went ahead and opted for a rebuild. This was my first and...holy smokes did I learn a lot. There's a great shop in Long Beach. The owner let me stick around to do some of the work. I'm sure you guys can understand how cool it is to figure something out and have it run right. Anyway thanks for the suggestions guys. Off to do the interior.